* [Babel] Preserving tabs in code blocks
@ 2011-08-26  1:13 Bernt Hansen
From: Bernt Hansen @ 2011-08-26  1:13 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

Hi all,

I want to include the contents of a file which requires TABS between
fields in a #+begin_src ... #+end_src block.

When I use C-c ' to edit the block the TABS are all converted back to
spaces.  I want to be able to tangle the file and preserve the TABS
which are required as input to some tool chain.

Is there some mode I can use to preserve the TABS?

For example:

#+begin_src fundamental :tangle testtabs.txt
These	words
are	separated
by	tabs.
#+end_src

I need to be able to create the testtabs.txt file with the TAB
characters intact otherwise it fails as input to the tool chain (which I
have no control over).

Is there any way to do this?

For now I'm keeping the input in a separate file, but I would much
prefer to have it in a babel source block in my notes for future
reference.

Thanks,
Bernt

* Re: [Babel] Preserving tabs in code blocks
@ 2011-08-26  4:11 ` Nick Dokos
From: Nick Dokos @ 2011-08-26  4:11 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Bernt Hansen; +Cc: nicholas.dokos, emacs-orgmode

Bernt Hansen <bernt@norang.ca> wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> I want to include the contents of a file which requires TABS between
> fields in a #+begin_src ... #+end_src block.
>
> When I use C-c ' to edit the block the TABS are all converted back to
> spaces.  I want to be able to tangle the file and preserve the TABS
> which are required as input to some tool chain.
>
> Is there some mode I can use to preserve the TABS?
>
> For example:
>
> #+begin_src fundamental :tangle testtabs.txt
> These	words
> are	separated
> by	tabs.
> #+end_src
>
> I need to be able to create the testtabs.txt file with the TAB
> characters intact otherwise it fails as input to the tool chain (which I
> have no control over).
>
> Is there any way to do this?
>
> For now I'm keeping the input in a separate file, but I would much
> prefer to have it in a babel source block in my notes for future
> reference.

Try setting org-src-preserve-indentation to t. If you change the default
value of indent-tabs-mode to nil (as I do), then you might have problems
in any case: inserted tabs will be changed to spaces. But if you have it
left at the default t, then I think this works.

Nick

* Re: [Babel] Preserving tabs in code blocks
@ 2011-08-26 10:14   ` Bernt Hansen
From: Bernt Hansen @ 2011-08-26 10:14 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: nicholas.dokos; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

Nick Dokos <nicholas.dokos@hp.com> writes:

> Bernt Hansen <bernt@norang.ca> wrote:
>
>> I want to include the contents of a file which requires TABS between
>> fields in a #+begin_src ... #+end_src block.
>>
>> When I use C-c ' to edit the block the TABS are all converted back to
>> spaces.  I want to be able to tangle the file and preserve the TABS
>> which are required as input to some tool chain.
>>
>> Is there some mode I can use to preserve the TABS?

> Try setting org-src-preserve-indentation to t. If you change the default
> value of indent-tabs-mode to nil (as I do), then you might have problems
> in any case: inserted tabs will be changed to spaces. But if you have it
> left at the default t, then I think this works.

Thanks Nick!

That works great :)

Regards,
Bernt