From: Ihor Radchenko <yantar92@posteo.net>
To: Adam Porter <adam@alphapapa.net>
Cc: emacs-orgmode@gnu.org, Bastien <bzg@gnu.org>
Subject: Re: [WORG] 2680e65 * org-maintenance.org (Copyright assignments): Minor improvements
Date: Sat, 30 Mar 2024 11:08:46 +0000	[thread overview]

Adam Porter <adam@alphapapa.net> writes:

>> I think that we are not very accurate here.
>> According to
>> https://www.gnu.org/prep/maintain/maintain.html#Copyright-Papers:
>>
>>     Once the conversation is under way and the contributor is ready for more
>>     details, you should send one of the templates that are found in the
>>     directory /gd/gnuorg/Copyright/; they are also available from the
>>     doc/Copyright/ directory of the gnulib project at
>>     https://savannah.gnu.org/projects/gnulib. This section explains which
>>     templates you should use in which circumstances. Please don’t use any of
>>     the templates except for those listed here, and please don’t change the
>>     wording.
>>
>> We must use a specific form from a specific URL.
>
> That isn't how the Emacs maintainers handle it.  They send a form by
> email when asked, or direct users to use the one in the Emacs git repo.
> AFAICT, they are equivalent, if not identical.
>
> Regardless, it would be nice to have a canonical answer to this.  The
> gnu.org site says one thing, the emacs.git repo says another,
> org-mode.git says another, the people on the mailing say another, and
> Worg says another--all slightly different for no apparent reason.
> (There's also the Emacs manual, which probably mentions it too.)

This is actually not true that Emacs repository has a separate copyright
assignment form.

CONTRIBUTE file says

    In most cases, to start the assignment process you should download
    https://git.savannah.gnu.org/cgit/gnulib.git/plain/doc/Copyright/request-assign.future
    and return the completed information to the address at the top.

This is linking to one of the forms at gnulib, the same with what
gnu.org suggests.

In contrast, we, in WORG, link to a _copy_ of the form rather than to
the original form.

I've just pushed some clarifications to org-maintenance page, adding the
correct link, but still leaving our current form - our form has one
answer pre-filled.
https://git.sr.ht/~bzg/worg/commit/e5deaca5

> TODO: Get updated version of form from Emacs maintainers that includes
> the line asking the secretary to send confirmation to interested
> parties (i.e. the Org maintainers).

I am inclined to remove this todo - I already asked gnulib guys and they
contacted FSF about the latest version of the form. Until we get a
reply, there is nothing we can act upon. See
https://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/bug-gnulib/2024-03/msg00060.html

--
Ihor Radchenko // yantar92,
Org mode contributor,