* HTML table export options essentially undocumented
@ 2014-03-18  5:52 James Harkins
From: James Harkins @ 2014-03-18  5:52 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: orgmode

The documentation here seems rather un-detailed.

http://orgmode.org/manual/Tables-in-HTML-export.html#Tables-in-HTML-export

What I wanted to do was to have vertical rules between all columns, but not
horizontal rules. Neither this section of the documentation, nor the
docstring for org-html-table-default-attributes, provide any details on how
to do this.

It's a rather busy day and I'm not in the mood to scour through the elisp
sources, so, could someone please enlighten (and fix the docs)?

hjh

* Re: HTML table export options essentially undocumented
@ 2014-03-18  6:41 ` Vladimir Lomov
From: Vladimir Lomov @ 2014-03-18  6:41 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

Hello,
** James Harkins [2014-03-18 13:52:10 +0800]:

> The documentation here seems rather un-detailed.

> http://orgmode.org/manual/Tables-in-HTML-export.html#Tables-in-HTML-export

> What I wanted to do was to have vertical rules between all columns, but not
> horizontal rules. Neither this section of the documentation, nor the
> docstring for org-html-table-default-attributes, provide any details on how
> to do this.

> It's a rather busy day and I'm not in the mood to scour through the elisp
> sources, so, could someone please enlighten (and fix the docs)?

AFAIU, in current state table decoration is hard coded into exporter.
But that doesn't mean you cannot change they style. Take a look on this
small example:
------------------------------ 8< ------------------------------
#+TITLE: Table with borders
#+AUTHOR: Vladimir Lomov
#+HTML_HEAD_EXTRA: <link rel="stylesheet" type="text/css" href="tbl.css" />

* Small table

| Name         | Address        |
|--------------+----------------|
| Clifford, A. | Kensington Av. |
| Euler, G     | Krechet Str.   |

* CSS Style							   :noexport:

#+BEGIN_SRC css :tangle tbl.css
  table {
    border: solid 1px;
  }
  td {
    border: solid 1px;
  }
#+END_SRC
------------------------------ 8< ------------------------------

How to try: tangle the SRC block and then export the document into HTML.
Open it in any web-browser that supports CSS.

> hjh

---
WBR, Vladimir Lomov

--
Some people have a way about them that seems to say: "If I have
only one life to live, let me live it as a jerk."

* Re: HTML table export options essentially undocumented
@ 2014-03-18  8:46 ` Nicolas Goaziou
From: Nicolas Goaziou @ 2014-03-18  8:46 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: James Harkins; +Cc: orgmode

Hello,

James Harkins <jamshark70@gmail.com> writes:

> The documentation here seems rather un-detailed.
>
> http://orgmode.org/manual/Tables-in-HTML-export.html#Tables-in-HTML-export
>
> What I wanted to do was to have vertical rules between all columns,
> but not horizontal rules. Neither this section of the documentation,
> nor the docstring for org-html-table-default-attributes, provide any
> details on how to do this.

Did you try column groups?

  (info "(org) Column groups")

It is not back-end specific.

Nicolas Goaziou

* Re: HTML table export options essentially undocumented
@ 2014-03-19 10:08   ` James Harkins
From: James Harkins @ 2014-03-19 10:08 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Nicolas Goaziou; +Cc: Emacs-orgmode

On Mar 18, 2014 4:45 PM, "Nicolas Goaziou" <n.goaziou@gmail.com> wrote:
> Did you try column groups?
>
>   (info "(org) Column groups")
>
> It is not back-end specific.

No, I hadn't... I was in a rush and trying to do something that I thought
would be simple (and just a quick and dirty one-off export). Even given
more time, I'm not sure I would have thought to look in the tables section.

It may be useful to link to this from the page on tables in HTML export,
then.

@ 2014-03-19 10:32     ` Bastien
From: Bastien @ 2014-03-19 10:32 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: James Harkins; +Cc: jamshark70, Emacs-orgmode, Nicolas Goaziou

Hi James,

James Harkins <jamshark70@gmail.com> writes:

> It may be useful to link to this from the page on tables in HTML
> export, then.

I slightly enhance the "Tables in HTML export" section of the manual.

 Bastien