* Minibuffer jumping to two lines when agenda displays 3rd level heading
@ 2013-03-18 15:19 Edward DeMeulle
                   ` (2 more replies)
From: Edward DeMeulle @ 2013-03-18 15:19 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

I don't if this is a bug or a feature however to me it's just
annoying. I've recently noticed that when moving up and down the agenda
some entries will cause the minibuffer to expand to two lines while
others make it shrink back to one. From bouncing around a bit, the one
thing in common I noticed is that each of the entries that cause the
jump to two lines are on a third level heading (***). Is this
intentional and is there a way to make it stop?

GNU Emacs 24.1.1 (x86_64-pc-linux-gnu, GTK+ Version 2.24.12) of
2012-09-22 on batsu, modified by Debian

Org-mode version 8.0-pre (release_8.0-pre-116-g65cde8 @
/home/ewd/.emacs.pkg/org-mode/lisp/)

-ED-

* Re: Minibuffer jumping to two lines when agenda displays 3rd level heading
@ 2013-03-18 16:59 ` ed
From: ed @ 2013-03-18 16:59 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

FWIW, the minibuffer behavior does not occur in NTEmacs.

GNU Emacs 24.2.50.1 (i386-mingw-nt5.1.2600) of 2012-08-24 on YAMALOK

* Re: Minibuffer jumping to two lines when agenda displays 4th level heading
@ 2013-03-26  4:31 ` Edward DeMeulle
From: Edward DeMeulle @ 2013-03-26  4:31 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

Edward DeMeulle <ed@demeulle.org> writes:

Just realized that I was incorrect about the level. It is actually when
moving the cursor in the agenda to a 4th level heading that the
minibuffer expands in size to two lines and then back to one line when
moving to another entry that isn't 4th level. This happens under Linux
but not Windows.

Am I the only one experiencing this?

-ED-

* Re: Minibuffer jumping to two lines when agenda displays 4th level heading
@ 2013-03-26  9:03   ` Sebastien Vauban
From: Sebastien Vauban @ 2013-03-26  9:03 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode-mXXj517/zsQ

Hello Edward,

Edward DeMeulle wrote:
> Just realized that I was incorrect about the level. It is actually when
> moving the cursor in the agenda to a 4th level heading that the minibuffer
> expands in size to two lines and then back to one line when moving to
> another entry that isn't 4th level. This happens under Linux but not
> Windows.
>
> Am I the only one experiencing this?

Try:

  ;; minibuffer window expands vertically as necessary to hold the text
  ;; that you put in the minibuffer
  (setq resize-mini-windows t)

(instead of the 'grow-only default)

Best regards,
  Seb

--
Sebastien Vauban

* Re: Minibuffer jumping to two lines when agenda displays 4th level heading
@ 2013-03-27  2:01     ` Edward DeMeulle
From: Edward DeMeulle @ 2013-03-27  2:01 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

Thanks for the response. Again, I'm afraid I wasn't clear enough. It's
not that the minibuffer is automatically growing to fit the information
display - that would make sense to me. The problem I'm having is that
the minibuffer is growing to two lines for no apparent reason. There is
plenty of room left on the line. The only thing I've noticed is that the
lines in the agenda that do cause the minibuffer to grow each are 4th
level headings (i.e. the minibuffer is showing up to the 3rd level
heading). So far, that's the only thing I've seen that they have in
common. The minibuffer grows to two lines on those particular items and
shrinks back to one line when the cursor is moved to the next or
previous line. It's the growing, shrinking, growing thing that is
annoying.

-ED-

* Re: Minibuffer jumping to two lines when agenda displays 3rd(4th) level heading
@ 2013-04-01  4:38 ` Edward DeMeulle
From: Edward DeMeulle @ 2013-04-01  4:38 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

In order to better describe the problem I see, I set up a simple example
file:

* H 1
  SCHEDULED: <2013-03-31 Sun>
** H 1a
   SCHEDULED: <2013-03-31 Sun>
** H 1b
*** H 1b1
    SCHEDULED: <2013-03-31 Sun>
**** H 1b1a
     SCHEDULED: <2013-03-31 Sun>
****** H 1b1a1
       SCHEDULED: <2013-03-31 Sun>
* H 2
  SCHEDULED: <2013-03-31 Sun>

In the agenda, when I move my cursor from 'H 1b1' to 'H 1b1a'
the minibuffer expands to two lines even though the path display is only
using a small portion of the line (ie not wrapping). It seems to have
more to do with the heading depth since the same 2-line minibuffer
continues when the cursor is in 'H 1b1a1' but drops back to 1-line when
moved to 'H 2'. Does anyone have any ideas why this is happening?

@ 2013-04-01  5:03   ` Edward DeMeulle
From: Edward DeMeulle @ 2013-04-01  5:03 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

Found the problem. Some color themes boldface the 3rd and 4th heading
levels and that causes the minibuffer to jump to 2 lines. No more
themes, no more jumping.

-ED-