* Splitting up inline LaTeX
@ 2013-12-13 13:01 Laurens Van Houtven
From: Laurens Van Houtven @ 2013-12-13 13:01 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

Hi!

I'm using org-mode with the LaTeX export to write a book. I'm having issues
with inline LaTeX citations (\cite{some label}) and glossary references
(\gls{some label}). When the label (the thing in between the curly braces)
is split across lines, the org-mode LaTeX exporter escapes the curly
braces, so I get something like:

the beginning of the line \cite\{the first part of the label
the latter part of the label\} the rest of the line

The extra escaping of the curlies makes LaTeX very unhappy. I would like to
teach org-mode that stuff like that needs to be kept together, much like
$math mode stuff$. I tried reading the manual for advice, but those are
neither inline math (so not $$ delimited) nor an environment (\begin{} and
\end{} delimited), which are the two cases that the manual covers.

thanks in advance
lvh

* Re: Splitting up inline LaTeX
@ 2013-12-13 14:27 ` John Kitchin
From: John Kitchin @ 2013-12-13 14:27 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Laurens Van Houtven; +Cc: emacs-orgmode@gnu.org

I would use links for this purpose, which org-mode would get right across
lines. For instance, here is a cite link:
https://github.com/jkitchin/jmax/blob/prelude/jorg-bib.el#L332

so you use cite:bibkey1,bibkey2 or [[cite:bibkey1, bibkey2]] instead of
\cite{bibkey1,bibkey2}. At export time, the link is converted to the latex
they way you need it.

The code at the link above does a lot more than that and may not be
directly suitable for what you are doing, e.g. when I click on the link, it
opens my bibtex file at the entry I clicked on, etc... See this page:
http://orgmode.org/manual/Adding-hyperlink-types.html for another example
of making your own links.

John

-----------------------------------
John Kitchin
Associate Professor
Doherty Hall A207F
Department of Chemical Engineering
Carnegie Mellon University
Pittsburgh, PA 15213
412-268-7803
http://kitchingroup.cheme.cmu.edu

@ 2013-12-13 19:01 ` Nicolas Goaziou
From: Nicolas Goaziou @ 2013-12-13 19:01 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Laurens Van Houtven; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

Hello,

Laurens Van Houtven <_@lvh.io> writes:

> I'm using org-mode with the LaTeX export to write a book. I'm having issues
> with inline LaTeX citations (\cite{some label}) and glossary references
> (\gls{some label}). When the label (the thing in between the curly braces)
> is split across lines, the org-mode LaTeX exporter escapes the curly
> braces, so I get something like:
>
> the beginning of the line \cite\{the first part of the label
> the latter part of the label\} the rest of the line
>
> The extra escaping of the curlies makes LaTeX very unhappy. I would like to
> teach org-mode that stuff like that needs to be kept together, much like
> $math mode stuff$. I tried reading the manual for advice, but those are
> neither inline math (so not $$ delimited) nor an environment (\begin{} and
> \end{} delimited), which are the two cases that the manual covers.

Org doesn't support arbitrary LaTeX code. You can use export snippets:

  @@latex:\gls{some label}@@

Nicolas Goaziou

* Re: Splitting up inline LaTeX
@ 2013-12-16 13:32   ` Laurens Van Houtven