* [babel] Editing 'quote' source blocks in artist mode
@ 2012-02-23  0:26 Thorsten
From: Thorsten @ 2012-02-23  0:26 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

Hi list,
when I want to edit text inside a 'quote' source block, I find myself in
picture/artist mode with wild key rebindings, e.g.:

,---------------------------------------------------------------------------
| RET (translated from <return>) runs the command artist-key-set-point,
| which is an interactive compiled Lisp function in `artist.el'.
|
| It is bound to RET.
|
| (artist-key-set-point &optional ARG)
|
| Set a point for the current shape.  With optional ARG, set the last point.
`---------------------------------------------------------------------------

I don't think thats the intended behaviour? Shouldn't the edit buffer
rather be in fundamental mode or something like this?
To reproduce this:

,-----------------------------
| <q tab
| then inside the source block
| C-c '
`-----------------------------

My system data:
"GNU Emacs 24.0.93.1 (x86_64-unknown-linux-gnu, GTK+ Version 2.24.10)
 of 2012-02-07 on arch
Org-mode version 7.8.03
Ma Gnus v0.2"

--
cheers,
Thorsten

* Re: [babel] Editing 'quote' source blocks in artist mode
@ 2012-02-23  0:50 ` Nick Dokos
From: Nick Dokos @ 2012-02-23  0:50 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Thorsten; +Cc: nicholas.dokos, emacs-orgmode

Thorsten <quintfall@googlemail.com> wrote:

> Hi list,
> when I want to edit text inside a 'quote' source block, I find myself in
> picture/artist mode with wild key rebindings, e.g.:
>
> ,---------------------------------------------------------------------------
> | RET (translated from <return>) runs the command artist-key-set-point,
> | which is an interactive compiled Lisp function in `artist.el'.
> |
> | It is bound to RET.
> |
> | (artist-key-set-point &optional ARG)
> |
> | Set a point for the current shape.  With optional ARG, set the last point.
> `---------------------------------------------------------------------------
>
> I don't think thats the intended behaviour? Shouldn't the edit buffer
> rather be in fundamental mode or something like this?
> To reproduce this:
>
> ,-----------------------------
> | <q tab
> | then inside the source block
> | C-c '
> `-----------------------------
>
> My system data:
> "GNU Emacs 24.0.93.1 (x86_64-unknown-linux-gnu, GTK+ Version 2.24.10)
>  of 2012-02-07 on arch
> Org-mode version 7.8.03
> Ma Gnus v0.2"

I can't reproduce it.

Is C-c ' (still) bound to org-edit-special?

C-h f org-edit-special RET says

,----
| org-edit-special is an interactive Lisp function in `org.el'.
|
| (org-edit-special &optional ARG)
|
| Call a special editor for the stuff at point.
| When at a table, call the formula editor with `org-table-edit-formulas'.
| When at the first line of an src example, call `org-edit-src-code'.
| When in an #+include line, visit the include file.  Otherwise call
| `ffap' to visit the file at point.
`----

and I get the ffap behavior in a quote block (not that that's particularly
attractive either).

Did you try it emacs -q? Maybe it's a customization of yours.

Nick

* Re: [babel] Editing 'quote' source blocks in artist mode
@ 2012-02-23  9:39   ` Thorsten
From: Thorsten @ 2012-02-23  9:39 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

Nick Dokos <nicholas.dokos@hp.com> writes:

> Thorsten <quintfall@googlemail.com> wrote:
>

>> Hi list,
>> when I want to edit text inside a 'quote' source block, I find myself in
>> picture/artist mode with wild key rebindings, e.g.:
>>
>> ,---------------------------------------------------------------------------
>> | RET (translated from <return>) runs the command artist-key-set-point,
>> | which is an interactive compiled Lisp function in `artist.el'.
>> |
>> | It is bound to RET.
>> |
>> | (artist-key-set-point &optional ARG)
>> |
>> | Set a point for the current shape.  With optional ARG, set the last point.
>> `---------------------------------------------------------------------------
>>
>> I don't think thats the intended behaviour? Shouldn't the edit buffer
>> rather be in fundamental mode or something like this?
>> To reproduce this:
>>
>> ,-----------------------------
>> | <q tab
>> | then inside the source block
>> | C-c '
>> `-----------------------------
>>
>> My system data:
>> "GNU Emacs 24.0.93.1 (x86_64-unknown-linux-gnu, GTK+ Version 2.24.10)
>>  of 2012-02-07 on arch
>> Org-mode version 7.8.03
>> Ma Gnus v0.2"
>>

> I can't reproduce it.
>
> Is C-c ' (still) bound to org-edit-special?

Yes, it is.

> C-h f org-edit-special RET says
>
> ,----
> | org-edit-special is an interactive Lisp function in `org.el'.
> |
> | (org-edit-special &optional ARG)
> |
> | Call a special editor for the stuff at point.
> | When at a table, call the formula editor with `org-table-edit-formulas'.
> | When at the first line of an src example, call `org-edit-src-code'.
> | When in an #+include line, visit the include file.  Otherwise call
> | `ffap' to visit the file at point.
> `----
>
> and I get the ffap behavior in a quote block (not that that's particularly
> attractive either).
>
> Did you try it emacs -q? Maybe it's a customization of yours.

I tried that too, and again the edit buffer was in artist mode.
I use the emacs24-starter-kit now, so not all customisations are mine.
But I can't see anything that sets edit buffers in artist mode.

Might that be related with openwith mode? I have that activated
globally. But it shouldn't happen with emcas -q then.

--

@ 2012-02-23 15:57     ` Gustav Wikström
From: Gustav Wikström @ 2012-02-23 15:57 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Thorsten; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

Hi!

Just tried this and I can confirm both your bugs.

calling org-edit-special on the following line gives artist-mode (or
whatever it is called..):

: some text

calling org-edit-special inside the block gives ffap:

#+begin_quote
  some text
#+end_quote

/Gustav

@ 2012-02-23 16:06       ` Nick Dokos
From: Nick Dokos @ 2012-02-23 16:06 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: =?ISO-8859-1?Q?Gustav_Wikstr=F6m?=
  Cc: nicholas.dokos, emacs-orgmode, Thorsten

Gustav Wikström <gustav.erik@gmail.com> wrote:

> Hi!
>
> Just tried this and I can confirm both your bugs.
>
> calling org-edit-special on the following line gives artist-mode (or whatever it is called..):
>
> : some text

That's a feature, not a bug:

,----
| org-edit-fixed-width-region is an interactive Lisp function in
| `org-src.el'.
|
| (org-edit-fixed-width-region)
|
| Edit the fixed-width ascii drawing at point.
| This must be a region where each line starts with a colon followed by
| a space character.
| An new buffer is created and the fixed-width region is copied into it,
| and the buffer is switched into `artist-mode' for editing.  When done,
| exit with C-c '.  The edited text will then replace
| the fragment in the Org-mode buffer.
`----

Nick

@ 2012-02-23 16:24         ` Thorsten
From: Thorsten @ 2012-02-23 16:24 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

Nick Dokos <nicholas.dokos@hp.com> writes:

> Gustav Wikström <gustav.erik@gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> Hi!
>>
>> Just tried this and I can confirm both your bugs.
>>
>> calling org-edit-special on the following line gives artist-mode (or whatever it is called..):
>>
>> : some text
>>

> That's a feature, not a bug:

A quote might be a fixed-width-region inside an org document, but who
wants to edit a textual quote in picture/artitst mode?

Quotes are almost always text imho.

@ 2012-02-23 16:37           ` Nick Dokos
From: Nick Dokos @ 2012-02-23 16:37 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Thorsten; +Cc: nicholas.dokos, emacs-orgmode

Thorsten <quintfall@googlemail.com> wrote:

> Nick Dokos <nicholas.dokos@hp.com> writes:
>
> > Gustav Wikström <gustav.erik@gmail.com> wrote:
> >
> >> Hi!
> >>
> >> Just tried this and I can confirm both your bugs.
> >>
> >> calling org-edit-special on the following line gives artist-mode (or whatever it is called..):
> >>
> >> : some text
> >>

> > That's a feature, not a bug:
>

> A quote might be a fixed-width-region inside an org document, but who
> wants to edit a textual quote in picture/artitst mode?

Nobody - I was just pointing out that we (at least, Gustav and I do) get
this behavior and that's consistent with the code.  OTOH, we *don't* all
get the same behavior with #+begin/end_quote and the behavior you get is
inconsistent with the code: you get picture mode, Gustav and I get
(confusing) questions about opening a file with ffap.

> Quotes are almost always text imho.

Not sure what the "best" solution is: sometimes they are ascii art and
having picture mode on is helpful, sometimes they are text and some kind
of text mode would be more appropriate. But they could really be anything
so *any* choice is bound to disappoint at some point/time and I'm not sure
org can be prescient enough TDRT all the time.

Nick

* Re: [babel] Editing 'quote' source blocks in artist mode
@ 2012-02-23 16:50             ` Thorsten
From: Thorsten @ 2012-02-23 16:50 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

Nick Dokos <nicholas.dokos@hp.com> writes:

> Thorsten <quintfall@googlemail.com> wrote:
>
>> Nick Dokos <nicholas.dokos@hp.com> writes:

>> > That's a feature, not a bug:
>>

>> A quote might be a fixed-width-region inside an org document, but who
>> wants to edit a textual quote in picture/artitst mode?
>>

> Nobody - I was just pointing out that we (at least, Gustav and I do) get
> this behavior and that's consistent with the code.  OTOH, we *don't* all
> get the same behavior with #+begin/end_quote and the behavior you get is
> inconsistent with the code: you get picture mode, Gustav and I get
> (confusing) questions about opening a file with ffap.
>
>> Quotes are almost always text imho.
>>

> Not sure what the "best" solution is: sometimes they are ascii art and
> having picture mode on is helpful, sometimes they are text and some kind
> of text mode would be more appropriate. But they could really be anything
> so *any* choice is bound to disappoint at some point/time and I'm not sure
> org can be prescient enough TDRT all the time.

I seem to remember that before my shift to emacs24 I just used
quote-blocks and they were in text mode and I thought that was allright
as default behaviour. Actually, I did not even notice what mode I was
in, because it felt so natural to edit the quote as text.

I'm not really into this, its a bit strange, and might be just a special
problem with my emacs installation/configuration.

--

@ 2012-02-23 22:44               ` Eric Schulte
From: Eric Schulte @ 2012-02-23 22:44 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Thorsten; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

>> Not sure what the "best" solution is: sometimes they are ascii art and
>> having picture mode on is helpful, sometimes they are text and some kind
>> of text mode would be more appropriate. But they could really be anything
>> so *any* choice is bound to disappoint at some point/time and I'm not sure
>> org can be prescient enough TDRT all the time.
>
> I seem to remember that before my shift to emacs24 I just used
> quote-blocks and they were in text mode and I thought that was allright
> as default behaviour. Actually, I did not even notice what mode I was
> in, because it felt so natural to edit the quote as text.
>
> I'm not really into this, its a bit strange, and might be just a special
> problem with my emacs installation/configuration.

I can confirm that this is the behavior seen on Emacs24 even when no
configuration is loaded.  I think this is the *wrong* behavior, quotes
are generally textual and loading them in artist mode (to me) is
surprising and undesirable.

In looking at the code it seems that `org-edit-special' will launch
*any* block type in fixed width mode which isn't explicitly caught by
`org-edit-src-code'.  See the relevant portion of the function [1].  I
think the fix here would be to change `org-edit-fixed-width-region'
s.t. it only returns true when in fixed width block types (e.g.,
example).  Then possibly add another case statement to launch other
block types into text-mode special editing.

Best,

Footnotes:
[1]  The call to `org-edit-fixed-width-region' returns true when the
     point is in *any* block type.

,----
`----

--