* status of mobile (Android)
@ 2016-01-29 19:11 Saša Janiška
                   ` (4 more replies)
From: Saša Janiška @ 2016-01-29 19:11 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

Hello,

I'm returning to Emacs-land and wonder whether mobile-org is still
working with org-mode?

Do you have any other recommendation to sync tasks with Android phones?

For contacts/calendars I was using org-vcard/org-caldav and they worked
pretty well via ownCloud, but now, when i use GNOME, I can't tell
whether calendars are visible on GNOME's status bar?

There is Orgly, which is not open-source, but not sure whether it's
better than mobileorg?

Is there something which would work with ownCloud?

Sincerely,
Gour

--
One must deliver himself with the help of his mind, and not
degrade himself. The mind is the friend of the conditioned soul,

* Re: status of mobile (Android)
@ 2016-01-29 20:07 ` John Hendy
                   ` (3 subsequent siblings)
From: John Hendy @ 2016-01-29 20:07 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Saša Janiška; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

On Fri, Jan 29, 2016 at 1:11 PM, Saša Janiška <gour@atmarama.com> wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I'm returning to Emacs-land and wonder whether mobile-org is still
> working with org-mode?

Still works, though the development looks like it's tapered off over ~2 years:
- https://github.com/matburt/mobileorg-android

> Do you have any other recommendation to sync tasks with Android phones?

Not that I'm aware of... there's another variant (mobile-org-ng), but
like this thread, I stuck with the original:
- https://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/emacs-orgmode/2012-09/msg00651.html

> For contacts/calendars I was using org-vcard/org-caldav and they worked
> pretty well via ownCloud, but now, when i use GNOME, I can't tell
> whether calendars are visible on GNOME's status bar?
>
> There is Orgly, which is not open-source, but not sure whether it's
> better than mobileorg?
>
> Is there something which would work with ownCloud?

The mailing list is probably the best resource. Here's a couple of
relevant [recent] hits:
- http://thread.gmane.org/gmane.emacs.orgmode/103357/focus=104524
- http://thread.gmane.org/gmane.emacs.orgmode/104406/focus=104452

John

> Sincerely,
> Gour
>
> --
> One must deliver himself with the help of his mind, and not
> degrade himself. The mind is the friend of the conditioned soul,
> and his enemy as well.

* Re: status of mobile (Android)
@ 2016-01-31 12:34 ` Eric S Fraga
                   ` (2 subsequent siblings)
From: Eric S Fraga @ 2016-01-31 12:34 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Saša Janiška; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

On Friday, 29 Jan 2016 at 20:11, Saša Janiška wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I'm returning to Emacs-land and wonder whether mobile-org is still
> working with org-mode?

I use MobileOrg on Android daily so yes.

> Do you have any other recommendation to sync tasks with Android phones?

All tasks with scheduled dates and deadlines appear in my Android
calendar app.

> For contacts/calendars I was using org-vcard/org-caldav and they worked
> pretty well via ownCloud, but now, when i use GNOME, I can't tell
> whether calendars are visible on GNOME's status bar?

No idea.  I don't use GNOME and I don't even attempt to sync
contacts.

> There is Orgly, which is not open-source, but not sure whether it's
> better than mobileorg?

Not open source so clearly not better than mobileorg...

> Is there something which would work with ownCloud?

Don't know.

HTH,
eric
--
: Eric S Fraga (0xFFFCF67D), Emacs 25.0.50.1, Org release_8.3.3-497-gc74b99

* Re: status of mobile (Android)
@ 2016-01-31 15:24 ` Ramon Diaz-Uriarte
From: Ramon Diaz-Uriarte @ 2016-01-31 15:24 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Saša Janiška; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

On Fri, 29-01-2016, at 20:11, Saša Janiška <gour@atmarama.com> wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I'm returning to Emacs-land and wonder whether mobile-org is still
> working with org-mode?

Yes, I use it daily in a tablet and a phone.

> Do you have any other recommendation to sync tasks with Android phones?

I don't know of any other alternatives.

> For contacts/calendars I was using org-vcard/org-caldav and they worked
> pretty well via ownCloud, but now, when i use GNOME, I can't tell
> whether calendars are visible on GNOME's status bar?
>
> There is Orgly, which is not open-source, but not sure whether it's
> better than mobileorg?

Orgzly's author has said that probably around Q2 2016 Orgzly will be
opensourced
(https://plus.google.com/112212983680346701286/posts/hGnkkxDsUjT).

However, as far as I can tell, Orgzly will not (as of now at least?) sync
tasks/update your android calendar.

> Is there something which would work with ownCloud?

No idea about ownCloud. I do all the syncing of my org files via Syncthing
(https://syncthing.net/) but of course there is nothing org-specific
here. This is just syncing files.

Best,

R.

--
Ramon Diaz-Uriarte
Department of Biochemistry, Lab B-25

Phone: +34-91-497-2412

Email: rdiaz02@gmail.com
       ramon.diaz@iib.uam.es

http://ligarto.org/rdiaz

* Re: status of mobile (Android)
                   ` (2 preceding siblings ...)
@ 2016-02-01 23:16 ` Melleus
From: Melleus @ 2016-02-01 23:16 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

Saša Janiška <gour@atmarama.com> writes:

> Is there something which would work with ownCloud?

Davdroid from F-droid open source repository works with any compatible
with carddav and caldav specifications server including Owncloud.  So
after you got your tasks synced with the android calendar and contacts
with the android contacts you can get them all in your Owncloud (or
whatever you use) as well and vice versa.

* Re: status of mobile (Android)
                   ` (3 preceding siblings ...)
@ 2016-02-04  5:29 ` Stefan Huchler
From: Stefan Huchler @ 2016-02-04  5:29 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

I use now org-todotxt which converts TODO tasks to a todotxt file, you
can automaticly export that on a owncloud directory and then on the
android side you can use simpletask cloudless.

Its dumbed down and gives you not all options of org-mode, but ist looks
pretty and is good enough for reading through it.

theoreticly you can also import them back, again its not perfect but for
what I need perfect, I dont see android devices as input devices using
touchscreen sucks anyway, and for now thats good enough, even I need
some advancements, like emacs links get displayed as the ascii version
like [[bla][long long url]] that sucks, again its not perfect but I see
me using that, I am also not comfortable copying all my org files 1 to 1
on that mobile spy devices anyway so its maybe better that it not
understands whole org files.