* Out of Order Evaluation
@ 2014-03-20 22:02 Michael Weylandt
From: Michael Weylandt @ 2014-03-20 22:02 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode@gnu.org

Hi,

I want to put a summary of my analysis at the beginning of a document using results calculated at the end of the document. Is this possible?

#=========
#+TITLE: Test
#+AUTHOR: Michael Weylandt
#+PROPERTY: header-args:R :session *__R__* :exports both

* Summary
The mean result was src_R[:exports results]{mean(x)}

* Analysis,
We do some complicated calculations:

#+BEGIN_SRC R
x <- rnorm(5)
#+END_SRC
#=========

Is this possible in a single pass? I've played with #+NAME and <<block()>> but haven't gotten the out-of-order evaluation quite right.

Michael

(Bonus question, is there a way to not have to put ":exports results" in inline blocks?)

* Re: Out of Order Evaluation
@ 2014-03-20 22:13 ` Andreas Leha
From: Andreas Leha @ 2014-03-20 22:13 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

Hi Michael,

Michael Weylandt <michael.weylandt@gmail.com> writes:

> Hi,
>
> I want to put a summary of my analysis at the beginning of a document
> using results calculated at the end of the document. Is this possible?
>
> #=========
> #+TITLE: Test
> #+AUTHOR: Michael Weylandt
> #+PROPERTY: header-args:R :session *__R__* :exports both
>
> * Summary
> The mean result was src_R[:exports results]{mean(x)}
>
> * Analysis,
> We do some complicated calculations:
>
> #+BEGIN_SRC R
> x <- rnorm(5)
> #+END_SRC
> #=========
>
> Is this possible in a single pass? I've played with #+NAME and
> <<block()>> but haven't gotten the out-of-order evaluation quite
> right.
>
> Michael

How about something along:

#+TITLE: Test
#+AUTHOR: Michael Weylandt
#+PROPERTY: header-args:R :session *__R__* :exports both

* Summary
The mean result was src_R[:exports results :var analysisresults=theanalysis()]{mean(unlist(analysisresults))}

* Analysis,
We do some complicated calculations:

#+name: theanalysis
#+BEGIN_SRC R
x <- rnorm(5)
#+END_SRC

Andreas

* Re: Out of Order Evaluation
@ 2014-03-21  1:34   ` Charles Berry
From: Charles Berry @ 2014-03-21  1:34 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

Andreas Leha <andreas.leha <at> med.uni-goettingen.de> writes:

> Hi Michael,
>
> Michael Weylandt <michael.weylandt <at> gmail.com> writes:
>
> > Hi,
> >
> > I want to put a summary of my analysis at the beginning of a document
> > using results calculated at the end of the document. Is this possible?

[snip]

> > Is this possible in a single pass?

Not quite. The method suggested by Andreas computes the result twice. If
there is any randomness in the results (as in the example) you will get a
different answer in the summary than when the block is later evaluated.

> > I've played with #+NAME and
> > <<block()>> but haven't gotten the out-of-order evaluation quite
> > right.

You can use

#+results: the-mean

before

#+NAME: the-mean
#+begin_src R
mean(x)
#+end_src

which is after 'theanalysis' block.

And if the format is not pleasing add a filter that reformats the result.

> > Michael
> >

> How about something along:

> #+TITLE: Test
> #+AUTHOR: Michael Weylandt
> #+PROPERTY: header-args:R :session *__R__* :exports both
>
> * Summary
> The mean result was src_R[:exports results :var
analysisresults=theanalysis()]{mean(unlist(analysisresults))}

> * Analysis,
> We do some complicated calculations:
>
> #+name: theanalysis
> #+BEGIN_SRC R
> x <- rnorm(5)
> #+END_SRC

It might be better to mark all the blocks in the doc ':eval never'
and ':exports code' or ':exports none' and put blocks before the first
headline that do all the calcs from noweb references, and put the #+results
lines (if you need them) wherever you want them in the doc. Like so:

#+TITLE: Test
#+AUTHOR: Michael Weylandt
#+PROPERTY: header-args:R :session *__R__* :exports both

#+NAME: master
#+BEGIN_SRC R :noweb yes :results silent :exports results
<<theanalysis>>
#+END_SRC

* Summary

The mean result was  src_R[:exports results]{mean(x)}

* Analysis,
We do some complicated calculations:

#+name: theanalysis
#+BEGIN_SRC R :eval never :exports code
x <- rnorm(5)
#+END_SRC

IMO, needing ':exports results' for inline src blocks is a bug not a
feature.

HTH,

Chuck

* Re: Out of Order Evaluation
@ 2014-03-21  8:01     ` Andreas Leha
From: Andreas Leha @ 2014-03-21  8:01 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

Charles Berry <ccberry@ucsd.edu> writes:

> Andreas Leha <andreas.leha <at> med.uni-goettingen.de> writes:
>

>> Hi Michael,
>>
>> Michael Weylandt <michael.weylandt <at> gmail.com> writes:
>>
>> > Hi,
>> >
>> > I want to put a summary of my analysis at the beginning of a document
>> > using results calculated at the end of the document. Is this possible?
>
> [snip]
>

>> > Is this possible in a single pass?
>

> Not quite. The method suggested by Andreas computes the result twice. If
> there is any randomness in the results (as in the example) you will get a
> different answer in the summary than when the block is later evaluated.

Well, you could enter the ':cache yes' world here.  Although, for me,
that produced more problems than it solved (since there is no tracking
of dependencies among code blocks in :session mode).

My typical workflow now is something 'less literate':  My typical
project Org file will look like this:

* Execution
This is full of #+call: lines.  By (my own) convention, this subtree has
to be evaluated before exporting the next subsection.

* Report
This is the report / presentation.

* Analysis
This contains all the code block to be called from the Execution
subtree.
(Plus usually quite a lot of code blocks from dead ends of the
project...)

This solves your problem (and is along the lines Charles suggests as
well), but requires more work than just export the document and is,
thus, less literate.

Regards,
Andreas

* Re: Out of Order Evaluation
@ 2014-03-21  8:15       ` Andreas Leha
From: Andreas Leha @ 2014-03-21  8:15 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

Andreas Leha <andreas.leha@med.uni-goettingen.de> writes:

> Charles Berry <ccberry@ucsd.edu> writes:
>
>> Andreas Leha <andreas.leha <at> med.uni-goettingen.de> writes:
>>

>>> Hi Michael,

>> [snip]

>> Not quite. The method suggested by Andreas computes the result twice. If
>> there is any randomness in the results (as in the example) you will get a
>> different answer in the summary than when the block is later evaluated.
>>

> Well, you could enter the ':cache yes' world here.  Although, for me,
> that produced more problems than it solved (since there is no tracking
> of dependencies among code blocks in :session mode).
>
> My typical workflow now is something 'less literate':  My typical
> project Org file will look like this:
>
> * Execution
> This is full of #+call: lines.  By (my own) convention, this subtree has
> to be evaluated before exporting the next subsection.
>
> * Report
> This is the report / presentation.
>
> * Analysis
> This contains all the code block to be called from the Execution
> subtree.
> (Plus usually quite a lot of code blocks from dead ends of the
> project...)
>

> This solves your problem (and is along the lines Charles suggests as
> well), but requires more work than just export the document and is,
> thus, less literate.

I should add here, that working with #+call lines is not too convenient.
These are missing some functionality compared to source blocks.  Most
importantly 'C-c C-v v' and 'C-c C-v n' are missing.  I wanted to have a
look at those for quite some time, but have not gotten around to do so.

Regards,
Andreas

> Regards,
> Andreas

>> You can use
>>
>> #+results: the-mean
>>
>> before
>>
>> #+NAME: the-mean
>> #+begin_src R
>> mean(x)
>> #+end_src
>>
>> which is after 'theanalysis' block.
>>
>> And if the format is not pleasing add a filter that reformats the result.

>>> How about something along:
>>>
>>> --8<---------------cut here---------------start------------->8---
>>> #+TITLE: Test
>>> #+AUTHOR: Michael Weylandt
>>> #+PROPERTY: header-args:R :session *__R__* :exports both
>>>
>>> * Summary
>>> The mean result was src_R[:exports results :var
>> analysisresults=theanalysis()]{mean(unlist(analysisresults))}
>>>
>>> * Analysis,
>>> We do some complicated calculations:
>>>
>>> #+name: theanalysis
>>> #+BEGIN_SRC R
>>> x <- rnorm(5)
>>> #+END_SRC
>>> --8<---------------cut here---------------end--------------->8---
>>

>> It might be better to mark all the blocks in the doc ':eval never'
>> and ':exports code' or ':exports none' and put blocks before the first
>> headline that do all the calcs from noweb references, and put the #+results
>> lines (if you need them) wherever you want them in the doc. Like so:
>>

>> #+TITLE: Test
>> #+AUTHOR: Michael Weylandt
>> #+PROPERTY: header-args:R :session *__R__* :exports both
>>

>> #+NAME: master
>> #+BEGIN_SRC R :noweb yes :results silent :exports results
>> <<theanalysis>>
>> #+END_SRC
>>
>> * Summary
>>

>> The mean result was  src_R[:exports results]{mean(x)}
>>
>> * Analysis,
>> We do some complicated calculations:
>>
>> #+name: theanalysis
>> #+BEGIN_SRC R :eval never :exports code
>> x <- rnorm(5)
>> #+END_SRC
>>

>> IMO, needing ':exports results' for inline src blocks is a bug not a
>> feature.
>>
>> HTH,
>>
>> Chuck

* Re: Out of Order Evaluation
@ 2014-03-21 18:51     ` Michael Weylandt
From: Michael Weylandt @ 2014-03-21 18:51 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Charles Berry; +Cc: emacs-orgmode@gnu.org

On Mar 20, 2014, at 21:34, Charles Berry <ccberry@ucsd.edu> wrote:

> Andreas Leha <andreas.leha <at> med.uni-goettingen.de> writes:
>

>> Hi Michael,
>>
>> Michael Weylandt <michael.weylandt <at> gmail.com> writes:
>>
>>> Hi,
>>>
>>> I want to put a summary of my analysis at the beginning of a document
>>> using results calculated at the end of the document. Is this possible?
>
> [snip]
>

>>> Is this possible in a single pass?
>

> Not quite. The method suggested by Andreas computes the result twice. If
> there is any randomness in the results (as in the example) you will get a
> different answer in the summary than when the block is later evaluated.
>
>>> I've played with #+NAME and
>>> <<block()>> but haven't gotten the out-of-order evaluation quite
>>> right.
>
> You can use
>
> #+results: the-mean
>
> before
>
> #+NAME: the-mean
> #+begin_src R
> mean(x)
> #+end_src
>
> which is after 'theanalysis' block.
>
> And if the format is not pleasing add a filter that reformats the results

Great. The named result block is just what I needed.

> IMO, needing ':exports results' for inline src blocks is a bug not a
> feature.

Agreed, particularly in light of Eric's comments at

http://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/emacs-orgmode/2014-03/msg00285.html

There's the variable org-babel-inline-header-args, but it seems using

#+PROPERTY: header-args :exports both

overrules/breaks it

Would org want something like

#+PROPERTY: inline-header-args :exports results

Or just 'hard-code' :exports results for all inline blocks?

* Re: Out of Order Evaluation
@ 2014-03-24  2:06 ` Eric Schulte
From: Eric Schulte @ 2014-03-24  2:06 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Michael Weylandt; +Cc: emacs-orgmode@gnu.org

Michael Weylandt <michael.weylandt@gmail.com> writes:

> Hi,
>
> I want to put a summary of my analysis at the beginning of a document
> using results calculated at the end of the document. Is this possible?

Yes, simply place the calculation in a subtree marked with :noexport at
the top of the document.

Best,

--
Eric Schulte