* All TODOs are equal, but some are more equal than others...
@ 2015-09-20 11:54 Marcin Borkowski
From: Marcin Borkowski @ 2015-09-20 11:54 UTC (permalink / raw)

Dear collective Org-mind,

I really want to use the global todo list, but it's not that useful when
I have almost 100 entries on it.  I'm looking for ways to reduce this
number.

The problem is, I have two kinds of TODO items.  Some of them are things
I should do ASAP (but not on a particular date, so they are not
timestamped), and some of them are just ongoing projects, or
articles/blog posts I want to write some day (but not "some indefinite
day in the next 30 days", rather "some day within the next two months or
so").

Do any of you have a good way to differentiate between the two?
I already have

(setq org-agenda-todo-ignore-with-date 'all)
(setq org-agenda-todo-ignore-timestamp 'all)
(setq org-agenda-todo-list-sublevels nil)

in my init.el; maybe marking the parents of the entries I'd prefer to
filter out DONE is some idea?  (I don't like it, though.)  Maybe tags or
properties?

Any hints?

TIA,

--
Marcin Borkowski
Adam Mickiewicz University

* Re: All TODOs are equal, but some are more equal than others...
@ 2015-09-20 12:16 John Kitchin
From: John Kitchin @ 2015-09-20 12:16 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Marcin Borkowski, emacs-orgmode@gnu org

Could you just make a todo keyword called ASAP or use a tag to differentiate them? Then use a more specific tag search on the agenda?

@ 2015-09-20 12:24 ` Ken Mankoff
From: Ken Mankoff @ 2015-09-20 12:24 UTC (permalink / raw)

On 2015-09-20 at 07:54, Marcin Borkowski <mbork@mbork.pl> wrote:
> The problem is, I have two kinds of TODO items. Some of them are
> things I should do ASAP (but not on a particular date, so they are not
> timestamped), and some of them are just ongoing projects, or
> articles/blog posts I want to write some day (but not "some indefinite
> day in the next 30 days", rather "some day within the next two months
> or so").

I have TODO and SOMEDAY. If I don't have anything pressing TODO scheduled today, I can browse the SOMEDAY list and start in on something there.

I there is also a function to take a bunch of items and randomly assign them SCHEDULED dates spread over the next X days.

You could also use priorities for your ASAP items.

  -k.

* Re: All TODOs are equal, but some are more equal than others...
@ 2015-09-21  8:32 ` Eric S Fraga
From: Eric S Fraga @ 2015-09-21  8:32 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Sunday, 20 Sep 2015 at 13:54, Marcin Borkowski wrote:

[...]

> The problem is, I have two kinds of TODO items.  Some of them are things
> I should do ASAP (but not on a particular date, so they are not
> timestamped), and some of them are just ongoing projects, or
> articles/blog posts I want to write some day (but not "some indefinite
> day in the next 30 days", rather "some day within the next two months or
> so").
>
> Do any of you have a good way to differentiate between the two?
> I already have

Well, nothing in org forces you to put dates on TODO items...  and I
would argue that you shouldn't do so generally.  I schedule TODOs that I
can schedule.  All others (the "some day" ones), I leave undated.  I can
see the full list anytime by simply "C-c a t".

--
: Eric S Fraga (0xFFFCF67D), Emacs 25.0.50.2, Org release_8.3.1-234-g8c85c9