* Documentation suggestion: Mention async-bytecomp-package-mode in the installation section of the manual
@ 2020-10-27  2:32 Gustavo Barros
From: Gustavo Barros @ 2020-10-27  2:32 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

Hi All,

I've seen time and again folks get bitten by trying to install Org with
`package.el' while having Org loaded.  The latest, but certainly not the
first and not the last:
https://www.reddit.com/r/orgmode/comments/jicj1k/how_to_use_org_version_from_orgpluscontrib/

This is well known, and indeed the manual states "important" in bold to
say that "You need to do this in a session where no ‘.org’ file has been
visited, i.e., where no Org built-in function have been loaded."

But it is not always easy to ensure that, even when you know what you
are doing.  And certainly not trivial to users less acquainted with the
package system and how library loading works, etc.

However, there is a very easy way to ensure that
installation/byte-compilation is done in a clean environment in package
`async', namely `async-bytecomp-package-mode'.  From my experience, I
have a simple:

    (use-package async-bytecomp
      :ensure async
      :defer t
      :custom
      (async-bytecomp-allowed-packages 'all)
      (async-bytecomp-package-mode t))

in my init file.  My `initial-major-mode' is `org-mode' and I've never
had an installation problem, even though I update `org-plus-contrib'
carelessly at will on a live session.

`async' is by John Wiegley, and available both at ELPA and MELPA.

Wouldn't it be worth mentioning it in the manual and/or in the
site/Worg?

Best regards,
Gustavo.

only message in thread, other threads:[~2020-10-27  2:33 UTC | newest]