* org-remember from anywhere
@ 2012-07-08 22:34 Paul Whipp
From: Paul Whipp @ 2012-07-08 22:34 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

Hi there,

I've been enjoying org-mode for a good few months now and I love it.

I'm using the following versions in both Ubuntu 10.04 on my desktop
and 12.04 on my laptop.

#+BEGIN_SRC lisp
(org-version)
Org-mode version 7.8.11
"Org-mode version 7.8.11"
(emacs-version)
"GNU Emacs 24.1.50.1 (i486-pc-linux-gnu, GTK+ Version 2.20.1)
 of 2012-05-25 on muntries, modified by Debian"
#+END_SRC

I've recently started using org-remember/capture and its working well
although I found the presence of org-remember and org-capture
confusing.

I have been trying to get the capture working from anywhere using
[[http://orgmode.org/worg/org-contrib/org-protocol.html][this guide]]
so that it drops the captured note into my misc journal. It works fine
when I'm in emacs (which is about 50% of my working time). Here is my
setup:

#+BEGIN_SRC lisp
;;; Capture setup
(org-remember-insinuate)
(setq org-directory "~/notes/")
(setq org-default-notes-file (concat org-directory "misc.org"))
(setq org-remember-default-headline "Incoming")
(define-key global-map "\C-cr" 'org-remember)
(setq org-remember-templates
      '(("Todo" ?t "* TODO %^{Title} %u\n%?\n%i\n%a\n")))

;;; Capture from anywhere
(require 'org-protocol)

(defun org-protocol-capture (data)
  ;; Capture (ignore data for now)
  (org-remember))

(add-to-list 'org-protocol-protocol-alist
	     '("Remember"
	       :protocol "my-org-capture"
	       :function org-protocol-capture))
#+END_SRC

(start-server) is called earlier in the setup.

I intend to stick the command line invokation onto a hot key
combination so I can enter emacs notes from anywhere.
(orb-protocol-capture) works in emacs but when I try the command line
I get this:

#+BEGIN_SRC sh
~ $ emacsclient org-protocol://org-capture//
Waiting for Emacs...
\*ERROR*: Wrong type argument: stringp, org-capture
~ $ emacsclient org-protocol://org-capture//foo
Waiting for Emacs...
\*ERROR*: Wrong type argument: stringp, org-capture
#+END_SRC

What am I doing wrong?

Feel free to point me at the right manual or guide. From the notes it
looked like this feature might once have been built in.

Regards,
Paul Whipp

Office: 07 3103 2894
Mobile: 0410 545 357

Do more business with your website!

Joomla, Python, PHP and MySQL web application developer

PS: I usually export the org as html but for some reason the above
headed section just did nothing. A separate issue I'll look into
sometime but if anyone knows the answer I'd be grateful.

* Re: org-remember from anywhere
@ 2012-07-12  8:06 ` Bastien
From: Bastien @ 2012-07-12  8:06 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Paul Whipp; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

Hi Paul,

Paul Whipp <paul.whipp@gmail.com> writes:

> What am I doing wrong?

You are using both `org-remember' and `org-capture'.
You should use either one or the other.

Please refresh your configuration using `org-capture'
only and report further problems.

org-remember will surely be removed from Org before 8.0.

HTH,

--
 Bastien