* Agenda view: Displaying the contents of a task
@ 2013-01-04  8:11 Alan Schmitt
From: Alan Schmitt @ 2013-01-04  8:11 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode@gnu.org

Hello,

I'm trying to have an agenda view where the TODO entries show the
subtree below, so that I can export them and have all the information
required. I've been looking around and it seems that what I want to do
is a "tags-tree", according to this message:
http://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/emacs-orgmode/2008-12/msg00229.html

Unfortunately I cannot get this to work, even using the example from the
manual (http://orgmode.org/manual/Setting-Options.html). If I use the
following custom view

              ("U" tags-tree "+@office"
               ((org-show-following-heading nil)
                (org-show-hierarchy-above nil)))

I get a "org-check-for-org-mode: Cannot execute org-mode agenda command
on buffer in org-agenda-mode" error when I try to view it.

Is this a bug with tags-tree? Is there a way to do what I want without
using tags-tree?

Thanks a lot,

Alan

* Re: Agenda view: Displaying the contents of a task
@ 2013-01-04 16:16 ` Bastien
From: Bastien @ 2013-01-04 16:16 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Alan Schmitt; +Cc: emacs-orgmode@gnu.org

Hi Alan,

Alan Schmitt <alan.schmitt@polytechnique.org> writes:

> I'm trying to have an agenda view where the TODO entries show the
> subtree below, so that I can export them and have all the information
> required. I've been looking around and it seems that what I want to do
> is a "tags-tree", according to this message:
> http://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/emacs-orgmode/2008-12/msg00229.html
>
> Unfortunately I cannot get this to work, even using the example from the
> manual (http://orgmode.org/manual/Setting-Options.html). If I use the
> following custom view
>
>               ("U" tags-tree "+@office"
>                ((org-show-following-heading nil)
>                 (org-show-hierarchy-above nil)))
>
> I get a "org-check-for-org-mode: Cannot execute org-mode agenda command
> on buffer in org-agenda-mode" error when I try to view it.

This means you tried to produce the tags-tree agenda view from a buffer
that is not an org-mode buffer.

The {tags/occur/todo}-tree views are special because they need to be
called from an Org buffer, they are always computed locally.

This was not very clear from the documentation so I added a note.

> Is this a bug with tags-tree? Is there a way to do what I want without
> using tags-tree?

Yes.  Either using tags-tree or any other way to limit the buffer to the
headlines you want (C-c / comes to mind) and then exporting only the
visible parts of the buffer (C-c C-e v ...)

HTH,

--
 Bastien

* Re: Agenda view: Displaying the contents of a task
@ 2013-01-05  9:38   ` Alan Schmitt
From: Alan Schmitt @ 2013-01-05  9:38 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Bastien; +Cc: emacs-orgmode@gnu.org

Bastien writes:

>> I'm trying to have an agenda view where the TODO entries show the
>> subtree below, so that I can export them and have all the information
>> required. I've been looking around and it seems that what I want to do
>> is a "tags-tree", according to this message:
>> http://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/emacs-orgmode/2008-12/msg00229.html
>>
>> Unfortunately I cannot get this to work, even using the example from the
>> manual (http://orgmode.org/manual/Setting-Options.html). If I use the
>> following custom view
>>
>>               ("U" tags-tree "+@office"
>>                ((org-show-following-heading nil)
>>                 (org-show-hierarchy-above nil)))
>>
>> I get a "org-check-for-org-mode: Cannot execute org-mode agenda command
>> on buffer in org-agenda-mode" error when I try to view it.
>
> This means you tried to produce the tags-tree agenda view from a buffer
> that is not an org-mode buffer.
>
> The {tags/occur/todo}-tree views are special because they need to be
> called from an Org buffer, they are always computed locally.
>
> This was not very clear from the documentation so I added a note.
>
>> Is this a bug with tags-tree? Is there a way to do what I want without
>> using tags-tree?
>
> Yes.  Either using tags-tree or any other way to limit the buffer to the
> headlines you want (C-c / comes to mind) and then exporting only the
> visible parts of the buffer (C-c C-e v ...)

OK, I think I understand. In my setup all the todo are in the same
file, so it should help.

So I'll rephrase my question: how can I set-up an agenda custom view
such that it shows only the TODO from one file that have a given tag, as
well as their subtrees? (I want to use an agenda custom view because the
agenda export command are really nice and easy to use programatically.)

Thanks,

@ 2013-01-05 14:38     ` Bastien
From: Bastien @ 2013-01-05 14:38 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Alan Schmitt; +Cc: emacs-orgmode@gnu.org

Hi Alan,

Alan Schmitt <alan.schmitt@polytechnique.org> writes:

> So I'll rephrase my question: how can I set-up an agenda custom view
> such that it shows only the TODO from one file that have a given tag, as
> well as their subtrees?

AFAIU it is not possible, no.  But it would be nice, I agree.

--
 Bastien