emacs-orgmode@gnu.org archives
 help / color / mirror / code / Atom feed
* Unwanted percent-encoding capturing data from Firefox
@ 2011-06-19 16:43 Bill Jacobson
  2011-06-20  5:04 ` David Maus
  0 siblings, 1 reply; 5+ messages in thread
From: Bill Jacobson @ 2011-06-19 16:43 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

For some months now, I've been successfully capturing Firefox data as 
explained here: http://orgmode.org/worg/org-contrib/org-protocol.html
But the results below demonstrate a problem. The 2nd and 3rd represent 
what was captured into Emacs, the quoted line in each case being what 
was highlighted in Firefox.
Emacs version is: GNU Emacs 24.0.50.1 (x86_64-unknown-linux-gnu, GTK+ 
Version 2.22.0) of 2011-05-03

Manually copied:
[[http://www.tbray.org/ongoing/When/201x/2011/05/31/Browsers][ongoing by 
Tim Bray · Me and My Browsers]]
"I like that Chrome’s fast, and I really like that it’s robust"

Org-mode version 7.4:
[[http://www.tbray.org/ongoing/When/201x/2011/05/31/Browsers][ongoing by 
Tim Bray · Me and My Browsers]]
"I like that Chrome’s fast, and I re­-ally like that it’s ro­-bust"

Org-mode version 7.4 (release_7.5.409.g4f3a3) == latest
[[http%3A%2F%2Fwww.tbray.org%2Fongoing%2FWhen%2F201x%2F2011%2F05%2F31%2FBrowsers][ongoing 
by Tim Bray %C2%B7 Me and My Browsers]]
"I like that Chromeâ%80%99s fast%2C and I re%C2%ADally like that 
itâ%80%99s ro%C2%ADbust"

I don't yet have the Elisp chops to see where this should be mended.

(The bogus hyphens are only a minor concern but they're a puzzle. 
Apparently some Javascript is sprinkling the text with soft hyphens 
which are removed when copying via the browser but not when capture 
copies using window.getSelection())

Thanks, Bill

^ permalink raw reply	[flat|nested] 5+ messages in thread

* Re: Unwanted percent-encoding capturing data from Firefox
  2011-06-19 16:43 Unwanted percent-encoding capturing data from Firefox Bill Jacobson
@ 2011-06-20  5:04 ` David Maus
  2011-06-20 12:17   ` Bill Jacobson
  0 siblings, 1 reply; 5+ messages in thread
From: David Maus @ 2011-06-20  5:04 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Bill Jacobson; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

[-- Attachment #1: Type: text/plain, Size: 1817 bytes --]

At Sun, 19 Jun 2011 11:43:49 -0500,
Bill Jacobson wrote:
> 
> For some months now, I've been successfully capturing Firefox data as 
> explained here: http://orgmode.org/worg/org-contrib/org-protocol.html
> But the results below demonstrate a problem. The 2nd and 3rd represent 
> what was captured into Emacs, the quoted line in each case being what 
> was highlighted in Firefox.
> Emacs version is: GNU Emacs 24.0.50.1 (x86_64-unknown-linux-gnu, GTK+ 
> Version 2.22.0) of 2011-05-03
> 
> Manually copied:
> [[http://www.tbray.org/ongoing/When/201x/2011/05/31/Browsers][ongoing by 
> Tim Bray · Me and My Browsers]]
> "I like that Chrome’s fast, and I really like that it’s robust"
> 
> Org-mode version 7.4:
> [[http://www.tbray.org/ongoing/When/201x/2011/05/31/Browsers][ongoing by 
> Tim Bray · Me and My Browsers]]
> "I like that Chrome’s fast, and I re­-ally like that it’s ro­-bust"
> 
> Org-mode version 7.4 (release_7.5.409.g4f3a3) == latest
> [[http%3A%2F%2Fwww.tbray.org%2Fongoing%2FWhen%2F201x%2F2011%2F05%2F31%2FBrowsers][ongoing 
> by Tim Bray %C2%B7 Me and My Browsers]]
> "I like that Chromeâ%80%99s fast%2C and I re%C2%ADally like that 
> itâ%80%99s ro%C2%ADbust"

I'm looking into this issue, but this caught my eyes:

> Org-mode version 7.4 (release_7.5.409.g4f3a3) == latest
  ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

This looks like a mixed up Org mode install, doesn't it?

It would explain the problem you face. The functions for escaping
%-encoded characters has changed significantly and if you run
org-protocol.el from 7.5 together with org.el from 7.4 you would get
exactly what you got.

Could you check if you have a mixed Org install?

Best,
  -- David
-- 
OpenPGP... 0x99ADB83B5A4478E6
Jabber.... dmjena@jabber.org
Email..... dmaus@ictsoc.de

[-- Attachment #2: Type: application/pgp-signature, Size: 230 bytes --]

^ permalink raw reply	[flat|nested] 5+ messages in thread

* Re: Unwanted percent-encoding capturing data from Firefox
  2011-06-20  5:04 ` David Maus
@ 2011-06-20 12:17   ` Bill Jacobson
  2011-06-20 19:42     ` David Maus
  2011-06-20 19:42     ` David Maus
  0 siblings, 2 replies; 5+ messages in thread
From: Bill Jacobson @ 2011-06-20 12:17 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

On 06/20/2011 12:04 AM, David Maus wrote:
> At Sun, 19 Jun 2011 11:43:49 -0500,
> Bill Jacobson wrote:
>>
>> For some months now, I've been successfully capturing Firefox data as
>> explained here: http://orgmode.org/worg/org-contrib/org-protocol.html
>> But the results below demonstrate a problem. The 2nd and 3rd represent
>> what was captured into Emacs, the quoted line in each case being what
>> was highlighted in Firefox.
>> Emacs version is: GNU Emacs 24.0.50.1 (x86_64-unknown-linux-gnu, GTK+
>> Version 2.22.0) of 2011-05-03
>>
>> Manually copied:
>> [[http://www.tbray.org/ongoing/When/201x/2011/05/31/Browsers][ongoing by
>> Tim Bray · Me and My Browsers]]
>> "I like that Chrome’s fast, and I really like that it’s robust"
>>
>> Org-mode version 7.4:
>> [[http://www.tbray.org/ongoing/When/201x/2011/05/31/Browsers][ongoing by
>> Tim Bray · Me and My Browsers]]
>> "I like that Chrome’s fast, and I re­-ally like that it’s ro­-bust"
>>
>> Org-mode version 7.4 (release_7.5.409.g4f3a3) == latest
>> [[http%3A%2F%2Fwww.tbray.org%2Fongoing%2FWhen%2F201x%2F2011%2F05%2F31%2FBrowsers][ongoing
>> by Tim Bray %C2%B7 Me and My Browsers]]
>> "I like that Chromeâ%80%99s fast%2C and I re%C2%ADally like that
>> itâ%80%99s ro%C2%ADbust"
>
> I'm looking into this issue, but this caught my eyes:
>
>> Org-mode version 7.4 (release_7.5.409.g4f3a3) == latest
>    ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
>
> This looks like a mixed up Org mode install, doesn't it?
>
> It would explain the problem you face. The functions for escaping
> %-encoded characters has changed significantly and if you run
> org-protocol.el from 7.5 together with org.el from 7.4 you would get
> exactly what you got.
>
> Could you check if you have a mixed Org install?
>
> Best,
>    -- David
David,

I didn't know to see the 7.4 bit as a possible red flag.

In /usr/local/share/emacs, I have installed Emacs 24.0.50, including the 
bundled org-mode 7.4 release.

Into ~/elisp/org-mode I am nightly git pulling and making the latest 7.5 
version

I have been toggling between 7.4 and 7.5 latest—cleanly, I thought—by 
uncommenting or commenting the line
     (add-to-list 'load-path "~/elisp/org-mode/lisp/")

Is this enough to tell you what I've mixed up?

Thanks,
Bill

^ permalink raw reply	[flat|nested] 5+ messages in thread

* Re: Unwanted percent-encoding capturing data from Firefox
  2011-06-20 12:17   ` Bill Jacobson
@ 2011-06-20 19:42     ` David Maus
  2011-06-20 19:42     ` David Maus
  1 sibling, 0 replies; 5+ messages in thread
From: David Maus @ 2011-06-20 19:42 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Bill Jacobson; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

At Mon, 20 Jun 2011 07:17:30 -0500,
Bill Jacobson wrote:
> >
> > I'm looking into this issue, but this caught my eyes:
> >
> >> Org-mode version 7.4 (release_7.5.409.g4f3a3) == latest
> >    ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
> >
> > This looks like a mixed up Org mode install, doesn't it?
> >
> > It would explain the problem you face. The functions for escaping
> > %-encoded characters has changed significantly and if you run
> > org-protocol.el from 7.5 together with org.el from 7.4 you would get
> > exactly what you got.
> >
> > Could you check if you have a mixed Org install?
> >
> > Best,
> >    -- David
> David,
> 
> I didn't know to see the 7.4 bit as a possible red flag.
> 
> In /usr/local/share/emacs, I have installed Emacs 24.0.50, including the 
> bundled org-mode 7.4 release.
> 
> Into ~/elisp/org-mode I am nightly git pulling and making the latest 7.5 
> version
> 
> I have been toggling between 7.4 and 7.5 latest—cleanly, I thought—by 
> uncommenting or commenting the line
>      (add-to-list 'load-path "~/elisp/org-mode/lisp/")
> 
> Is this enough to tell you what I've mixed up?

No, AFAIK and according to

http://orgmode.org/manual/Installation.html#Installation 

you'd need a

(require 'org-install)

When using the web version.  This file defines the autoloads for Org,
e.g. sets up the correct place where Emacs will find the correct Elips
files.

Best,
  -- David
-- 
OpenPGP... 0x99ADB83B5A4478E6
Jabber.... dmjena@jabber.org
Email..... dmaus@ictsoc.de

^ permalink raw reply	[flat|nested] 5+ messages in thread

* Re: Unwanted percent-encoding capturing data from Firefox
  2011-06-20 12:17   ` Bill Jacobson
  2011-06-20 19:42     ` David Maus
@ 2011-06-20 19:42     ` David Maus
  1 sibling, 0 replies; 5+ messages in thread
From: David Maus @ 2011-06-20 19:42 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Bill Jacobson; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

[-- Attachment #1: Type: text/plain, Size: 1536 bytes --]

At Mon, 20 Jun 2011 07:17:30 -0500,
Bill Jacobson wrote:
> >
> > I'm looking into this issue, but this caught my eyes:
> >
> >> Org-mode version 7.4 (release_7.5.409.g4f3a3) == latest
> >    ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
> >
> > This looks like a mixed up Org mode install, doesn't it?
> >
> > It would explain the problem you face. The functions for escaping
> > %-encoded characters has changed significantly and if you run
> > org-protocol.el from 7.5 together with org.el from 7.4 you would get
> > exactly what you got.
> >
> > Could you check if you have a mixed Org install?
> >
> > Best,
> >    -- David
> David,
> 
> I didn't know to see the 7.4 bit as a possible red flag.
> 
> In /usr/local/share/emacs, I have installed Emacs 24.0.50, including the 
> bundled org-mode 7.4 release.
> 
> Into ~/elisp/org-mode I am nightly git pulling and making the latest 7.5 
> version
> 
> I have been toggling between 7.4 and 7.5 latest—cleanly, I thought—by 
> uncommenting or commenting the line
>      (add-to-list 'load-path "~/elisp/org-mode/lisp/")
> 
> Is this enough to tell you what I've mixed up?

No, AFAIK and according to

http://orgmode.org/manual/Installation.html#Installation 

you'd need a

(require 'org-install)

When using the web version.  This file defines the autoloads for Org,
e.g. sets up the correct place where Emacs will find the correct Elips
files.

Best,
  -- David
-- 
OpenPGP... 0x99ADB83B5A4478E6
Jabber.... dmjena@jabber.org
Email..... dmaus@ictsoc.de

[-- Attachment #2: Type: application/pgp-signature, Size: 230 bytes --]

^ permalink raw reply	[flat|nested] 5+ messages in thread

end of thread, other threads:[~2011-06-20 19:42 UTC | newest]

Thread overview: 5+ messages (download: mbox.gz / follow: Atom feed)
-- links below jump to the message on this page --
2011-06-19 16:43 Unwanted percent-encoding capturing data from Firefox Bill Jacobson
2011-06-20  5:04 ` David Maus
2011-06-20 12:17   ` Bill Jacobson
2011-06-20 19:42     ` David Maus
2011-06-20 19:42     ` David Maus

Code repositories for project(s) associated with this inbox:

	https://git.savannah.gnu.org/cgit/emacs/org-mode.git

This is a public inbox, see mirroring instructions
for how to clone and mirror all data and code used for this inbox;
as well as URLs for read-only IMAP folder(s) and NNTP newsgroup(s).