* ORG update made Dired the only way to open folders
@ 2020-09-18 20:09 Ypo
From: Ypo @ 2020-09-18 20:09 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

Hi

I updated to the new version of ORG, and a problem arose (although a hidden bless too):
- now when I open a link to a folder, Dired is launched. This behaviour is different, before the update these links where open in an external window of Windows OS. Even when I use attach and choose to open in external program, Dired is used as default.
Is it possible to open links to folders out of emacs?

- The bless is that I didn't know Dired, absolutely, and now I found some features quite attractive, like finding files in a folder just writing their name.

Best regards

* Re: ORG update made Dired the only way to open folders
@ 2020-09-19  4:48 ` Ihor Radchenko
From: Ihor Radchenko @ 2020-09-19  4:48 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Ypo, emacs-orgmode

> Is it possible to open links to folders out of emacs?

Take a look at `org-file-apps' variable. You can remove
(directory . emacs) part of it to return using default system app.

Best,
Ihor

@ 2020-09-21  8:01   ` Ypo
From: Ypo @ 2020-09-21  8:01 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Ihor Radchenko; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

Thanks. It seems the problem is that "file:" links have changed their behaviour. They must be replaced by "file+sys:" links. In this way, folders are open in Windows OS.

BTW: I've tried to use M-% to make the change, but it doesn't seem to work, probably because there links have a [[][description]] that occurs them.

@ 2020-09-21  8:17     ` Ihor Radchenko
From: Ihor Radchenko @ 2020-09-21  8:17 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Ypo; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

> BTW: I've tried to use M-% to make the change, but it doesn't seem to work, probably because there links have a [[][description]] that occurs them.

AFAIK M-% does not search invisible text. When link has a description in
org, the link itself is hidden. You can set `search-invisible' to t to
make M-% replace invisible text or, alternatively, you can use
non-interactive functions (re-search-forward + replace-match).

@ 2020-09-21  8:30       ` Ypo
From: Ypo @ 2020-09-21  8:30 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Ihor Radchenko; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

(setq search-invisible t)

Working. Thanks! :-)

@ 2020-09-21 19:08     ` Nicolas Goaziou
From: Nicolas Goaziou @ 2020-09-21 19:08 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Ypo; +Cc: emacs-orgmode, Ihor Radchenko

Hello,

Ypo <ypuntot@gmail.com> writes:

> Thanks. It seems the problem is that "file:" links have changed their
> behaviour. They must be replaced by "file+sys:" links. In this way,
> folders are open in Windows OS.

file+sys: links are deprecated, tho.

I suggest to not use them.

Nicolas Goaziou

* Re: ORG update made Dired the only way to open folders
@ 2020-09-21 21:11       ` Ypo
From: Ypo @ 2020-09-21 21:11 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Nicolas Goaziou; +Cc: emacs-orgmode, Ihor Radchenko

Thanks, Nicolas

Then could it be a bug? Before the update file: links to a folder opened it out of emacs. Now it doesn't, even using "attach"'s option which offers to open links out of emacs.

@ 2020-09-24  2:22         ` Kyle Meyer
From: Kyle Meyer @ 2020-09-24  2:22 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Ypo; +Cc: emacs-orgmode, Ihor Radchenko

Ypo writes:

> Then could it be a bug? Before the update file: links to a folder
> opened it out of emacs. Now it doesn't, even using "attach"'s option
> which offers to open links out of emacs.

Which attach option is that?

Did you follow Ihor's suggestion of removing (directory . emacs) from
org-file-apps?  That entry was added to org-file-apps in v9.4 and should
explain the change in behavior you're seeing.  If that's the case,
removing it should restore the old behavior.  If that doesn't work, you
can try adding (directory . system) to org-file-apps.