* repeater not working?
@ 2012-09-01 13:14 Alan Schmitt
From: Alan Schmitt @ 2012-09-01 13:14 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

Hello,

I'm starting to play with repeaters, and I cannot make them work. Here
is a sample of a small file I have:

*** Archive Mail [2/2]
    SCHEDULED: <2012-09-01 Sat +1m>
**** DONE Read and archive all mail (orgmode, Sent)
     CLOSED: [2012-09-01 Sat 15:03]
**** DONE Create monthly folder and move mail there
     CLOSED: [2012-09-01 Sat 15:06]

As you can see, subtasks are done, and I have set a repeater for the
scheduling for one month. If I go on the first line and close the entry,
I get the following:

*** DONE Archive Mail [2/2]
    CLOSED: [2012-09-01 Sat 15:13] SCHEDULED: <2012-09-01 Sat +1m>
**** DONE Read and archive all mail (orgmode, Sent)
     CLOSED: [2012-09-01 Sat 15:03]
**** DONE Create monthly folder and move mail there
     CLOSED: [2012-09-01 Sat 15:06]

However no new entry appears scheduled for one month in the future.

Am I doing something wrong or is this a bug?

Thanks,

Alan

* Re: repeater not working?
@ 2012-09-01 19:08 ` Memnon Anon
From: Memnon Anon @ 2012-09-01 19:08 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

Alan Schmitt <alan.schmitt@polytechnique.org> writes:

> I'm starting to play with repeaters, and I cannot make them work. Here
> is a sample of a small file I have:
>
> *** Archive Mail [2/2]
>     SCHEDULED: <2012-09-01 Sat +1m>
> **** DONE Read and archive all mail (orgmode, Sent)
>      CLOSED: [2012-09-01 Sat 15:03]
> **** DONE Create monthly folder and move mail there
>      CLOSED: [2012-09-01 Sat 15:06]

http://doc.norang.ca/org-mode.html#ChecklistHandling describes a similar
case.

For minor (less than 5 minutes) subtasks like "Create folder, move mail
there", I would not want that to show up in my agenda, but only the
"real" task at hand: Archive Mail.

#+BEGIN_SRC org

* TODO Archive Mail [0/2]
   SCHEDULED: <2012-09-01 Sat +1m>
   :PROPERTIES:
   RESET_CHECK_BOXES: t
   :END:

   - [ ] Read and archive all mail (orgmode, Sent)
   - [ ] Create monthly folder and move mail there

#+END_SRC

>As you can see, subtasks are done, and I have set a repeater for the
>scheduling for one month. If I go on the first line and close the entry,
>I get the following:
>
>*** DONE Archive Mail [2/2]
>    CLOSED: [2012-09-01 Sat 15:13] SCHEDULED: <2012-09-01 Sat +1m>

The entry should go back to TODO and SCHEDULED: <2012-10-01 Mon +1m> ...

What is your org-todo-keywords sequence?
Did you set org-todo-repeat-to-state? (Should not be necessary...)

* Re: repeater not working?
@ 2012-09-02  6:47   ` Alan Schmitt
From: Alan Schmitt @ 2012-09-02  6:47 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Memnon Anon; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

Memnon Anon <gegendosenfleisch@googlemail.com> writes:

> http://doc.norang.ca/org-mode.html#ChecklistHandling describes a similar
> case.

Ah, interesting. I'll give it a try.

> For minor (less than 5 minutes) subtasks like "Create folder, move mail
> there", I would not want that to show up in my agenda, but only the
> "real" task at hand: Archive Mail.
>
> #+BEGIN_SRC org
>
> * TODO Archive Mail [0/2]
>    SCHEDULED: <2012-09-01 Sat +1m>
>    :PROPERTIES:
>    RESET_CHECK_BOXES: t
>    :END:
>
>    - [ ] Read and archive all mail (orgmode, Sent)
>    - [ ] Create monthly folder and move mail there
>
> #+END_SRC

I tried it and it works great (small typo: there should be a colon at the
beginning of "RESET_CHECK_BOXES"; I see that some colons are missing
also on the above site).

By the way, what is the canonical way to install contribs? The
doc.norang.ca site says to simply add a "load_path" to the source
directory of org-mode, but maybe there is another way.

>>As you can see, subtasks are done, and I have set a repeater for the
>>scheduling for one month. If I go on the first line and close the entry,
>>I get the following:
>>
>>*** DONE Archive Mail [2/2]
>>    CLOSED: [2012-09-01 Sat 15:13] SCHEDULED: <2012-09-01 Sat +1m>
>
> The entry should go back to TODO and SCHEDULED: <2012-10-01 Mon +1m>

This is also what I was expecting.

> What is your org-todo-keywords sequence?

Stolen from Bastien ;-)

#+BEGIN_SRC elisp
(setq org-todo-keywords
       '((sequence "NEXT(/)" "TODO(t)" "STRT(s)" "WAIT(w@)")
         (sequence "|" "DONE(d)" "DELEGATED(D@)" "CANCELED(c@)")))
#+END_SRC

> Did you set org-todo-repeat-to-state? (Should not be necessary...)

No, it's nil.

Thanks,

Alan

* Re: repeater not working?
@ 2012-09-02  8:39     ` Bastien
From: Bastien @ 2012-09-02  8:39 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Alan Schmitt; +Cc: Memnon Anon, emacs-orgmode

Hi Alan,

Alan Schmitt <alan.schmitt@polytechnique.org> writes:

> By the way, what is the canonical way to install contribs? The
> doc.norang.ca site says to simply add a "load_path" to the source
> directory of org-mode, but maybe there is another way.

Yes, adding the contrib/lisp/ to your load-path is *the* way.

>> Did you set org-todo-repeat-to-state? (Should not be necessary...)
>
> No, it's nil.

Maybe you set up one of these?

`org-after-todo-state-change-hook'
`org-after-todo-statistics-hook'

Best,

--
 Bastien

* Re: repeater not working?
@ 2012-09-02 13:33       ` Alan Schmitt
From: Alan Schmitt @ 2012-09-02 13:33 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Bastien; +Cc: Memnon Anon, emacs-orgmode

I found the problem, and it was me: my original entry does not have a
"TODO" in the title. (My reasoning for not putting the TODO was that
it's a project, so as such it should not appear in my agenda, only the
tasks should appear.) So when I close it (change the state to DONE), the
"choose a state window" remains open, which I hadn't noticed before.
When I choose a state in this window, then the project becomes scheduled
again.

To reproduce:

* Project
  SCHEDULED: <2012-09-02 Sun +1m>
** TODO task1
** TODO task2

Changing the project status to DONE leaves the "choose a status" window
open.

I guess I'm too much into an OmniFocus way of organizing thing, and need
to dig deeper in orgmode to find the canonical way of doing this. For
repeating projects, do you use checklists like Memnon Anon?

Best,

Alan

* Re: repeater not working?
@ 2012-09-02 20:58         ` Bastien
From: Bastien @ 2012-09-02 20:58 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Alan Schmitt; +Cc: Memnon Anon, emacs-orgmode

Hi Alan,

Alan Schmitt <alan.schmitt@polytechnique.org> writes:

> Changing the project status to DONE leaves the "choose a status" window
> open.

Yes, when there is no previous TODO keyword associated to the entry,
you're requested to set a TODO keyword.

> I guess I'm too much into an OmniFocus way of organizing thing, and need
> to dig deeper in orgmode to find the canonical way of doing this. For
> repeating projects, do you use checklists like Memnon Anon?

In my todo list, repeating items are usually 5-mins tasks (like paying
the rent) so no, I don't use checkboxes in these tasks.

Best,

--
 Bastien

* Re: repeater not working?
@ 2012-09-03 15:20     ` Memnon Anon
From: Memnon Anon @ 2012-09-03 15:20 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

Alan Schmitt <alan.schmitt@polytechnique.org> writes:

> By the way, what is the canonical way to install contribs? The
> doc.norang.ca site says to simply add a "load_path" to the source
> directory of org-mode, but maybe there is another way.

The canonical way would be the way described in the info documentation.

,----[ (info "(org)Installation") ]
| If you plan to use code from the `contrib' subdirectory, do a similar
| step for this directory:
|
|      (setq load-path (cons "~/path/to/orgdir/contrib/lisp" load-path))
`----

* Re: repeater not working?
@ 2012-09-03 15:20         ` Memnon Anon
From: Memnon Anon @ 2012-09-03 15:20 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

Alan Schmitt <alan.schmitt@polytechnique.org> writes:

> I guess I'm too much into an OmniFocus way of organizing thing, and need
> to dig deeper in orgmode to find the canonical way of doing this. For
> repeating projects, do you use checklists like Memnon Anon?

FTR: I don't use checklists that often.

My point was:

TODO Items will pop up in your agenda, checklists will not.
If "Archive Mail" involves some ministeps you just want to make sure you
won't forget, which you don't want to log separately, checklists are
probably a better idea. But don't overuse them; as a general rule, if a
subtask takes more than 3 minutes, I make it a first class citizen in
the org cosmos, i.e. a TODO item. Most ministeps are not worth jotting
down in the first place, having them in my agenda would clutter everything:

* TODO Return books to library [/]
** TODO Search books
** TODO Put books in bag
** TODO Unlock bike
** TODO Drive to library

D'oh. :) But there are cases where it is worth it.

* TODO Meeting Dr. XY
  You'll need:
  - [ ] Curriculum Vitae
  - [ ] Document A
  - [ ] Document B
  - [ ] Document C
  - [ ] Document D
  - [ ] Document E
  - [ ] Document F
  - [ ] Document G

Forgetting just one document will bust the whole meeting. But I don't need
them in my agenda.

* Re: repeater not working?
@ 2012-09-05 13:54           ` Alan Schmitt
From: Alan Schmitt @ 2012-09-05 13:54 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

Memnon Anon <gegendosenfleisch@googlemail.com> writes:

> My point was:
>
> TODO Items will pop up in your agenda, checklists will not.
> If "Archive Mail" involves some ministeps you just want to make sure you
> won't forget, which you don't want to log separately, checklists are
> probably a better idea. But don't overuse them; as a general rule, if a
> subtask takes more than 3 minutes, I make it a first class citizen in
> the org cosmos, i.e. a TODO item. Most ministeps are not worth jotting
> down in the first place, having them in my agenda would clutter everything:
>
> * TODO Return books to library [/]
> ** TODO Search books
> ** TODO Put books in bag
> ** TODO Unlock bike
> ** TODO Drive to library

Is there a way for a TODO to be hidden from an agenda until all previous
TODOs have been done? Here, there is no point in putting the books in
the bag if you have not found them ...

Alan

* Re: repeater not working?
@ 2012-09-05 16:09             ` Sebastien Vauban
From: Sebastien Vauban @ 2012-09-05 16:09 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode-mXXj517/zsQ

Hi Alan,

Alan Schmitt wrote:
>> * TODO Return books to library [/]
>> ** TODO Search books
>> ** TODO Put books in bag
>> ** TODO Unlock bike
>> ** TODO Drive to library
>
> Is there a way for a TODO to be hidden from an agenda until all previous
> TODOs have been done? Here, there is no point in putting the books in
> the bag if you have not found them ...

Look at the ORDERED property.[1]

Best regards,
  Seb

[1] That makes me think that I'd find it useful to see that information as a
tag as well. Exactly like for Beamer where some properties have an associated
tag automatically created, purely for easier visualization. What do you think?
I would clearly use that feature more (I currently don't), if this would be
the case.

--
Sebastien Vauban

* Re: repeater not working?
@ 2012-09-06  8:28               ` Alan Schmitt
From: Alan Schmitt @ 2012-09-06  8:28 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

"Sebastien Vauban" <wxhgmqzgwmuf@spammotel.com> writes:

> Hi Alan,
>
> Alan Schmitt wrote:
>>> * TODO Return books to library [/]
>>> ** TODO Search books
>>> ** TODO Put books in bag
>>> ** TODO Unlock bike
>>> ** TODO Drive to library
>>
>> Is there a way for a TODO to be hidden from an agenda until all previous
>> TODOs have been done? Here, there is no point in putting the books in
>> the bag if you have not found them ...
>
> Look at the ORDERED property.[1]
>
> Best regards,
>   Seb
>
> [1] That makes me think that I'd find it useful to see that information as a
> tag as well. Exactly like for Beamer where some properties have an associated
> tag automatically created, purely for easier visualization. What do you think?
> I would clearly use that feature more (I currently don't), if this would be
> the case.

Thanks, this was most helpful.

Alan

* Re: repeater not working?
@ 2012-09-06 15:11       ` Achim Gratz
From: Achim Gratz @ 2012-09-06 15:11 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

Bastien writes:
>> By the way, what is the canonical way to install contribs? The
>> doc.norang.ca site says to simply add a "load_path" to the source
>> directory of org-mode, but maybe there is another way.
>
> Yes, adding the contrib/lisp/ to your load-path is *the* way.

Not any longer and it has always been a way of _using_ and never been a
way of _installing_ files from contrib.

Alan, if you want to truly install something from contrib/ together
with the core part of Org, please add a line to local.mk

ORG_ADD_CONTRIB = …

(or uncomment the example, depending on when local.mk been created) and
replace the ellipsis with the base name (that is without the ".el"
suffix and without any path prefix) of those files from contrib you
would like to add to your installation.

Regards,
Achim.

* Re: repeater not working?
@ 2012-09-18  9:44         ` Bastien
From: Bastien @ 2012-09-18  9:44 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Achim Gratz; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

Hi Achim,

Achim Gratz <Stromeko@nexgo.de> writes:

> Alan, if you want to truly install something from contrib/ together
> with the core part of Org, please add a line to local.mk
>
> ORG_ADD_CONTRIB = …

As you know, I'm in favor of having a target to install the
contrib/lisp/ files.

Something like `make install-contrib' sounds good to me.

What do other people think about this?

--
 Bastien