From: Nicolas Goaziou <n.goaziou@gmail.com>
To: emacs-orgmode <emacs-orgmode@gnu.org>
Subject: Re: [BUG] adding new plain lists item changes previous one it it ends in a number on a single lijne followed by a dot
Date: Wed, 02 Feb 2011 22:16:06 +0100	[thread overview]

Hello,

> adding a new list item via M-RET (org-insert-heading) may change
> text in a previous list item, if this ends in a number on a single
> line followed by a dot:

> -------------------------------
> - Several astonishing things happened in
>   2007.
> - And then there was another item.
> - X
> -------------------------------

> Note that " 2007." has changed to " 1." in line 2.

Yes, and unfortunately, I don't see any solution here. It isn't really
a bug: a line starting with white space, followed by a number sticked
to a dot is exactly the definition, regexp wise, of a list item (as
explained in `org-plain-list-ordered-item-terminator' doc-string).
That's why removing the dot solves the problem.

There are two workarounds I can think of, at the moment:

1. Use (setq org-plain-list-ordered-item-terminator ?)). But that will
   affect every ordered list.
2. Insert some invisible char (non-breaking space " ") in front of the
   item, or just after the dot. But this requires manual changes every
   time the problem arises.

As a side-note, this problem isn't specific to recent versions of Org.
For example, in 6.33, use M-RET at X in the following example:

> - Several astonishing things happened in
>   2007. And then there was another item.X

Nicolas