* Exporting caption with raw results from inline source blocks
@ 2013-04-24  7:33 Andreas Leha
From: Andreas Leha @ 2013-04-24  7:33 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

Hi all,

I am experiencing problems when exporting a document with inline source
blocks in captions, when I want to export raw results.

I guess the culprit are the 'raw' results.  What should I do instead?

Here is a MWE that does not export properly to LaTeX:

#+PROPERTY: exports results
#+PROPERTY: results raw

* Caption with inline source

#+name: theplot
#+begin_src R :results graphics :file someplot.pdf
  plot(1:(10+1), 1:(10+1))
#+end_src

#+caption: There are src_R{10+1} points in this plot
#+results: theplot
[[file:someplot.pdf]]

Best,
Andreas

* Re: Exporting caption with raw results from inline source blocks
@ 2013-04-26 11:49 ` Andreas Leha
From: Andreas Leha @ 2013-04-26 11:49 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

Andreas Leha <andreas.leha@med.uni-goettingen.de> writes:

> Hi all,
>
> I am experiencing problems when exporting a document with inline source
> blocks in captions, when I want to export raw results.
>
> I guess the culprit are the 'raw' results.  What should I do instead?
>
> Here is a MWE that does not export properly to LaTeX:
>

> #+PROPERTY: exports results
> #+PROPERTY: results raw
>
> * Caption with inline source
>
> #+name: theplot
> #+begin_src R :results graphics :file someplot.pdf
>   plot(1:(10+1), 1:(10+1))
> #+end_src
>
> #+caption: There are src_R{10+1} points in this plot
> #+results: theplot
> [[file:someplot.pdf]]

Is it just me, or can someone reproduce this?

Regards,

@ 2013-04-26 12:28   ` John Hendy
From: John Hendy @ 2013-04-26 12:28 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Andreas Leha; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

On Fri, Apr 26, 2013 at 6:49 AM, Andreas Leha
<andreas.leha@med.uni-goettingen.de> wrote:
> Andreas Leha <andreas.leha@med.uni-goettingen.de> writes:
>
>> Hi all,
>>
>> I am experiencing problems when exporting a document with inline source
>> blocks in captions, when I want to export raw results.
>>
>> I guess the culprit are the 'raw' results.  What should I do instead?
>>
>> Here is a MWE that does not export properly to LaTeX:
>>

>> #+PROPERTY: exports results
>> #+PROPERTY: results raw
>>
>> * Caption with inline source
>>
>> #+name: theplot
>> #+begin_src R :results graphics :file someplot.pdf
>>   plot(1:(10+1), 1:(10+1))
>> #+end_src
>>
>> #+caption: There are src_R{10+1} points in this plot
>> #+results: theplot
>> [[file:someplot.pdf]]

Do you need raw results? It works for me if I just remove the
=#+PROPERTY: results raw= line. I'm wondering if that property and the
=:results graphics= in your code block conflict?

My file:

#+PROPERTY: exports results

* Caption with inline source

#+name: theplot
#+begin_src R :results graphics :file someplot.pdf
  plot(1:(10+1), 1:(10+1))
#+end_src

#+caption: There are src_R{10+1} points in this plot
#+results: theplot
[[file:someplot.pdf]]

PDF output attached. With the results raw property line, I got goofy
caption alignment and it just said "points in this plot" instead of
the full line.

Best regards,
John

> Is it just me, or can someone reproduce this?
>
> Regards,
> Andreas

[-- Attachment #2: test.pdf --]

* Re: Exporting caption with raw results from inline source blocks
@ 2013-04-26 12:41     ` Andreas Leha
From: Andreas Leha @ 2013-04-26 12:41 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

John Hendy <jw.hendy@gmail.com> writes:

> On Fri, Apr 26, 2013 at 6:49 AM, Andreas Leha
> <andreas.leha@med.uni-goettingen.de> wrote:
>> Andreas Leha <andreas.leha@med.uni-goettingen.de> writes:
>>
>>> Hi all,
>>>
>>> I am experiencing problems when exporting a document with inline source
>>> blocks in captions, when I want to export raw results.
>>>
>>> I guess the culprit are the 'raw' results.  What should I do instead?
>>>
>>> Here is a MWE that does not export properly to LaTeX:
>>>

>>> #+PROPERTY: exports results
>>> #+PROPERTY: results raw
>>>
>>> * Caption with inline source
>>>
>>> #+name: theplot
>>> #+begin_src R :results graphics :file someplot.pdf
>>>   plot(1:(10+1), 1:(10+1))
>>> #+end_src
>>>
>>> #+caption: There are src_R{10+1} points in this plot
>>> #+results: theplot
>>> [[file:someplot.pdf]]
>>>

> Do you need raw results? It works for me if I just remove the
> =#+PROPERTY: results raw= line. I'm wondering if that property and the
> =:results graphics= in your code block conflict?
>
> My file:
>

> #+PROPERTY: exports results
>

> * Caption with inline source
>

> #+name: theplot
> #+begin_src R :results graphics :file someplot.pdf
>
>   plot(1:(10+1), 1:(10+1))
> #+end_src
>

> #+caption: There are src_R{10+1} points in this plot
> #+results: theplot
>
> [[file:someplot.pdf]]
>
> PDF output attached. With the results raw property line, I got goofy
> caption alignment and it just said "points in this plot" instead of
> the full line.

Hi John,

thanks for testing.  You see the same behaviour that I see.  This is a
bug, IMO.

Do I need the raw results?  Well, it only differs in the typeface, so I
can hardly say, I 'need' them.  But in longer and more elaborate
captions as for scientific publications, the results should appear as
ordinary text, I think.

Thanks again for the confirmation.

@ 2013-04-26 12:56       ` John Hendy
From: John Hendy @ 2013-04-26 12:56 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Andreas Leha; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

On Fri, Apr 26, 2013 at 7:41 AM, Andreas Leha
<andreas.leha@med.uni-goettingen.de> wrote:
> John Hendy <jw.hendy@gmail.com> writes:
>
>> On Fri, Apr 26, 2013 at 6:49 AM, Andreas Leha
>> <andreas.leha@med.uni-goettingen.de> wrote:

>> Do you need raw results? It works for me if I just remove the
>> =#+PROPERTY: results raw= line. I'm wondering if that property and the
>> =:results graphics= in your code block conflict?
>>
>> My file:
>>

>> #+PROPERTY: exports results
>>

>> * Caption with inline source
>>

>> #+name: theplot
>> #+begin_src R :results graphics :file someplot.pdf
>>
>>   plot(1:(10+1), 1:(10+1))
>> #+end_src
>>

>> #+caption: There are src_R{10+1} points in this plot
>> #+results: theplot
>>
>> [[file:someplot.pdf]]
>>
>> PDF output attached. With the results raw property line, I got goofy
>> caption alignment and it just said "points in this plot" instead of
>> the full line.
>>

> Hi John,
>
> thanks for testing.  You see the same behaviour that I see.  This is a
> bug, IMO.
>
> Do I need the raw results?  Well, it only differs in the typeface, so I
> can hardly say, I 'need' them.  But in longer and more elaborate
> captions as for scientific publications, the results should appear as
> ordinary text, I think.

I don't get anything with =:results output raw= even from a normal block...

#+begin_src R :results output raw :exports results
10+1
#+end_src

#+RESULTS:
[1] 11

That exports a blank LaTeX document for me:

\section*{Caption with inline source}
\label{sec-1}
% Emacs 24.3.1 (Org mode 8.0.1)
\end{document}

Perhaps that's the problem? There was some discussion recently about
the point of raw results; This makes me wonder if it was removed?

If I change to =:results value= and add =:wrap latex= above, I get
regular text exported (not inside =\texttt=). It doesn't seem that
=:wrap latex= works for inline blocks, though?

John

@ 2013-04-26 15:34       ` Eric Schulte
From: Eric Schulte @ 2013-04-26 15:34 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Andreas Leha; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

Andreas Leha <andreas.leha@med.uni-goettingen.de> writes:

> John Hendy <jw.hendy@gmail.com> writes:
>
>> On Fri, Apr 26, 2013 at 6:49 AM, Andreas Leha
>> <andreas.leha@med.uni-goettingen.de> wrote:

>> Do you need raw results? It works for me if I just remove the
>> =#+PROPERTY: results raw= line. I'm wondering if that property and the
>> =:results graphics= in your code block conflict?
>>
>> My file:
>>

>> #+PROPERTY: exports results
>>

>> * Caption with inline source
>>

>> #+name: theplot
>> #+begin_src R :results graphics :file someplot.pdf
>>
>>   plot(1:(10+1), 1:(10+1))
>> #+end_src
>>

>> #+caption: There are src_R{10+1} points in this plot
>> #+results: theplot
>>
>> [[file:someplot.pdf]]
>>
>> PDF output attached. With the results raw property line, I got goofy
>> caption alignment and it just said "points in this plot" instead of
>> the full line.
>>

> Hi John,
>
> thanks for testing.  You see the same behaviour that I see.  This is a
> bug, IMO.

Well, this may not be desirable behavior, but everything is operating
according to the spec.  Execute your inline code block manually, and
you'll see exactly what is happening during export.  The R code returns
(as a "raw" result) the following string "11\n".  When that string is
inserted into the caption, the newline breaks the caption.

The following example by contrast does work as expected.

[-- Attachment #2: no-caption.org --]
[-- Type: text/x-org, Size: 356 bytes --]

#+PROPERTY: exports results
#+PROPERTY: results raw

* Caption lost at export

#+name: theplot
#+begin_src R :results graphics :file someplot.pdf
  plot(1:(10+1), 1:(10+1))
#+end_src

Execute the following manually to see what happened at export.

#+caption: There are src_sh{echo -n $((10+1))} points in this plot
#+results: theplot
[[file:someplot.pdf]]

I'm loath to add /another/ results keyword, but perhaps it would be nice
to be able to specify that you want the results processed (e.g,
stripping the newline), but you don't want them to be wrapped as an
example.  An alternate approach which may be preferable would be to
expose a defcustom along the lines of org-babel-inline-result-wrapper,
which could be used by org-babel-examplize-region instead of "=%s=".

Eric Schulte
http://cs.unm.edu/~eschulte

* Re: Exporting caption with raw results from inline source blocks
@ 2013-04-26 15:44         ` Eric Schulte
From: Eric Schulte @ 2013-04-26 15:44 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Andreas Leha; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

> An alternate approach which may be preferable would be to expose a
> defcustom along the lines of org-babel-inline-result-wrapper, which
> could be used by org-babel-examplize-region instead of "=%s=".

I think this is a good idea.  I've just pushed up a patch which exposes
a new defcustom named `org-babel-inline-result-wrap'.  If you set this
to say the following.

    ;; emacs-lisp
    (setq org-babel-inline-result-wrap "$%s$")

Then you original example will work as expected, exporting the following
Org-mode,

[-- Attachment #2: no-caption.org --]
[-- Type: text/x-org, Size: 278 bytes --]

#+PROPERTY: exports results
#+PROPERTY: results raw

* Caption lost at export

#+name: theplot
#+begin_src R :results graphics :file someplot.pdf
  plot(1:(10+1), 1:(10+1))
#+end_src

#+caption: There are src_R{10+1} points in this plot
#+results: theplot
[[file:someplot.pdf]]

to the following latex

[-- Attachment #4: no-caption.tex --]
[-- Type: text/x-tex, Size: 801 bytes --]

% Created 2013-04-26 Fri 09:43
\documentclass[11pt]{article}
\usepackage[utf8]{inputenc}
\usepackage[T1]{fontenc}
\usepackage{fixltx2e}
\usepackage{graphicx}
\usepackage{longtable}
\usepackage{float}
\usepackage{wrapfig}
\usepackage{soul}
\usepackage{textcomp}
\usepackage{marvosym}
\usepackage{wasysym}
\usepackage{latexsym}
\usepackage{amssymb}
\usepackage{hyperref}
\tolerance=1000
\date{\today}
\title{}
\hypersetup{
  pdfkeywords={},
  pdfsubject={},
  pdfcreator={Emacs 24.3.1 (Org mode 8.0-pre)}}
\begin{document}

\tableofcontents

\section[Caption lost at export]{Caption lost at export}
\label{sec-1}

\begin{figure}[htb]
\centering
\includegraphics[width=.9\linewidth]{someplot.pdf}
\caption{There are $11$ points in this plot}
\end{figure}
% Emacs 24.3.1 (Org mode 8.0-pre)
\end{document}

Eric Schulte
http://cs.unm.edu/~eschulte

* Re: Exporting caption with raw results from inline source blocks
@ 2013-04-26 19:56         ` Nicolas Goaziou
From: Nicolas Goaziou @ 2013-04-26 19:56 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Eric Schulte; +Cc: Andreas Leha, emacs-orgmode

Hello,

Eric Schulte <schulte.eric@gmail.com> writes:

> I'm loath to add /another/ results keyword, but perhaps it would be nice
> to be able to specify that you want the results processed (e.g,
> stripping the newline), but you don't want them to be wrapped as an
> example.  An alternate approach which may be preferable would be to
> expose a defcustom along the lines of org-babel-inline-result-wrapper,
> which could be used by org-babel-examplize-region instead of "=%s=".

What about always removing trailing newline characters in _inline_ src
blocks results?

Nicolas Goaziou

* Re: Exporting caption with raw results from inline source blocks
@ 2013-04-26 20:20           ` Eric Schulte
From: Eric Schulte @ 2013-04-26 20:20 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Nicolas Goaziou; +Cc: Andreas Leha, emacs-orgmode, Eric Schulte

Nicolas Goaziou <n.goaziou@gmail.com> writes:

> Hello,
>
> Eric Schulte <schulte.eric@gmail.com> writes:
>
>> I'm loath to add /another/ results keyword, but perhaps it would be nice
>> to be able to specify that you want the results processed (e.g,
>> stripping the newline), but you don't want them to be wrapped as an
>> example.  An alternate approach which may be preferable would be to
>> expose a defcustom along the lines of org-babel-inline-result-wrapper,
>> which could be used by org-babel-examplize-region instead of "=%s=".
>
> What about always removing trailing newline characters in _inline_ src
> blocks results?

That is certainly an option.  It could be argued that the point of "raw"
is to not change the output at all, and sometimes people use (abuse)
inline results expecting to be able to have them insert multi-line
results (e.g., they support tabular output).

There are a number of solutions here which I personally would be happy
with.

--
Eric Schulte
http://cs.unm.edu/~eschulte

* Re: Exporting caption with raw results from inline source blocks
@ 2013-04-27  6:30             ` Sebastien Vauban
From: Sebastien Vauban @ 2013-04-27  6:30 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode-mXXj517/zsQ

Hi Eric,

Eric Schulte wrote:
> Nicolas Goaziou <n.goaziou-Re5JQEeQqe8AvxtiuMwx3w@public.gmane.org> writes:
>> Eric Schulte <schulte.eric-Re5JQEeQqe8AvxtiuMwx3w@public.gmane.org> writes:
>>
>>> I'm loath to add /another/ results keyword, but perhaps it would be nice
>>> to be able to specify that you want the results processed (e.g,
>>> stripping the newline), but you don't want them to be wrapped as an
>>> example.  An alternate approach which may be preferable would be to
>>> expose a defcustom along the lines of org-babel-inline-result-wrapper,
>>> which could be used by org-babel-examplize-region instead of "=%s=".
>>
>> What about always removing trailing newline characters in _inline_ src
>> blocks results?
>
> That is certainly an option.  It could be argued that the point of "raw"
> is to not change the output at all

That was one point I tried to attract attention onto: since short, we already
modify the "raw" output (by "cycling" on tables-alike results). We don't have
anymore a real "raw" results which would completely stay untouched.

> and sometimes people use (abuse) inline results expecting to be able to have
> them insert multi-line results (e.g., they support tabular output).
>
> There are a number of solutions here which I personally would be happy
> with.

Best regards,
  Seb

--
Sebastien Vauban

* Re: Exporting caption with raw results from inline source blocks
@ 2013-04-27 11:18               ` Andreas Leha
From: Andreas Leha @ 2013-04-27 11:18 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

"Sebastien Vauban" <sva-news@mygooglest.com>
writes:

> Hi Eric,
>
> Eric Schulte wrote:
>> Nicolas Goaziou <n.goaziou@gmail.com> writes:

>>> What about always removing trailing newline characters in _inline_ src
>>> blocks results?
>>
>> That is certainly an option.  It could be argued that the point of "raw"
>> is to not change the output at all
>
> That was one point I tried to attract attention onto: since short, we already
> modify the "raw" output (by "cycling" on tables-alike results). We don't have
> anymore a real "raw" results which would completely stay untouched.

I'd also vote for not modifying raw results -- at least in the inline
case.

In the case of the added linebreak, I think it is easy to add from
inside the code block it if I want it, but hard to remove.  For me it
seems really weird that I have to post-process a 'raw' result to get a
'really raw' result.
Also the added newline is inconsistent with the non-raw result, which
gets exported as \texttt{11} and not \texttt{11\\}.
And the added '\n' breaks (at least) inline results in captions.
Does not adding the '\n' break anything at all?

Having said all that, I am also ok with the org-babel-inline-result-wrap
defcustom.  Thanks for implementing that, Eric.

Regards,
Andreas