* [BUG] src code block header does not override buffer-wide header in property
@ 2016-06-29  5:23 Nick Dokos
From: Nick Dokos @ 2016-06-29  5:23 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

This was reported on SO:

http://stackoverflow.com/questions/37414837/org-mode-overwriting-globals-properties-in-block-headers

The ECM is as follows:

#+PROPERTY: header-args :results silent

#+BEGIN_SRC elisp
;; this one is silent
(setq foo "bar)
#+END_SRC

#+BEGIN_SRC elisp :results output
;; this one is being outputted
(princ "foo")
#+END_SRC

The second code block *should* output "foo" as its result, but it does
not: the :results silent header in the property seems to be in conrol.

Org version: Org-mode version 8.3.4 (release_8.3.4-1026-gf0ff25 @ /home/nick/elisp/org-mode/lisp/)

--
Nick

* Re: [BUG] src code block header does not override buffer-wide header in property
@ 2016-06-29 16:47 ` Charles C. Berry
From: Charles C. Berry @ 2016-06-29 16:47 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Nick Dokos; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

Not a bug. See below.

On Wed, 29 Jun 2016, Nick Dokos wrote:

> This was reported on SO:
>
> http://stackoverflow.com/questions/37414837/org-mode-overwriting-globals-properties-in-block-headers
>
> The ECM is as follows:

> #+PROPERTY: header-args :results silent
>
> #+BEGIN_SRC elisp
> ;; this one is silent
> (setq foo "bar)
> #+END_SRC
>
> #+BEGIN_SRC elisp :results output
> ;; this one is being outputted
> (princ "foo")
> #+END_SRC
>
> The second code block *should* output "foo" as its result, but it does
> not: the :results silent header in the property seems to be in conrol.

Maybe you meant

#+BEGIN_SRC elisp :results output replace :exports both
;; this one is being outputted
(princ "foo")
#+END_SRC

i.e. export code and results and replace the existing result or insert a
new result.

See (info "(org) results") and scroll down to the 'Handling' paragraph.

Chuck

* Re: [BUG] src code block header does not override buffer-wide header in property
@ 2016-06-29 18:04   ` Nick Dokos
From: Nick Dokos @ 2016-06-29 18:04 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

"Charles C. Berry" <ccberry@ucsd.edu> writes:

> Not a bug. See below.
>
> On Wed, 29 Jun 2016, Nick Dokos wrote:
>
>> This was reported on SO:
>>
>> http://stackoverflow.com/questions/37414837/org-mode-overwriting-globals-properties-in-block-headers
>>
>> The ECM is as follows:

>> #+PROPERTY: header-args :results silent
>>
>> #+BEGIN_SRC elisp
>> ;; this one is silent
>> (setq foo "bar)
>> #+END_SRC
>>
>> #+BEGIN_SRC elisp :results output
>> ;; this one is being outputted
>> (princ "foo")
>> #+END_SRC
>>
>> The second code block *should* output "foo" as its result, but it does
>> not: the :results silent header in the property seems to be in conrol.
>
> Maybe you meant
>
> #+BEGIN_SRC elisp :results output replace :exports both
> ;; this one is being outputted
> (princ "foo")
> #+END_SRC

OK - I can never remember the meaning of all the results permutations
but replace does reverse the result of silent (I don't care about export
in this case).

> i.e. export code and results and replace the existing result or insert a
> new result.
>
> See (info "(org) results") and scroll down to the 'Handling' paragraph.

Thanks for the reference - I obviously need to re-read this a few times.

--
Nick