* Empty first line when tangling
@ 2011-06-09  8:42 Rainer M Krug
From: Rainer M Krug @ 2011-06-09  8:42 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

Hi

when tangling the following with Org-mode version 7.5
(release_7.5.358.g5194), test.R begins with an empty line - but when
tangling with 7.5, it does not start with an empty line.

The empty line occurs *after* the shebang. Empty lines are usually not a
problem, but I am using
http://orgmode.org/worg/org-contrib/babel/examples/Rpackage.html for a
package, and this empty line makes my DESCRIPTION file invalid.
For the moment I am reverting to 7.5, but it would be great if this could be
fixed.

* test
#+begin_src R :tangle test.R :shebang
This is
a test
#+end_src

Cheers,

Rainer

UCT), Dipl. Phys. (Germany)

Stellenbosch University
South Africa

Tel :       +33 - (0)9 53 10 27 44
Cell:       +33 - (0)6 85 62 59 98
Fax (F):       +33 - (0)9 58 10 27 44

Fax (D):    +49 - (0)3 21 21 25 22 44

email:      Rainer@krugs.de

Skype:      RMkrug

* Re: Empty first line when tangling
@ 2011-06-09 14:46 ` Eric Schulte
From: Eric Schulte @ 2011-06-09 14:46 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Rainer M Krug; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

Rainer M Krug <r.m.krug@gmail.com> writes:

> Hi
>
> when tangling the following with Org-mode version 7.5
> (release_7.5.358.g5194), test.R begins with an empty line - but when
> tangling with 7.5, it does not start with an empty line.
>
> The empty line occurs *after* the shebang. Empty lines are usually not a
> problem, but I am using
> http://orgmode.org/worg/org-contrib/babel/examples/Rpackage.html for a
> package, and this empty line makes my DESCRIPTION file invalid.
> For the moment I am reverting to 7.5, but it would be great if this could be
> fixed.
>
> * test
> #+begin_src R :tangle test.R :shebang
> This is
> a test
> #+end_src

Hi Rainer,

I actually believe that the current behavior is the more "correct"
behavior, however I'm not sure if the default padding behavior is
technically specified when no ":padline" header argument is given.

The following combination of header arguments results in the desired
behavior.  Note that the shebang line isn't required, I was just using
it to easily view file contents and to see if an empty line was inserted
between shebang and contents.

#+begin_src R :tangle test.R :shebang #!/bin/cat :padline no
This is
a test
#+end_src

Best -- Eric

--
Eric Schulte
http://cs.unm.edu/~eschulte/

* Re: Empty first line when tangling
@ 2011-06-09 14:59   ` Rainer M Krug
From: Rainer M Krug @ 2011-06-09 14:59 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Eric Schulte; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

On Thu, Jun 9, 2011 at 4:46 PM, Eric Schulte <schulte.eric@gmail.com> wrote:

> Rainer M Krug <r.m.krug@gmail.com> writes:
>
> > Hi
> >
> > when tangling the following with Org-mode version 7.5
> > (release_7.5.358.g5194), test.R begins with an empty line - but when
> > tangling with 7.5, it does not start with an empty line.
> >
> > The empty line occurs *after* the shebang. Empty lines are usually not a
> > problem, but I am using
> > http://orgmode.org/worg/org-contrib/babel/examples/Rpackage.html for a
> > package, and this empty line makes my DESCRIPTION file invalid.
> > For the moment I am reverting to 7.5, but it would be great if this could
> be
> > fixed.
> >
> > * test
> > #+begin_src R :tangle test.R :shebang
> > This is
> > a test
> > #+end_src
> >

> Hi Rainer,
>
> I actually believe that the current behavior is the more "correct"
> behavior, however I'm not sure if the default padding behavior is
> technically specified when no ":padline" header argument is given.
>
> The following combination of header arguments results in the desired
> behavior.  Note that the shebang line isn't required, I was just using
> it to easily view file contents and to see if an empty line was inserted
> between shebang and contents.

Thanks - that is working. But :padline does not seem to be in the manual?

Thanks for your help,

Rainer

@ 2011-06-09 15:37     ` Eric Schulte
From: Eric Schulte @ 2011-06-09 15:37 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Rainer M Krug; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

Hi Rainer,

There is a section on the :padline header argument in the "Specific
Header Arguments" section of the Org-mode documentation, however you
most likely need a more recent version of the documentation loaded.

This header and documentation were added in March.

,----
| commit d0a4ed53f16ec84e042e7bb845ea80f6377c30cc
| Author: Eric Schulte <schulte.eric@gmail.com>
| Date:   Tue Mar 15 11:11:26 2011 -0600
|
|     ob: new header argument `padline' controls newline padding around tangled code
|
|     * lisp/ob-tangle.el (org-babel-spec-to-string): Check value of padline
|       on tangling, no longer use the now-removed variable
|       `org-babel-tangle-pad-newline'.
|     * lisp/ob.el (org-babel-header-arg-names): Add padline to the list of
|       header argument names.
|       (org-babel-default-header-args): Set the default value of padline to
|       "yes".
|       (org-babel-merge-params): Cleaned up the merge logic, added padline.
|     * doc/org.texi (padline): Documentation of the new padline header
|       argument.

`----

Best -- Eric

--