* Turn off html entities in md export
@ 2015-06-26  3:01 Rustom Mody
From: Rustom Mody @ 2015-06-26  3:01 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

Bitbucket does not allow html entities in markdown
See https://bitbucket.org/rustom/vit-projects/wiki/emacs
and search for &#

So how to turn off html entities in md export?

And if thats not available any tips on how to hook say a sed-filter to
ox-md export?

* Re: Turn off html entities in md export
@ 2015-06-26  7:54 ` Nicolas Goaziou
From: Nicolas Goaziou @ 2015-06-26  7:54 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Rustom Mody; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

Hello,

Rustom Mody <rustompmody@gmail.com> writes:

> Bitbucket does not allow html entities in markdown
> See https://bitbucket.org/rustom/vit-projects/wiki/emacs
> and search for &#
>
> So how to turn off html entities in md export?

It depends on where these entities are coming from.

Anyway, vanilla Markdown supports HTML so anything "ox-md" cannot
translate into Markdown syntax (e.g., tables) is exported as pure HTML.

> And if thats not available any tips on how to hook say a sed-filter to
> ox-md export?

See filters in (info "(org)Advanced configuration").

Nicolas Goaziou

* Re: Turn off html entities in md export
@ 2015-06-26  8:11   ` Rustom Mody
From: Rustom Mody @ 2015-06-26  8:11 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

On Fri, Jun 26, 2015 at 1:24 PM, Nicolas Goaziou <mail@nicolasgoaziou.fr>
wrote:

> Hello,
>
> Rustom Mody <rustompmody@gmail.com> writes:
>
> > Bitbucket does not allow html entities in markdown
> > See https://bitbucket.org/rustom/vit-projects/wiki/emacs
> > and search for &#
> >
> > So how to turn off html entities in md export?
>
> It depends on where these entities are coming from.

Simple basic thing
... becomes …
-- becomes –
etc

> Anyway, vanilla Markdown supports HTML so anything "ox-md" cannot
> translate into Markdown syntax (e.g., tables) is exported as pure HTML.

For systems (bitbucket is just a common example) that simply does not work
because of security or whatever reasons
See
https://bitbucket.org/site/master/issue/6930/support-some-or-all-html-in-markdown-bb
for BB users clamoring but BB not likely to listen

> > And if thats not available any tips on how to hook say a sed-filter to
> > ox-md export?
>
> See filters in (info "(org)Advanced configuration").

Thanks
Will try to check that out

* Re: Turn off html entities in md export
@ 2015-06-26  8:43     ` Nicolas Goaziou
From: Nicolas Goaziou @ 2015-06-26  8:43 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Rustom Mody; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

Rustom Mody <rustompmody@gmail.com> writes:

> Simple basic thing
> ... becomes …
> -- becomes –
> etc

In this particular case, see `org-export-with-special-strings'.

> For systems (bitbucket is just a common example) that simply does not work
> because of security or whatever reasons
> See
> https://bitbucket.org/site/master/issue/6930/support-some-or-all-html-in-markdown-bb
> for BB users clamoring but BB not likely to listen

In the worst case, you might need to implement a derived export back-end
applying Bitbucket constraints.

* Re: Turn off html entities in md export
@ 2015-06-26 13:44       ` Rustom Mody
From: Rustom Mody @ 2015-06-26 13:44 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

On Fri, Jun 26, 2015 at 2:13 PM, Nicolas Goaziou <mail@nicolasgoaziou.fr>
wrote:

> Rustom Mody <rustompmody@gmail.com> writes:
>
> > Simple basic thing
> > ... becomes …
> > -- becomes –
> > etc
>
> In this particular case, see `org-export-with-special-strings'.

Thanks Nicolas
Thats a help

* Re: Turn off html entities in md export
@ 2015-06-26 15:19   ` Rustom Mody
From: Rustom Mody @ 2015-06-26 15:19 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

wrote:

> Hello,
>
> Rustom Mody <rustompmody@gmail.com> writes:
>
> > Bitbucket does not allow html entities in markdown
> > See https://bitbucket.org/rustom/vit-projects/wiki/emacs
> > and search for &#
> >
> > So how to turn off html entities in md export?
>
> It depends on where these entities are coming from.
>
> Anyway, vanilla Markdown supports HTML so anything "ox-md" cannot
> translate into Markdown syntax (e.g., tables) is exported as pure HTML.

As https://bitbucket.org/tutorials/markdowndemo/overview#markdown-header-tab
shows
bitbucket md tables are very similar to org tables (and html <table> is
disallowed)

How to say (to ox-md) "Leave tables as they are"  ?

* Re: Turn off html entities in md export
@ 2015-06-26 15:27     ` Rasmus
From: Rasmus @ 2015-06-26 15:27 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

Rustom Mody <rustompmody@gmail.com> writes:

> How to say (to ox-md) "Leave tables as they are"  ?

See org-element-interpret-data and e.g. org-org-identity.

Rasmus

--
And when I’m finished thinking, I have to die a lot

* Re: Turn off html entities in md export
@ 2015-06-26 15:32     ` Nicolas Goaziou
From: Nicolas Goaziou @ 2015-06-26 15:32 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Rustom Mody; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

Rustom Mody <rustompmody@gmail.com> writes:

> As https://bitbucket.org/tutorials/markdowndemo/overview#markdown-header-tab
> shows
> bitbucket md tables are very similar to org tables (and html <table> is
> disallowed)
>
> How to say (to ox-md) "Leave tables as they are"  ?

Write a derived export backend, e.g., ox-md-bb.el that will translate
tables properly according to Bitbucket rules.

You can also use a hook that will turn Org tables into Bitbucket
markdown tables and wrap them within a #+begin_md...#+end_md block.