* MacOS (emacsformacosx) c-spc, does not run set-mark-command
@ 2021-03-24 21:18 Uwe Brauer
From: Uwe Brauer @ 2021-03-24 21:18 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

Hi

Does anybody know how to achieve the traditional binding of
C-space to set-mark-command on MacOS (for emacsformacos)?

Shift arrow down works, but will not work for a lot of features in org
mode.

Thanks

Uwe Brauer

* Re: MacOS (emacsformacosx) c-spc, does not run set-mark-command
@ 2021-03-24 21:32 ` Tim Cross
From: Tim Cross @ 2021-03-24 21:32 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

Uwe Brauer <oub@mat.ucm.es> writes:

> Hi
>
> Does anybody know how to achieve the traditional binding of
> C-space to set-mark-command on MacOS (for emacsformacos)?
>
> Shift arrow down works, but will not work for a lot of features in org
> mode.

Have you verified c-space is not being used by the macOS UI as a
shortcut for something like spotlight search?

I now use spacemacs, but when I used my own setup, I don't recall having
to do anything special to get this behaviour apart from disabling macOS
shortcuts.

--
Tim Cross

* Re: MacOS (emacsformacosx) c-spc, does not run set-mark-command
@ 2021-03-24 22:38   ` Diego Zamboni
From: Diego Zamboni @ 2021-03-24 22:38 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Tim Cross; +Cc: Org-mode

I have seen differences in this behavior depending on the Emacs build. The
emacs-mac port (https://github.com/railwaycat/homebrew-emacsmacport) seems
to intercept certain Mac-specific keybindings such as C-space and C-M-space
and gives them their "Mac meaning", e.g. to bring up Spotlight or the
symbol chooser. I could never figure out how to disable this behavior.

Now I use emacs-plus (https://github.com/d12frosted/homebrew-emacs-plus)
and this no longer happens.

--Diego

@ 2021-03-24 22:54     ` Tim Cross
From: Tim Cross @ 2021-03-24 22:54 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Diego Zamboni; +Cc: Org-mode

Diego Zamboni <diego@zzamboni.org> writes:

> I have seen differences in this behavior depending on the Emacs build. The emacs-mac port (https://github.com/railwaycat/homebrew-emacsmacport)
> seems to intercept certain Mac-specific keybindings such as C-space and C-M-space and gives them their "Mac meaning", e.g. to bring up Spotlight or the
> symbol chooser. I could never figure out how to disable this behavior.
>
> Now I use emacs-plus (https://github.com/d12frosted/homebrew-emacs-plus) and this no longer happens.

Normally, you need to disable those 'shortcuts' at the OS level i.e.
under the keyboard shortucts item in macOS preferences panel. Problem is
any macOS shortcut will grab the keys before Emacs sees them. Not sure
how the emacs-plus version gets around this.

* Re: MacOS (emacsformacosx) c-spc, does not run set-mark-command
@ 2021-03-25  7:24       ` Uwe Brauer
From: Uwe Brauer @ 2021-03-25  7:24 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

>>> "TC" == Tim Cross <theophilusx@gmail.com> writes:

> Diego Zamboni <diego@zzamboni.org> writes:

>> I have seen differences in this behavior depending on the Emacs
>> build. The emacs-mac port
>> (https://github.com/railwaycat/homebrew-emacsmacport)
>> seems to intercept certain Mac-specific keybindings such as C-space
>> and C-M-space and gives them their "Mac meaning", e.g. to bring up
>> Spotlight or the
>> symbol chooser. I could never figure out how to disable this behavior.
>>
>> Now I use emacs-plus (https://github.com/d12frosted/homebrew-emacs-plus) and this no longer happens.
>>

> Normally, you need to disable those 'shortcuts' at the OS level i.e.
> under the keyboard shortucts item in macOS preferences panel. Problem is
> any macOS shortcut will grab the keys before Emacs sees them. Not sure
> how the emacs-plus version gets around this.

Right, it seems and issue of the OS shortcuts as C-space is for
switching keyboards (US->spanish>etc etc).[1]

Do you know how to change or disable them?

Uwe

Footnotes:
[1]  the same happens on Linux/KDE

[-- Attachment #2: smime.p7s --]

* Re: MacOS (emacsformacosx) c-spc, does not run set-mark-command
@ 2021-03-25  8:00         ` Diego Zamboni
From: Diego Zamboni @ 2021-03-25  8:00 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

On Thu, 25 Mar 2021 at 08:28, Uwe Brauer <oub@mat.ucm.es> wrote:

> Right, it seems and issue of the OS shortcuts as C-space is for
> switching keyboards (US->spanish>etc etc).[1]
>
> Do you know how to change or disable them?
>
> Uwe
>

> Footnotes:
> [1]  the same happens on Linux/KDE

On macOS, these shortcuts can be changed in the Keyboard preference panel.

--Diego

* Re: MacOS (emacsformacosx) c-spc, does not run set-mark-command
@ 2021-03-25  8:30         ` Tim Cross
From: Tim Cross @ 2021-03-25  8:30 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

>> Diego Zamboni <diego@zzamboni.org> writes:
>
>>> I have seen differences in this behavior depending on the Emacs
>>> build. The emacs-mac port
>>> (https://github.com/railwaycat/homebrew-emacsmacport)
>>> seems to intercept certain Mac-specific keybindings such as C-space
>>> and C-M-space and gives them their "Mac meaning", e.g. to bring up
>>> Spotlight or the
>>> symbol chooser. I could never figure out how to disable this behavior.
>>>
>>> Now I use emacs-plus (https://github.com/d12frosted/homebrew-emacs-plus) and this no longer happens.
>>>

>> Normally, you need to disable those 'shortcuts' at the OS level i.e.
>> under the keyboard shortucts item in macOS preferences panel. Problem is
>> any macOS shortcut will grab the keys before Emacs sees them. Not sure
>> how the emacs-plus version gets around this.
>
> Right, it seems and issue of the OS shortcuts as C-space is for
> switching keyboards (US->spanish>etc etc).[1]
>
> Do you know how to change or disable them?

I'm not on a mac at present, but from memory it is under system preferences ->
keyborad -> shortcuts.