* org-cook
@ 2014-03-15  7:24 Xebar Saram
From: Xebar Saram @ 2014-03-15  7:24 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: egh, org mode

Dear Eric and org users

i am a new(ish) org user and an avid cooker. i have started using
orgmodeas my recipe notebook and stumbled upon the old org-cook
thread.
Is there so documentation on this? do you still use it?
are there any other ideas/suggestions on using orgmode as a recipe notebook?
what i would mainly love is a way to "scrape" recipes off websites into org

thanks alot

* Re: org-cook
@ 2014-03-15 17:38 ` Erik Hetzner
From: Erik Hetzner @ 2014-03-15 17:38 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Xebar Saram; +Cc: org mode

At Sat, 15 Mar 2014 09:24:23 +0200,
Xebar Saram wrote:

> Dear Eric and org users
>
> i am a new(ish) org user and an avid cooker. i have started using
> orgmodeas my recipe notebook and stumbled upon the old org-cook
> thread.
> Is there so documentation on this? do you still use it?
> are there any other ideas/suggestions on using orgmode as a recipe notebook?
> what i would mainly love is a way to "scrape" recipes off websites into org

Hi Xebar,

I still use org to manage my recipes, but I don’t use the org-cook
features. It was kind of a proof of concept, and I think it could
prove useful, but it turns out I don’t often need to convert between
units.

I have been trying out the format described in [1]. I used to use a
format like:

  Grate zest from 3 of them. Combine. Add:
  - 2 tbsp peanut oil
  - 2 chicken bouillon cubes, crumbled
  - 5 onions, thinly julienned
  - salt and pepper

But the new one looks like:

  Grate zest from 3 of them. Combine. Add:
  | 2 tbsp  | peanut oil       |                  |
  | 2 cubes | chicken bouillon | crumbled         |
  | 5       | onions,          | thinly julienned |
  |         | salt and pepper  |                  |

I think the table structure should make it easier to manipulate,
change units, or create shopping lists. (But I create shopping lists
by hand.)

One hack I do use is the following function:

(defun org-random-element ()
  "Choose a random element from the buffer."
  (interactive)
  (let ((element-start -1)
        (count 1))
    (while (not (org-first-sibling-p))
      (org-goto-sibling t))
    (save-excursion
      (while (org-goto-sibling)
              (setq count (+ 1 count))))
    (org-forward-heading-same-level (random count))))

This chooses a random element from a list of headings. I use this to
plan meals. I just keep running the function until I see something
that I feel like cooking.

Hope that helps!

best, Erik

1. http://sachachua.com/blog/2012/06/emacs-org-grocery-lists-batch-cooking/

--
Sent from my free software system <http://fsf.org/>.

* Re: org-cook
@ 2014-03-15 18:03   ` Xebar Saram
From: Xebar Saram @ 2014-03-15 18:03 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Erik Hetzner; +Cc: org mode

Thanks so much for the tips Erik

i will explore the ingredients in table idea as suggested. do you know
perhaps of a way to quick format online recipes to an org table (that is
webpage html to org table) or perhaps a way to convert already entered
recipes in my org files to tables

kind regards

Z.

@ 2014-03-15 18:18     ` Erik Hetzner
From: Erik Hetzner @ 2014-03-15 18:18 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Xebar Saram; +Cc: org mode

At Sat, 15 Mar 2014 20:03:33 +0200,
Xebar Saram wrote:

> Thanks so much for the tips Erik
>
> i will explore the ingredients in table idea as suggested. do you know
> perhaps of a way to quick format online recipes to an org table (that is
> webpage html to org table) or perhaps a way to convert already entered
> recipes in my org files to tables

Hi Xebar,

Sadly, no. I like my recipes in a pretty terse style so when I put a
recipe in my org file I end up rewriting a good deal of the content,
so any automated translation probably wouldn’t work very well for me.
As for the translation to tables, I imagine a keybord macro could do a
lot of that work.

best, Erik

--

@ 2014-03-15 18:25     ` Alan Tyree
From: Alan Tyree @ 2014-03-15 18:25 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Xebar Saram; +Cc: Erik Hetzner, org mode

Pandoc can pull a web page, convert to Markdown and then to Org. That
doesn't do all you want, but maybe a start.

Cheers,
Alan

Tel:  04 2748 6206

* Re: org-cook
@ 2014-03-16  0:40       ` Robert Horn
From: Robert Horn @ 2014-03-16  0:40 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Erik Hetzner; +Cc: Xebar Saram, org mode

I also use tables, and have one big recipe.org file.  I considered
ingredient properties, etc., but ended up just text and find recipes by
using simple searches.  They look like this:

* Texas Skillet Corn Bread

| Ingredient             | Quantity | Instructions    |
|------------------------+----------+-----------------|
| Bacon drippings or oil | 1/4 cup  |                 |
| Yellow CornMeal        | 1 cup    |                 |
| All Purpose Flour      | 1 cup    |                 |
| Salt                   | 1/2 tsp  |                 |
| Baking Power           | 1 tsp    |                 |
| Baking Soda            | 1 tsp    |                 |
| Sugar                  | 1 tbs    | optional        |
| Buttermilk             | 1 cup    |                 |
| Eggs                   | 2        | slightly beaten |
|------------------------+----------+-----------------|

  1. Heat drippings in iron skillet

  2. In large mixing bowl, mix cornmeal, flour, salt, baking x, and sugar.

  3. Add buttermilk and stir rapidly.

  4. Add eggs and mix

  5. Add drippings

  6. Pour into skillet, cover, and cook on low heat until lightly
     browned and almost cooked through.

* Re: org-cook
@ 2014-03-17 14:22         ` Fletcher Charest
From: Fletcher Charest @ 2014-03-17 14:22 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Robert Horn; +Cc: Erik Hetzner, Xebar Saram, org mode

Hello everyone,

Since we are on this subject, are you aware of any package that would make
an 'automatic' shopping list based on recipes? My idea was to record
recipes in this format:

* Name of the recipe          :tag:

1) Step one.
2) Step two.
3) Step three.

:PROPERTIES:
:ingredient_1: quantity
:ingredient_2: quantity
:ingredient_3: quantity
:END:

Tags could be anything, be mainly things like 'breakfast', 'main course' or
'dessert'. Then, with the point on the headline, (in the file buffer or in
the agenda buffer), you could call a function that would add the ingredient
to a list, or increment its quantity if the ingredient is already there.
Maybe a function to add a random number of recipes (through a filter or
not) to the shopping list would be nice too, if you don't know what to cook
in a particular week.

I'm planning to do this but my Elisp-fu is not great... Any tips of how
implementing this? Are lists a good data structure for stocking the
shopping list, before dumping it in a buffer?

FC

@ 2014-03-17 14:26           ` Xebar Saram
From: Xebar Saram @ 2014-03-17 14:26 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fletcher Charest; +Cc: Erik Hetzner, org mode, Robert Horn

thank you all for the great answers

Fletcher, your idea sounds great, but why not use  org tables as people
suggested for ingredients. ive started using it yesterday and im very
pleased, in example:

*** COOK Pancakes    :American:

    :PROPERTIES:
    :Source: TV
    :Serves:
    :Time:
    :Rating:
    :Fav:
    :END:

    | Quantity | scale | Ingredient    | Instructions |
    |----------+-------+---------------+--------------|
    |        8 |       | eggs          |              |
    |        1 | liter | milk          |              |
    |      350 | g     | butter        | melted       |
    |      730 | g     | flour         |              |
    |       90 | g     | powderd sugar |              |
    |       60 | g     | baking powder |              |
    |       10 | g     | salt          |              |

_*Directions*:_

best

@ 2014-03-17 14:30             ` Fletcher Charest
From: Fletcher Charest @ 2014-03-17 14:30 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Xebar Saram; +Cc: Erik Hetzner, org mode, Robert Horn

That would be better yes, but it looked easier (to me and my limited
skills) to access properties through Emacs Lisp than accessing tables. Org
experts might have some useful tips.

FC

@ 2014-03-17 14:34             ` Ken Mankoff
From: Ken Mankoff @ 2014-03-17 14:34 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Xebar Saram; +Cc: Erik Hetzner, Fletcher Charest, org mode, Robert Horn

Hi,

This isn't directly related to Org, but I'll mention it anyway since
people are discussing quantities and "scale" for their
recipes. Various programming languages have "physical units" packages
that can make working with units quite fun. I use the python
"Quantities" package
http://pythonhosted.org/quantities/user/tutorial.html . It lets you
define custom quantities such as how many grams of butter are in a
stick, etc. A wrapper to this would let you convert Org recipe
shopping lists from units of "g" and "teaspoon" to units of "sticks"
and "fluid oz".

  -k.

@ 2014-03-17 14:52               ` Erik Hetzner
From: Erik Hetzner @ 2014-03-17 14:52 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Ken Mankoff; +Cc: Xebar Saram, Fletcher Charest, org mode, Robert Horn

At Mon, 17 Mar 2014 10:34:55 -0400,
Ken Mankoff wrote:

> Hi,
>
> This isn't directly related to Org, but I'll mention it anyway since
> people are discussing quantities and "scale" for their
> recipes. Various programming languages have "physical units" packages
> that can make working with units quite fun. I use the python
> "Quantities" package
> http://pythonhosted.org/quantities/user/tutorial.html . It lets you
> define custom quantities such as how many grams of butter are in a
> stick, etc. A wrapper to this would let you convert Org recipe
> shopping lists from units of "g" and "teaspoon" to units of "sticks"
> and "fluid oz".

Hi Ken,

emacs calc also handles units. For org-cook [1] I extended the
definitions as follows (calc already has definitions for fluid oz):

  (setq math-additional-units
    '((pinch "tsp / 8" "Pinch")
      (drop "tsp / 76" "Drop")
      (dash "drop * 6" "Dash")