* org-mode is turning off soft word wrapping.
@ 2009-04-22 18:01 Good Bad
From: Good Bad @ 2009-04-22 18:01 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

When I visit a text file, a C file or a TeX file, it is in soft word wrapping
mode, i.e. long lines get wrapped, but without really inserting newlines.

But when I visit an org file, it is not in word wrapping mode, i.e. longs lines
never gets wrapped, you can't see the whole line if the line is too long.

1. How do I turn on soft word wrapping in org-mode?

2. If org-mode automatically turning off word wrapping is a feature, what is the
reason non-wrapping mode should be prefered in org-mode? I can see why in ediff
mode tho.

I don't know what word wrapping mode and non-word wrapping mode are called in
emacs speak.

* Re: org-mode is turning off soft word wrapping.
@ 2009-04-22 18:32 ` Bernt Hansen
From: Bernt Hansen @ 2009-04-22 18:32 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Good Bad; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

Good Bad <nbko3@yahoo.com> writes:

> When I visit a text file, a C file or a TeX file, it is in soft word wrapping
> mode, i.e. long lines get wrapped, but without really inserting newlines.
>
> But when I visit an org file, it is not in word wrapping mode, i.e. longs lines
> never gets wrapped, you can't see the whole line if the line is too long.
>
> 1. How do I turn on soft word wrapping in org-mode?

I have a function key mapped to this.  There is a function
(set-truncate-lines) that toggles wrapping on and off.

,----[ from my .emacs ]
| (global-set-key (kbd "<f7>") 'set-truncate-lines)
`----

I personally like the not-wrapped default but if I need to read a long
line I just hit F7, read it, and then unwrap it with F7 again.

> 2. If org-mode automatically turning off word wrapping is a feature, what is the
> reason non-wrapping mode should be prefered in org-mode? I can see why in ediff
> mode tho.
>
> I don't know what word wrapping mode and non-word wrapping mode are called in
> emacs speak.

Having lines not wrap when viewing wide org-mode tables is a good thing.

HTH,
-Bernt

* Re: org-mode is turning off soft word wrapping.
@ 2009-04-23 13:18 Good Bad
From: Good Bad @ 2009-04-23 13:18 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: bernt; +Cc: Emacs Org-mode

Bernt Hansen <bernt <at> norang.ca> writes:
> Good Bad <nbko3 <at> yahoo.com> writes:
> > When I visit a text file, a C file or a TeX file, it is in soft word wrapping
> > mode, i.e. long lines get wrapped, but without really inserting newlines.
> >
> > But when I visit an org file, it is not in word wrapping mode, i.e. longs lines
> > never gets wrapped, you can't see the whole line if the line is too long.
> >
> > 1. How do I turn on soft word wrapping in org-mode?
>
> I have a function key mapped to this.  There is a function
> (set-truncate-lines) that toggles wrapping on and off.
>
> ,----[ from my .emacs ]
> | (global-set-key (kbd "<f7>") 'set-truncate-lines)
> `----
> [...]

I think it is toggle-truncate-lines.
set-truncate-lines is not defined in my Emacs23.

;; keybinding for toggling soft word wrapping mode
(global-set-key (kbd "<f7>") 'toggle-truncate-lines)

;; turn on soft wrapping mode for org mode
(add-hook 'org-mode-hook
(lambda () (setq truncate-lines nil)))

http://www.emacswiki.org/emacs/TruncateLines

* Re: org-mode is turning off soft word wrapping.
@ 2009-04-23 13:22 ` Bernt Hansen
From: Bernt Hansen @ 2009-04-23 13:22 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Good Bad; +Cc: Emacs Org-mode

Good Bad <nbko3@yahoo.com> writes:

> I think it is toggle-truncate-lines.
> set-truncate-lines is not defined in my Emacs23.

That's possible.  I use GNU Emacs 22.2.1 (i486-pc-linux-gnu, X toolkit,
Xaw3d scroll bars) of 2008-11-09 on raven, modified by Debian

-Bernt

* Re: org-mode is turning off soft word wrapping.
@ 2009-04-24  9:54 ` Mathias Schenner
From: Mathias Schenner @ 2009-04-24  9:54 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

> Bernt Hansen <bernt <at> norang.ca> writes:
> > Good Bad <nbko3 <at> yahoo.com> writes:
> > >
> > > 1. How do I turn on soft word wrapping in org-mode?
>

> ;; keybinding for toggling soft word wrapping mode
> (global-set-key (kbd "<f7>") 'toggle-truncate-lines)
>
> ;; turn on soft wrapping mode for org mode
> (add-hook 'org-mode-hook
> (lambda () (setq truncate-lines nil)))
>
> http://www.emacswiki.org/emacs/TruncateLines

Actually, it's even easier. Just add:

(setq org-startup-truncated nil)

> > > 2. If org-mode automatically turning off word wrapping
> > > is a feature, what is the reason non-wrapping mode should
> > > be prefered in org-mode?

Here is what org.el says:

"... entering Org-mode will set `truncate-lines'.
This is useful since some lines containing links can be very long and
uninteresting.  Also tables look terrible when wrapped."