* can't make Agenda timestamp sorting work...
@ 2014-06-13  7:26 Eric Abrahamsen
From: Eric Abrahamsen @ 2014-06-13  7:26 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

Okay, I've read a fair bit in the archives here, and I can't see what
I'm doing wrong. I've globally set `org-agenda-sorting-strategy' to
'(ts-up). I want to sort TODO entries in the agenda by timestamp.

I can't figure out where to put the timestamp to make it work. It looks
like `org-cmp-ts' tries to get the 'timestamp text property from the
heading, but none of my headings display that property in that function.
I've festooned the headings with timestamps -- where is it supposed to
go?

** REPLY [[link]] <2014-06-13 Fri>
   <2014-07-13 Sun>
   :PROPERTIES: etc
   <2011-06-13 Mon>

Or is some other setting that's blocking this from taking effect? I
noticed other people in the archives saying that timestamps on heading
lines didn't appear in the Agenda, but mine do. Could that be related?

Puzzled,
Eric

* Re: can't make Agenda timestamp sorting work...
@ 2014-06-13  7:41 ` Samuel Wales
From: Samuel Wales @ 2014-06-13  7:41 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Eric Abrahamsen; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

a parser expert can correct me, but headline and after properties
should both be fine.  several of us rely on timestamps in headlines.

there is a [broken] variable to remove timestamps from headlines, but
i don't think it's relevant.

have you tried timestamp-up?

The disease DOES progress.  MANY people have died from it.  And
ANYBODY can get it.

Denmark: free Karina Hansen NOW.

* Re: can't make Agenda timestamp sorting work...
@ 2014-06-13  8:00   ` Eric Abrahamsen
From: Eric Abrahamsen @ 2014-06-13  8:00 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

> a parser expert can correct me, but headline and after properties
> should both be fine.  several of us rely on timestamps in headlines.
>
> there is a [broken] variable to remove timestamps from headlines, but
> i don't think it's relevant.
>
> have you tried timestamp-up?

That did it! Thanks so much. I was only trying ts-up and tsia-up. The
docstring might be wrong then when it says timestamp-up is for any
timestamp, and ts-up is for active timestamp -- you'd assume that the
one would simply be a subset of the other.

In fact this works so well that I don't need to change my capture
templates. When capturing from emails, I've got the template set up to
make the first body paragraph read "Receieved on [inactive timestamp]".
I suddenly realized I should be sorting on that for the agenda, and then
I assumed I'd have to change the template to put the date somewhere more
accessible, but timestamp-up finds it there.

Thanks again,

@ 2014-06-13  8:29   ` Eric Abrahamsen
From: Eric Abrahamsen @ 2014-06-13  8:29 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

> a parser expert can correct me, but headline and after properties
> should both be fine.  several of us rely on timestamps in headlines.
>
> there is a [broken] variable to remove timestamps from headlines, but
> i don't think it's relevant.
>
> have you tried timestamp-up?

Ugh, it doesn't work in a custom Agenda block, though...