* customize exporting "visible" contents
@ 2007-07-14  1:20 Patrick Drechsler
From: Patrick Drechsler @ 2007-07-14  1:20 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

Hi,

I currently have a large knowledge-base in a single org file (>5k
lines of code). When exporting certain sections I would like to
exclude the rest completely.

Furthermore I would like to have the current section displayed as
title with all child section being adapted accordingly.

Say I have a file ~/tmp/a.org:

* Windows
** Software for working
   * Cygwin
   * more
* Linux
** Software to install via package manager
** Software to install from source
   Use xstove
   * Emacs
   * Org Mode
     Compile, but keep locale.

I can then invoke `C-c C-e v a' with the cursor being somewhere within
the "* Linux" section. I will still end up with an ASCII file
including the other sections:

,----
|                                        =
|
| Author: foo
| Date: 2007/07/14 03:08:10
|

| 1 Windows
| ~~~~~~~~~
|
| 1.1 Software for working
| ========================
|    * Cygwin
|    * more
|
| 2 Linux
| ~~~~~~~
|
| 2.1 Software to install via package manager
| ===========================================
|
| 2.2 Software to install from source
| ===================================
|    Use xstove
|    * Emacs
|    * Org Mode
|      Compile, but keep locale.
`----

I would like to export something like this:

,----
|                                        Linux
|                                        =====
|
| Author: foo
| Date: 2007/07/14 03:08:10
|

| 1 Software to install via package manager
| ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
|
| 2 Software to install from source
| ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
|   Use xstove
|   * Emacs
|   * Org Mode
|     Compile, but keep locale.
`----

Would others find this useful? Is this difficult to imply?

Cheers,

Patrick
--
"I'm all in favor of keeping dangerous weapons out of the hands of
fools. Let's start with typewriters."

* Re: customize exporting "visible" contents
@ 2007-07-14  7:43 ` Jost Burkardt
From: Jost Burkardt @ 2007-07-14  7:43 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Patrick Drechsler; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

Patrick Drechsler <patrick@pdrechsler.de> writes:

> I currently have a large knowledge-base in a single org file (>5k
> lines of code). When exporting certain sections I would like to
> exclude the rest completely.

Hi Patrick,

I'd very much appreciate your proposed feature and propose an
additional idea, which has been on my mind for a while: it would be
very nice to be able export subsections of a file to different
export-files, maybe by using #+CATEGORY or another keyword. I like
having all my information in one file, but exporting this as a
singe webpage always lookes a mess.....

At the moment I use the following approach as a workaround:

1. move to subtree which should be exported
2. M-x org-narrow-to-subtree (or C-x n s)
3. manually adapt the heading-level via M-<left>
4. M-x org-export (or C-c C-e)
5. re-adapt heading-level and finally
6. M-x widen (or C-x n w)

which is quite quick....

Jost

* Re: customize exporting "visible" contents
@ 2007-07-15 11:49   ` Patrick Drechsler
From: Patrick Drechsler @ 2007-07-15 11:49 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

Jost Burkardt <jost.burkardt@web.de> writes:

> Patrick Drechsler <patrick@pdrechsler.de> writes:
>
>> I currently have a large knowledge-base in a single org file (>5k
>> lines of code). When exporting certain sections I would like to
>> exclude the rest completely.
>
> I'd very much appreciate your proposed feature and propose an
> additional idea, which has been on my mind for a while: it would be
> very nice to be able export subsections of a file to different
> export-files, maybe by using #+CATEGORY or another keyword. I like
> having all my information in one file, but exporting this as a
> singe webpage always lookes a mess.....
>
> At the moment I use the following approach as a workaround:
>
> 1. move to subtree which should be exported
> 2. M-x org-narrow-to-subtree (or C-x n s)
> 3. manually adapt the heading-level via M-<left>
> 4. M-x org-export (or C-c C-e)
> 5. re-adapt heading-level and finally
> 6. M-x widen (or C-x n w)
>
> which is quite quick....

Jost, thanks for pointing out this nice workaround!

Cheers,

Patrick

Patrick
--
Snoopy (on being house-trained with a rolled-up newspaper):
It does tend however to give one a rather distorted view of the press!

* Re: customize exporting "visible" contents
@ 2007-08-24  6:07   ` Carsten Dominik
From: Carsten Dominik @ 2007-08-24  6:07 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Jost Burkardt; +Cc: Patrick Drechsler, emacs-orgmode

On Jul 14, 2007, at 9:43, Jost Burkardt wrote:

> Patrick Drechsler <patrick@pdrechsler.de> writes:
>
>> I currently have a large knowledge-base in a single org file (>5k
>> lines of code). When exporting certain sections I would like to
>> exclude the rest completely.
>
> Hi Patrick,
>
> I'd very much appreciate your proposed feature and propose an
> additional idea, which has been on my mind for a while: it would be
> very nice to be able export subsections of a file to different
> export-files, maybe by using #+CATEGORY or another keyword. I like
> having all my information in one file, but exporting this as a
> singe webpage always lookes a mess.....

This will be addressed in 5.06.

- Carsten