* Using Emacs Org-mode on a server with ssh on an iPad
@ 2014-04-02 13:10 Pere Quintana Seguí
                   ` (3 more replies)
From: Pere Quintana Seguí @ 2014-04-02 13:10 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

As I mentioned in a previous message, I recently bought an iPad.

I'm considering the possibility to not use Mobileorg and use Emacs on a
server (Digital Ocean) with an ssh client and a bluetooth keyboard.

Is anyone using Emacs and org-mode this way regularly? Which ssh client
are you using? Which bluetooth keyboard?

Thanks

Pere

* Re: Using Emacs Org-mode on a server with ssh on an iPad
@ 2014-04-03 13:04 ` Ken Mankoff
                   ` (2 subsequent siblings)
From: Ken Mankoff @ 2014-04-03 13:04 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Pere Quintana Seguí; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

If you jailbreak the iPad, you can run a full emacs on the iPad
locally. http://gamma-level.com/iphoneos/ports/emacs

  -k.

@ 2014-04-03 13:07 ` Peter Davis
From: Peter Davis @ 2014-04-03 13:07 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Pere Quintana Seguí; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

On Wed, Apr 02, 2014 at 03:10:28PM +0200, Pere Quintana Seguí wrote:
> As I mentioned in a previous message, I recently bought an iPad.
>
> I'm considering the possibility to not use Mobileorg and use Emacs on a
> server (Digital Ocean) with an ssh client and a bluetooth keyboard.
>
> Is anyone using Emacs and org-mode this way regularly? Which ssh client
> are you using? Which bluetooth keyboard?

When I had an iPad, I used iSSH and a Logitech Ultrathin Keyboard/Cover. That seemed to be a pretty successful combination, though there are other apps out there.

-pd

--
----
Peter Davis

* Re: Using Emacs Org-mode on a server with ssh on an iPad
@ 2014-04-04  9:31 ` Eric S Fraga
From: Eric S Fraga @ 2014-04-04  9:31 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Pere Quintana Seguí; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

On Wednesday,  2 Apr 2014 at 14:10, Pere Quintana Seguí wrote:
> As I mentioned in a previous message, I recently bought an iPad.
>
> I'm considering the possibility to not use Mobileorg and use Emacs on a
> server (Digital Ocean) with an ssh client and a bluetooth keyboard.
>
> Is anyone using Emacs and org-mode this way regularly? Which ssh client
> are you using? Which bluetooth keyboard?

I have done this in the past, not from any iXXX product but from a Nokia
N900 which has a keyboard so I cannot answer your specific questions.

However, the one recommendation I would make is that, if you can, you
should run emacs within screen or byobu on the host so that
disconnections keep the emacs instance running.  I found it quite useful
to have that emacs running continuously while I was out and about.

Now I simply carry an OpenPandora palmtop running emacs 24 and org with
me at all times!

--
: Eric S Fraga (0xFFFCF67D), Emacs 24.4.50.2, Org release_8.2.5h-881-g957177

* Re: Using Emacs Org-mode on a server with ssh on an iPad
                   ` (2 preceding siblings ...)
@ 2014-04-04 11:54 ` Ian Barton
From: Ian Barton @ 2014-04-04 11:54 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Pere Quintana Seguí, emacs-orgmode

On 02/04/14 14:10, Pere Quintana Seguí wrote:
> As I mentioned in a previous message, I recently bought an iPad.
>
> I'm considering the possibility to not use Mobileorg and use Emacs on a
> server (Digital Ocean) with an ssh client and a bluetooth keyboard.
>
> Is anyone using Emacs and org-mode this way regularly? Which ssh client
> are you using? Which bluetooth keyboard?

I don't have an iPad but on my Chromebook I use the Chrome browser with
the Secure Shell plugin. This supports password based and public key
authentication. A quick Google shows that you can install Chrome on an iPad.

For a bluetooth keyboard I use this one:
http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B004R6S42Y/ref=wms_ohs_product?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Ian.

* Re: Using Emacs Org-mode on a server with ssh on an iPad
@ 2014-04-21 17:28   ` Steinar Bang
From: Steinar Bang @ 2014-04-21 17:28 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

> However, the one recommendation I would make is that, if you can, you
> should run emacs within screen or byobu on the host so that
> disconnections keep the emacs instance running.  I found it quite
> useful to have that emacs running continuously while I was out and
> about.

mosh is really nice for remoting like this:
 http://mosh.mit.edu/

Don't know if there is a mosh implementation for iOs, though... none
listed on the site (two applications implementing mosh listed for
Android):
 http://mosh.mit.edu/#getting

The wikipedia article mentions something called iSSH, which is said to
have a mosh protocol plugin:
 http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mosh_(software)#Supported_platforms

A short summary of mosh behaviour:
 - An SSH connection is used to connect and authenticate the user
 - After the initial SSH connection mosh switches to an UDP protocol
   that tries to keep the local terminal emulator in sync with a
   terminal emulator process running on the host, automatically handling
   disconnects, suspend, new IP numbers, etc.

When I had a working linux netbook I used mosh to connect to a couple of
servers, and it worked perfectly from hotel WiFi all over Europe, and my
ICE modem, as well as other places in the world: as soon as I had a
connection, the mosh window was live again, and at the state where I
left it (or the process on the server side had left it, actually).