* a more inteligant way of signaling the exporter to start a new line than "\\"?
@ 2015-10-19 13:10 Xebar Saram
From: Xebar Saram @ 2015-10-19 13:10 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: org mode

Hi

This maybe a really stupid neewb question, but when im writing my slides
and course homework in org and export to reveal html, pdf etc i always get
all lines stitched together and the only way i managed to get over this is
use a "\\" sign at the end of EACH line. this is really cumbersome. I
wonder how you more experienced guys deal with this? am i missing
something? cant the exporter just use emacs lines as lines? why are they
getting joined during export?

for example this section

*** Basic data types in R
Decimals values like 4.5 are called numerics
Natural numbers like 4 are called integers. Integers are also numerics

appears like this in export

Decimals values like 4.5 are called numerics.Natural numbers like 4 are
called integers. Integers are also numerics.

the only way to deal with it is to end every line with \\

*** Basic data types in R
Decimals values like 4.5 are called numerics.\\
Natural numbers like 4 are called integers. Integers are also numerics.\\
Boolean values (TRUE or FALSE) are called logical (TRUE can be abbreviated
to T and FALSE to F).\\
Text (or string) values are called characters.\\

thanks so much in advance

* Re: a more inteligant way of signaling the exporter to start a new line than "\\"?
@ 2015-10-19 13:34 ` Eric S Fraga
From: Eric S Fraga @ 2015-10-19 13:34 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Xebar Saram; +Cc: org mode

On Monday, 19 Oct 2015 at 16:10, Xebar Saram wrote:
> Hi
>
> This maybe a really stupid neewb question, but when im writing my slides
> and course homework in org and export to reveal html, pdf etc i always get
> all lines stitched together and the only way i managed to get over this is
> use a "\\" sign at the end of EACH line. this is really cumbersome. I
> wonder how you more experienced guys deal with this? am i missing
> something? cant the exporter just use emacs lines as lines? why are they
> getting joined during export?

Essentially you want each line to be a separate "paragraph" so simply
leave a blank line in between:

#+begin_src org
  ,*** Basic data types in R
  Decimals values like 4.5 are called numerics

  Natural numbers like 4 are called integers. Integers are also numerics
#+end_src

--
: Eric S Fraga (0xFFFCF67D), Emacs 24.5.1, Org release_8.3beta-1229-ge900eb

* Re: a more inteligant way of signaling the exporter to start a new line than "\\"?
@ 2015-10-19 14:05   ` Xebar Saram
From: Xebar Saram @ 2015-10-19 14:05 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Xebar Saram, org mode

Thanks so much Eric

that helped me alot :)

appreciate it

@ 2015-10-19 14:25     ` Eric S Fraga
From: Eric S Fraga @ 2015-10-19 14:25 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Xebar Saram; +Cc: org mode

On Monday, 19 Oct 2015 at 17:05, Xebar Saram wrote:
> Thanks so much Eric
>
> that helped me alot :)

Glad I could help.

I had meant to add that what you probably wanted, in any case, was to
use lists if the text was intended for slides, as in:

#+begin_src org
  ,*** Basic data types in R
  - Decimals values like 4.5 are called numerics
  - Natural numbers like 4 are called integers. Integers are also numerics
#+end_src

As each list entry starts a new paragraph, you don't need the blank line
between them.  A list may look better than separate lines alone.
--

@ 2015-10-20  3:23     ` Eric Abrahamsen
From: Eric Abrahamsen @ 2015-10-20  3:23 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

Xebar Saram <zeltakc@gmail.com> writes:

> Thanks so much Eric
>
> that helped me alot :)
>
> appreciate it

And, if the time ever comes that you really do want to preserve line
breaks for some reason, you can set the org-export-preserve-breaks
variable to t, or use the \n:nil OPTIONS line.