* [bug] File mode specification error: (void-function file-attribute-inode-number)
@ 2021-12-20  3:06 Samuel Wales
From: Samuel Wales @ 2021-12-20  3:06 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

emacs 25.1 does not have this function.  this error occurs upon
find-file on an org file in org 9.5.

File mode specification error: (void-function file-attribute-inode-number)

--
The Kafka Pandemic

https://thekafkapandemic.blogspot.com

* Re: [bug] File mode specification error: (void-function file-attribute-inode-number)
@ 2021-12-20 15:07 ` Ihor Radchenko
From: Ihor Radchenko @ 2021-12-20 15:07 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Samuel Wales; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

> emacs 25.1 does not have this function.  this error occurs upon
> find-file on an org file in org 9.5.
>
> File mode specification error: (void-function file-attribute-inode-number)

Thanks for reporting!

I just pushed the fix upstream.

However, note that Emacs 25 is barely supported. Our current policy is
supporting latest Emacs - 2 versions [1]. Emacs 28 is going to be
released in a few months, bundling Org 9.5. If you can, please update
your Emacs to at least version 26.

[1] https://orgmode.org/worg/org-maintenance.html#emacs-compatibility

Best,
Ihor

* Re: [bug] File mode specification error: (void-function file-attribute-inode-number)
@ 2021-12-24  1:03   ` Samuel Wales
From: Samuel Wales @ 2021-12-24  1:03 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Ihor Radchenko; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

more below.

On 12/20/21, Ihor Radchenko <yantar92@gmail.com> wrote:
> Thanks for reporting!
>
> I just pushed the fix upstream.

thank you.

fyi, i am still trying to get main to work.  there is bug in most
recent main where org element use cache being set to t makes loading
infinite.  and another where c-x c-c is very slow but there aren't
messages saying what it is doing.

the cache bug reproduced a few times reliably and i finally figured
out getting it to debug on quit to give you a bt but then it didn't
reproduce, so idk if it is intermittent or my brain is not working.
also, if i quit at the wrong time, cache tells me to hit quit more
times because it captures that signal.  as i am limited in computer
use upgrading org is going to take some time.  however, the only
reason i want to try main is to run the fast batch archiving.  maybe
bugfix would work for ordinary use.  have not tried it yet.

> supporting latest Emacs - 2 versions [1]. Emacs 28 is going to be
> released in a few months, bundling Org 9.5. If you can, please update
> your Emacs to at least version 26.

[thanks.  i dread this.  i have been dreading having to upgrade debian
and idk when i will be able to but have to do it.  and getting a
signed emacs and installing it might be more trouble than it seems at
first as every sw [even org] seems to be.]  still trying.

* Re: [bug] File mode specification error: (void-function file-attribute-inode-number)
@ 2021-12-24 14:29     ` Ihor Radchenko
From: Ihor Radchenko @ 2021-12-24 14:29 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Samuel Wales; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

> fyi, i am still trying to get main to work.  there is bug in most
> recent main where org element use cache being set to t makes loading
> infinite.  and another where c-x c-c is very slow but there aren't
> messages saying what it is doing.

I replied in the bug report.

> ....  however, the only
> reason i want to try main is to run the fast batch archiving.  maybe
> bugfix would work for ordinary use.  have not tried it yet.

bugfix does not have the faster archiving. The performance was improved
by fairly complex changes in the old caching code. They are not meant
for bufix.

Also, to test fast batch archiving, you can disable cache persistence
(see org-element-cache-persistent).

>> supporting latest Emacs - 2 versions [1]. Emacs 28 is going to be
>> released in a few months, bundling Org 9.5. If you can, please update
>> your Emacs to at least version 26.
>
> [thanks.  i dread this.  i have been dreading having to upgrade debian
> and idk when i will be able to but have to do it.  and getting a
> signed emacs and installing it might be more trouble than it seems at
> first as every sw [even org] seems to be.]  still trying.

Hmm. What about just building Emacs from source? Newer Emacs can usually
be compiled without a need to install super-new toolchain. You may not
need to update the whole Debian (which can indeed be a nightmare) just
to get newer Emacs.

Best,
Ihor

* Re: [bug] File mode specification error: (void-function file-attribute-inode-number)
@ 2021-12-24 14:32     ` Ihor Radchenko
From: Ihor Radchenko @ 2021-12-24 14:32 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Samuel Wales; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

> ...  and another where c-x c-c is very slow but there aren't
> messages saying what it is doing.

This is most likely also related to org-persist. It tries to save the
cached parser state on Emacs exit and load it back on startup.

> ... if i quit at the wrong time, cache tells me to hit quit more
> times because it captures that signal

This is somewhat unexpected. Do you also observe Emacs in the middle of
Emacs session? If you do, it may indicate a bug.

Best,
Ihor

* Re: [bug] File mode specification error: (void-function file-attribute-inode-number)
@ 2021-12-24 15:05       ` Max Nikulin
From: Max Nikulin @ 2021-12-24 15:05 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

On 24/12/2021 21:29, Ihor Radchenko wrote:

> Hmm. What about just building Emacs from source? Newer Emacs can usually
> be compiled without a need to install super-new toolchain. You may not
> need to update the whole Debian (which can indeed be a nightmare) just
> to get newer Emacs.

Current Debian stable bullseye has Emacs-27.1, for oldstable the same
version is available from buster-backports repository (I have not tried
it though) https://packages.debian.org/search?keywords=emacs

Debian supports upgrades between stable releases for more than 20 years.
Problems may originate from third-party repositories or e.g. when binary
format of some tool changes (e.g. PostGIS plugin for PostgreSQL).
Certainly support of some legacy hardware may be dropped in new release.
Manual actions during upgrade may be required but I would not call it
nightmare.