* mailto links
@ 2010-02-23 23:07 Ross A. Laird
From: Ross A. Laird @ 2010-02-23 23:07 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

I am having a small challenge with the way in which emacs is handling
mailto links in org files. For some mysterious reason, C-c C-o on a link
opens Kmail. I am in gnome and have specified thunderbird as the default
mail client. Actually what I want is for the links to open in Gnus, but
despite a lengthy web search I cannot find any way to fix this issue.
Suggestions are welcome.

Ross

--
Ross A. Laird, PhD
www.rosslaird.com

* Re: mailto links
@ 2010-02-23 23:25 David A. Gershman
From: David A. Gershman @ 2010-02-23 23:25 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

If you invoke the command 'org-customize', you can find a group called
'Org Link'.  Expand it to find 'Org Follow Link', then 'Org Link Mailto
Program'.  Perhaps this will help?

> I am having a small challenge with the way in which emacs is handling
> mailto links in org files. For some mysterious reason, C-c C-o on a link
> opens Kmail. I am in gnome and have specified thunderbird as the default
> mail client. Actually what I want is for the links to open in Gnus, but
> despite a lengthy web search I cannot find any way to fix this issue.
> Suggestions are welcome.
>
> Ross
>
> --
> Ross A. Laird, PhD
> www.rosslaird.com

David A. Gershman
gershman@dagertech.net
http://dagertech.net/gershman/
"It's all about the path!" --d. gershman

* Re: mailto links
@ 2010-02-24  4:59 ` Ross A. Laird
From: Ross A. Laird @ 2010-02-24  4:59 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

Hm. I did not find anything particularly specific to kmail:

"mailto:%a?subject=%s"

> If you invoke the command 'org-customize', you can find a group called
> 'Org Link'.  Expand it to find 'Org Follow Link', then 'Org Link Mailto
> Program'.  Perhaps this will help?
>

>> I am having a small challenge with the way in which emacs is handling
>> mailto links in org files. For some mysterious reason, C-c C-o on a link
>> opens Kmail. I am in gnome and have specified thunderbird as the default
>> mail client. Actually what I want is for the links to open in Gnus, but
>> despite a lengthy web search I cannot find any way to fix this issue.
>> Suggestions are welcome.
>>
>> Ross
>>
>> --
>> Ross A. Laird, PhD
>> www.rosslaird.com

Ross A. Laird, PhD
www.rosslaird.com

* Re: mailto links
@ 2010-02-25  2:10     ` Ross A. Laird
From: Ross A. Laird @ 2010-02-25  2:10 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

> On Feb 24, 2010, at 5:59 AM, Ross A. Laird wrote:
>

>> Hm. I did not find anything particularly specific to kmail:
>>
>> "mailto:%a?subject=%s"
>
> Hi Ross,
>
> the default setting for `org-link-mailto-program' is currently
>
>     (browse-url "mailto:%a?subject=%s")
>
> which means that Org will leave it to the browse-url package to
> decide how to send a message.
>
> Browse-url uses the variable, `mail-user-agent'
> Try customizing this variable.  I think you want to set
> it to `gnus-user-agent'.
>
> HTH
>
> - Carsten

Hi Carsten;

Thanks for the help. I've poked around inside the "browse-url" group
(it's been a long time since I've seen "mosaic" and "netscape" listed as
options), but I cannot find "mail-user-agent." So -- and remembering
that, like an increasing number of org users, I am not a programmer -- is
this a variable that I could specify in .emacs, for example? I do know how to
modify that file and already have various "setq..." type of entries.
But, just to prove that I am not a programmer, here's what I would try:

(setq 'mail-user-agent' 'gnus-user-agent')

Which, of course, causes emacs to choke (or, at least to grumble.)

Ross

--
Ross A. Laird, PhD
www.rosslaird.com

* Re: mailto links
@ 2010-02-25  3:36       ` Richard Riley
From: Richard Riley @ 2010-02-25  3:36 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

ross@rosslaird.info (Ross A. Laird) writes:

> (setq 'mail-user-agent' 'gnus-user-agent')
>
> Which, of course, causes emacs to choke (or, at least to grumble.)
>
> Ross

Hi Ross : its a gnus setting not a browse setting.

Inside emacs put your cursor over the variable name
"mail-user-agent". Press C-h v (control key and "h" at the same time,
release and then press "v"). Select "customize" option. There you can
select "Gnus Message with full Gnus features". Save for future
sessions. You could also "C-h v" and then type the name of the
variable. Remove your code above.

* Re: mailto links
@ 2010-02-25  4:41         ` Ross A. Laird
From: Ross A. Laird @ 2010-02-25  4:41 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

Richard Riley <rileyrgdev@gmail.com> writes:

> ross@rosslaird.info (Ross A. Laird) writes:
>

>> (setq 'mail-user-agent' 'gnus-user-agent')
>>
>> Which, of course, causes emacs to choke (or, at least to grumble.)
>>
>> Ross
>
> Hi Ross : its a gnus setting not a browse setting.
>
> Inside emacs put your cursor over the variable name
> "mail-user-agent". Press C-h v (control key and "h" at the same time,
> release and then press "v"). Select "customize" option. There you can
> select "Gnus Message with full Gnus features". Save for future
> sessions. You could also "C-h v" and then type the name of the
> variable. Remove your code above.

Hi Richard;

Thanks for the help. This is a good example, I think, of how cryptic
Emacs can be. I followed your first set of instructions exactly, but
still had difficulty. When I put my "cursor over the variable name" and
then hit C-h v, I did not get an option, I got this:

Describe variable (default mail-user-agent) (mail-user-agent)

Which, I think, just tells me what the variable is called. Probably this
was due to the fact that I was just hovering over it in your post, as I
was not able (as I said in my first post) to find this variable in
customize. However, your tip got me thinking about a more general
search, outside of org-customize. So, I just entered "customize" (which
I have done before) and drilled my way down to where I found the
variable. There I was able to set the option as you describe above.

Emacs is a strange beast. Strong, old, canny. But very strange.
Thanks for the help.

Cheers.

Ross

--
Ross A. Laird, PhD
www.rosslaird.com

* Re: mailto links
@ 2010-02-25  4:44           ` Ross A. Laird
From: Ross A. Laird @ 2010-02-25  4:44 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

ross@rosslaird.info (Ross A. Laird) writes:

> Richard Riley <rileyrgdev@gmail.com> writes:
>
>> ross@rosslaird.info (Ross A. Laird) writes:
>>

>>> (setq 'mail-user-agent' 'gnus-user-agent')
>>>
>>> Which, of course, causes emacs to choke (or, at least to grumble.)
>>>
>>> Ross
>>
>> Hi Ross : its a gnus setting not a browse setting.
>>
>> Inside emacs put your cursor over the variable name
>> "mail-user-agent". Press C-h v (control key and "h" at the same time,
>> release and then press "v"). Select "customize" option. There you can
>> select "Gnus Message with full Gnus features". Save for future
>> sessions. You could also "C-h v" and then type the name of the
>> variable. Remove your code above.
>>

> Hi Richard;
>
> Thanks for the help. This is a good example, I think, of how cryptic
> Emacs can be. I followed your first set of instructions exactly, but
> still had difficulty. When I put my "cursor over the variable name" and
> then hit C-h v, I did not get an option, I got this:
>
> Describe variable (default mail-user-agent) (mail-user-agent)
>
> Which, I think, just tells me what the variable is called. Probably this
> was due to the fact that I was just hovering over it in your post, as I
> was not able (as I said in my first post) to find this variable in
> customize. However, your tip got me thinking about a more general
> search, outside of org-customize. So, I just entered "customize" (which
> I have done before) and drilled my way down to where I found the
> variable. There I was able to set the option as you describe above.
>
> Emacs is a strange beast. Strong, old, canny. But very strange.
> Thanks for the help.
>
> Cheers.
>
> Ross

And ha, after all that I still get Kmail...

R.

--
Ross A. Laird, PhD
www.rosslaird.com

* Re: mailto links
@ 2010-02-25  4:50           ` Richard Riley
From: Richard Riley @ 2010-02-25  4:50 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

ross@rosslaird.info (Ross A. Laird) writes:

> Richard Riley <rileyrgdev@gmail.com> writes:
>
>> ross@rosslaird.info (Ross A. Laird) writes:
>>

>>> (setq 'mail-user-agent' 'gnus-user-agent')
>>>
>>> Which, of course, causes emacs to choke (or, at least to grumble.)
>>>
>>> Ross
>>
>> Hi Ross : its a gnus setting not a browse setting.
>>
>> Inside emacs put your cursor over the variable name
>> "mail-user-agent". Press C-h v (control key and "h" at the same time,
>> release and then press "v"). Select "customize" option. There you can
>> select "Gnus Message with full Gnus features". Save for future
>> sessions. You could also "C-h v" and then type the name of the
>> variable. Remove your code above.
>>

> Hi Richard;
>
> Thanks for the help. This is a good example, I think, of how cryptic
> Emacs can be. I followed your first set of instructions exactly, but
> still had difficulty. When I put my "cursor over the variable name" and
> then hit C-h v, I did not get an option, I got this:
>
> Describe variable (default mail-user-agent) (mail-user-agent)

Did you press return? It was just prompting your for the variable
name. You need to confirm with return .. ;)