* Checkbox dependencies and invisible tasks
@ 2023-04-16  9:59 Gautier Ponsinet
From: Gautier Ponsinet @ 2023-04-16  9:59 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

Hello everyone,

In an empty "emacs -Q" session, if I evaluate only the following lines:

(setq org-agenda-files '("~/agenda.org"))
(setq org-enforce-todo-checkbox-dependencies t)
(setq org-agenda-dim-blocked-tasks 'invisible)

with the following agenda.org file:

* TODO Test entry
<2023-04-16 dim.>
- [ ] a checkbox

then the entry "Test entry" does not appear in the agenda or in the
Global list of TODO items !

Am I missing or misunderstanding something?

(emacs-version: GNU Emacs 28.2 (build 1, x86_64-pc-linux-gnu, GTK+
Version 3.24.36, cairo version 1.17.6) of 2023-01-03
org-version: 9.6.3)

All the best,
Gautier.

* Re: Checkbox dependencies and invisible tasks
@ 2023-04-16 11:09 ` Ihor Radchenko
From: Ihor Radchenko @ 2023-04-16 11:09 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Gautier Ponsinet; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

Gautier Ponsinet <gautier@gautierponsinet.xyz> writes:

> (setq org-agenda-files '("~/agenda.org"))
> (setq org-enforce-todo-checkbox-dependencies t)
> (setq org-agenda-dim-blocked-tasks 'invisible)
>
> with the following agenda.org file:
>
> * TODO Test entry
> <2023-04-16 dim.>
> - [ ] a checkbox
>
> then the entry "Test entry" does not appear in the agenda or in the
> Global list of TODO items !
>
> Am I missing or misunderstanding something?

As you instructed Org, checkboxes should be considered as task blockers,
if unchecked. Then, you instructed Org to hide blocked tasks in agenda.
Your "Test entry" is blocked by the checkbox. Thus, it is hidden in the
agenda.

--
Ihor Radchenko // yantar92,
Org mode contributor,

* Re: Checkbox dependencies and invisible tasks
@ 2023-04-16 11:13   ` Gautier Ponsinet
From: Gautier Ponsinet @ 2023-04-16 11:13 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Ihor Radchenko; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

Hello Ihor,

Ihor Radchenko <yantar92@posteo.net> (2023-04-16 11:09 +0000):
> As you instructed Org, checkboxes should be considered as task blockers,
> if unchecked. Then, you instructed Org to hide blocked tasks in agenda.
> Your "Test entry" is blocked by the checkbox. Thus, it is hidden in the
> agenda.

I understand. However, the docstring of the variable says:

"Instead of t, this variable can also have the value ‘invisible’.
Then blocked tasks will be invisible and only become visible when
they become unblocked.  An exemption to this behavior is when a task is
blocked because of unchecked checkboxes below it.  Since checkboxes do
not show up in the agenda views, making this task invisible you remove any
trace from agenda views that there is something to do.  Therefore, a task
that is blocked because of checkboxes will never be made invisible, it
will only be dimmed."

I don't understand how this fits with the behavior you describe.

@ 2023-04-16 11:56     ` Ihor Radchenko
From: Ihor Radchenko @ 2023-04-16 11:56 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Gautier Ponsinet; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

Gautier Ponsinet <gautier@gautierponsinet.xyz> writes:

> I understand. However, the docstring of the variable says:
> they become unblocked.  An exemption to this behavior is when a task is
> blocked because of unchecked checkboxes below it.

Fair point.
It was an actual bug showed up after switching to lexical scope.
Fixed, on bugfix.
https://git.savannah.gnu.org/cgit/emacs/org-mode.git/commit/?id=0f6ae7296

--
Ihor Radchenko // yantar92,
Org mode contributor,

* Re: Checkbox dependencies and invisible tasks
@ 2023-04-16 12:25       ` Gautier Ponsinet
From: Gautier Ponsinet @ 2023-04-16 12:25 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Ihor Radchenko; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

Ihor Radchenko <yantar92@posteo.net> (2023-04-16 11:56 +0000):
> It was an actual bug showed up after switching to lexical scope.
> Fixed, on bugfix.
> https://git.savannah.gnu.org/cgit/emacs/org-mode.git/commit/?id=0f6ae7296

Thank you!