* Possible issue with the Makefile
@ 2013-02-08 21:45 Suvayu Ali
From: Suvayu Ali @ 2013-02-08 21:45 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Achim Gratz; +Cc: Emacs Org mode

Hi Achim,

While switching to the new exporter I noticed something.

In my local.mk I had `ORG_ADD_CONTRIB = org-e-*' before, but after the
switch I removed it (as you had pointed it out in another thread :)).
Despite that, all the org-e-* files under org-mode/lisp were not removed
after I did `make cleanall'.  I need to do a `git clean -f -x -e
local.mk' to get rid of them.

Don't you think this should be handled by the Makefile, or is this
non-trivial to deal with?

Suvayu

* Re: Possible issue with the Makefile
@ 2013-02-08 22:17 ` Achim Gratz
From: Achim Gratz @ 2013-02-08 22:17 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

Suvayu Ali writes:
> In my local.mk I had `ORG_ADD_CONTRIB = org-e-*' before, but after the
> switch I removed it (as you had pointed it out in another thread :)).
> Despite that, all the org-e-* files under org-mode/lisp were not removed
> after I did `make cleanall'.

You would have needed to do the "make clean" before the update that
renamed respectively moved those files if you use globbing patterns.

> Don't you think this should be handled by the Makefile, or is this
> non-trivial to deal with?

See above.  There is no way of knowing what the globbing pattern
expanded to after the files are no longer present in contrib/ and you
can't just go around in lisp/ and try the globbing there, at least not
if you don't want files to vanish at random.

Regards,
Achim.

Wavetables for the Terratec KOMPLEXER:

* Re: Possible issue with the Makefile
@ 2013-02-08 22:44   ` Suvayu Ali
From: Suvayu Ali @ 2013-02-08 22:44 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

On Fri, Feb 08, 2013 at 11:17:28PM +0100, Achim Gratz wrote:
> Suvayu Ali writes:
> > In my local.mk I had `ORG_ADD_CONTRIB = org-e-*' before, but after the
> > switch I removed it (as you had pointed it out in another thread :)).
> > Despite that, all the org-e-* files under org-mode/lisp were not removed
> > after I did `make cleanall'.
>
> You would have needed to do the "make clean" before the update that
> renamed respectively moved those files if you use globbing patterns.
>
> > Don't you think this should be handled by the Makefile, or is this
> > non-trivial to deal with?
>
> See above.  There is no way of knowing what the globbing pattern
> expanded to after the files are no longer present in contrib/ and you
> can't just go around in lisp/ and try the globbing there, at least not
> if you don't want files to vanish at random.

Thanks, I understand now :).  I'll put this in the FAQ.

Cheers,

--

@ 2013-02-09  7:44 ` Achim Gratz
From: Achim Gratz @ 2013-02-09  7:44 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

Suvayu Ali writes:
> Despite that, all the org-e-* files under org-mode/lisp were not removed
> after I did `make cleanall'.  I need to do a `git clean -f -x -e
> local.mk' to get rid of them.

The easier way of dealing with this would have been to either check out
maint and then do a "make clean" or do a "git clean lisp/" (since you
only wanted to remove files from under lisp/).

> Don't you think this should be handled by the Makefile, or is this
> non-trivial to deal with?

I've now arranged for this to be taken care of when using the update
targets, but you still have to remember to do it when you move the Git
HEAD from outside the build system across a commit that deletes, renames
or moves files that have been specified in ORG_ADD_CONTRIB.

Thank you for the suggestion.

Regards,
Achim.