* Bug: org-set-tags duplicates tags in org-tag-persistent-alist
@ 2015-05-11  5:09 Paul Rankin
From: Paul Rankin @ 2015-05-11  5:09 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

When setting org-tag-alist or org-tag-persistent-alist, calling org-set-tags or org-agenda-set-tags will populate select with both alist tags and any tags from tagged subheadings.

To reproduce:

    $ cat tmp.org
    * TODO task    :tag1:
    $ emacs -Q

    (setq org-tag-persistent-alist
          '(("tag1" . ?1)
            ("tag2" . ?2)))

    M-x eval-last sexp
    M-x find-file RET tmp.org
    M-x org-set-tags

    Inherited:
    Current:    tag1

      [1] tag1   [2] tag2   [t] tag1

"tag1" is duplicated.

This also occurs if tmp.org is added to agenda and org-agenda-set-tags is called, however this bug *compounds* with each additional agenda file containing tagged subheadings, e.g. if org-agenda-files contains five org files, each with subheadings tagged :work: then org-agenda-set-tags will populate with six :work: selections (org-tag-persistent-alist plus each additional file).

This bug appears to have been first reported back in 2012 but not investigated:
https://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/emacs-orgmode/2012-12/msg00470.html

GNU Emacs 24.5.1 (x86_64-apple-darwin14.3.0, NS apple-appkit-1347.57) of 2015-04-21 on Pauls-MacBook-Pro.local
Org-mode version 8.2.10 (8.2.10-40-gc763fa-elpa @ /Users/Paul/.emacs.d/elpa/org-20150504/)

* Re: Bug: org-set-tags duplicates tags in org-tag-persistent-alist
@ 2015-05-14 14:32 ` Nicolas Goaziou
From: Nicolas Goaziou @ 2015-05-14 14:32 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Paul Rankin; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

Hello,

Paul Rankin <hello@paulwrankin.com> writes:

> When setting org-tag-alist or org-tag-persistent-alist, calling org-set-tags or org-agenda-set-tags will populate select with both alist tags and any tags from tagged subheadings.
>
> To reproduce:
>
>     $ cat tmp.org
>     * TODO task    :tag1:
>     $ emacs -Q
>
>     (setq org-tag-persistent-alist
>           '(("tag1" . ?1)
>             ("tag2" . ?2)))
>
>     M-x eval-last sexp
>     M-x find-file RET tmp.org
>     M-x org-set-tags
>
>     Inherited:
>     Current:    tag1
>
>       [1] tag1   [2] tag2   [t] tag1
>
> "tag1" is duplicated.

I cannot reproduce it in development version. You may want to switch to it.

Nicolas Goaziou

* Re: Bug: org-set-tags duplicates tags in org-tag-persistent-alist
@ 2015-05-14 23:45   ` Paul Rankin
From: Paul Rankin @ 2015-05-14 23:45 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Nicolas Goaziou; +Cc: emacs-orgmode@gnu.org

> On 15 May 2015, at 12:32 am, Nicolas Goaziou <mail@nicolasgoaziou.fr> wrote:
>
> I cannot reproduce it in development version. You may want to switch to it.

I'm on the Org ELPA version, which appears to get updated a few times a month. How far apart are they?

If the alleged bug has been fixed in the development branch, is it worth then finding and merging with stable?

* Re: Bug: org-set-tags duplicates tags in org-tag-persistent-alist
@ 2015-05-16  8:07     ` Nicolas Goaziou
From: Nicolas Goaziou @ 2015-05-16  8:07 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Paul Rankin; +Cc: emacs-orgmode@gnu.org

Paul Rankin <hello@paulwrankin.com> writes:

> I'm on the Org ELPA version, which appears to get updated a few times
> a month. How far apart are they?

Very far away.

> If the alleged bug has been fixed in the development branch, is it
> worth then finding and merging with stable?

I don't think it is totally fixed, but it doesn't seem to appear anymore
under the circumstances you're describing.