From: Christian Moe <mail@christianmoe.com>
To: Nicolas Goaziou <n.goaziou@gmail.com>
Cc: Stromeko@nexgo.de, emacs-orgmode <emacs-orgmode@gnu.org>
Subject: Re: [BUG] adding new plain lists item changes previous one	it it ends in a number on a single lijne followed by a dot
Date: Fri, 04 Feb 2011 20:09:35 +0100	[thread overview]

On 2/3/11 3:09 PM, Nicolas Goaziou wrote:
> Hello,

>> Numbers at the beginning of the line inadvertently starting a list
>> item is a bug.
>
> You call it a bug, but it is actually the Org definition of a numbered
> item. This is in the manual. Though, I think I understand what you
> mean: this definition can lead to surprising results. But the user is
> warned in the documentation.

I'm sorry, that was silly of me, and I take it back. You and Achim
Gratz are both right. If it follows from the specification, and the
manual warns about it, it's not a bug.  I'm usually the first to point
that out to others... don't know what got into me.

>> It means you can mess up your exported document (it doesn't just
>> happen at M-RET) by just writing a perfectly normal text, and there
>> is no easy-to-remember escape. (I really don't like the
>> invisible-space workaround -- it's hard to remember how to insert
>> it, and it's a bizarre trick to have to tell newcomers.)

>> ReStructuredText provides a backslash-escape for this, even though
>> its more rigid structure reduces the chances of the error happening.
>> Could we borrow that trick, or would it conflict with something
>> else?
>
> I don't follow you here. Inserting a non-breaking space (it was only
> an example, by the way) is an unacceptable trick to tell to newcomers
> but adding a backslash in front of numbers isn't? It looks the same to
> me.

Sorry I put it that way, that wasn't helpful. Backslash too was just
an example. In this case, an example of a typical escape character
that's right there on my keyboard. I'm not saying it looks better than
what you get with `C-q 240' or similar, but it's easy to remember.

> As long as Org cannot tell between an ordered item and a number at the
> end of a sentence, those problems will persist. And I can't see any
> non-hackish solution about it.

Absolutely.

> We can always change `org-plain-list-ordered-item-terminator' default
> value to the safer ?), though.

As you've pointed out, there's a setting for us to tweak if we want
this, and changing the default would probably cause greater annoyances
for more people. So I'm not urging that.

I'll try to make friends with the invisible non-breaking space.
:)

Yours,
Christian