* Repeating timestamp with interval N times
@ 2015-10-04 20:54 Stephen Eglen
From: Stephen Eglen @ 2015-10-04 20:54 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

Hi,
I'd like to write a timestamp like:

  ** Weekly office hour
     <2015-10-08 Thu 11:00-12:00 +1w>

but instead of having it occur every week until the end of time(!), I'd
like it repeated N (=8) here.  I can't see how to do this easily, am I
missing something?  I could use `org-clone-subtree-with-time-shift' but
ideally I'd like something concise like:

  <2015-10-08 Thu 11:00-12:00 8+1w>

Is this likely to be feasible?  I can submit a patch if it is and
someone points me in the right direction.  Or, do I need to refer to
some sexp magic "DIARY-STYLE SEXP ENTRIES"?  I can see how to fix it
by extending diary-cyclic to include the parameter specifying the max
number of repeats.

Thanks,

Stephen

* Re: Repeating timestamp with interval N times
@ 2015-10-04 22:16 ` Rasmus
From: Rasmus @ 2015-10-04 22:16 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

Hi Stephen,

Stephen Eglen <S.J.Eglen@damtp.cam.ac.uk> writes:

> I'd like to write a timestamp like:
>
>   ** Weekly office hour
>      <2015-10-08 Thu 11:00-12:00 +1w>
>
> but instead of having it occur every week until the end of time(!), I'd
> like it repeated N (=8) here.  I can't see how to do this easily, am I
> missing something?  I could use `org-clone-subtree-with-time-shift' but
> ideally I'd like something concise like:

org-clone-subtree-with-time-shift is what I would use, mainly because I
want to have my calendar stay compatible with org-caldav.el.

In the past I used org-class, which might be what you refer to below.
Example:

    %%(org-class 2014 9 26 2014 12 15 3 'holidays) office hour 9:30-10:30

>   <2015-10-08 Thu 11:00-12:00 8+1w>
>
> Is this likely to be feasible?  I can submit a patch if it is and
> someone points me in the right direction.  Or, do I need to refer to
> some sexp magic "DIARY-STYLE SEXP ENTRIES"?  I can see how to fix it
> by extending diary-cyclic to include the parameter specifying the max
> number of repeats.

My understanding is that you would like to extend Org’s "datey" syntax to
allow provide an end in this statement,

    <2015-10-08 Thu 11:00-12:00 8+1w>

What is the syntax you have got in mind?

Thanks,
Rasmus

--
However beautiful the theory, you should occasionally look at the evidence

* Re: Repeating timestamp with interval N times
@ 2015-10-05  8:17   ` Stephen Eglen
From: Stephen Eglen @ 2015-10-05  8:17 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

hi Rasmus, thanks!

> In the past I used org-class, which might be what you refer to below.
> Example:
>
>     %%(org-class 2014 9 26 2014 12 15 3 'holidays) office hour 9:30-10:30

Thank you, I had not seen that.

> My understanding is that you would like to extend Org’s "datey" syntax to
> allow provide an end in this statement,
>
>     <2015-10-08 Thu 11:00-12:00 8+1w>
>
> What is the syntax you have got in mind?

I wrote a suggestion above, e.g. "8+1w" would mean that the +1w (every week)
repeater was constrained to a maximum of 8 times.

@ 2015-10-05  9:20     ` Rasmus
From: Rasmus @ 2015-10-05  9:20 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

Hi Stephen,

Stephen Eglen <sje30@cam.ac.uk> writes:

>> My understanding is that you would like to extend Org’s "datey" syntax to
>> allow provide an end in this statement,
>>
>>     <2015-10-08 Thu 11:00-12:00 8+1w>
>>
>> What is the syntax you have got in mind?
>
> I wrote a suggestion above, e.g. "8+1w" would mean that the +1w (every week)
> repeater was constrained to a maximum of 8 times.

So you did.  Sorry.

Perhaps it's too discrete.  Perhaps "+1W/8" or something.

I haven't looked much at org-clock.el.  Perhaps you can take a look a look
and make an assertion of whether it's feasible.

Rasmus

--
Send from my Emacs