* Repeated teaching classes and stopping date
@ 2014-11-10 17:21 Xavier Garrido
From: Xavier Garrido @ 2014-11-10 17:21 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode@gnu.org

Dear Orgers,

I'm trying to move to =org-agenda= and I'm converting some of my Google
Calendar entries into Org agenda entries. I'm facing an issue with
repeated tasks and how to properly stop the event. Consider the
following entry :

* [Master 1] Nuclear & particle class
<2015-01-21 mer. 14:00-16:00 +1w>--<2015-03-22 dim.>

For me it means, I will teach every week @ 14:00 to 16:00 until the 22th
of March. I am surely doing something bad since the events actually
appear every day until the 22th of March. It basically works when I
remove the --<2015-03-22 dim.> but then how to stop the repeated tasks.

Sorry if the answer is obvious but I have read org-mode manual
(http://orgmode.org/manual/Repeated-tasks.html) and other "timestamp"
related pages and I didn't find a way to do that.

Thanks for your help,
Xavier

* Re: Repeated teaching classes and stopping date
@ 2014-11-10 17:37 ` Rasmus
From: Rasmus @ 2014-11-10 17:37 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

Hi Xavier,

Xavier Garrido <xavier.garrido@gmail.com> writes:

> I'm trying to move to =org-agenda= and I'm converting some of my
> Google Calendar entries into Org agenda entries. I'm facing an issue
> with repeated tasks and how to properly stop the event. Consider the
> following entry :
>
> * [Master 1] Nuclear & particle class
> <2015-01-21 mer. 14:00-16:00 +1w>--<2015-03-22 dim.>
>
> For me it means, I will teach every week @ 14:00 to 16:00 until the
> 22th of March. I am surely doing something bad since the events
> actually appear every day until the 22th of March. It basically works
> when I remove the --<2015-03-22 dim.> but then how to stop the
> repeated tasks.
>
> Sorry if the answer is obvious but I have read org-mode manual
> (http://orgmode.org/manual/Repeated-tasks.html) and other "timestamp"
> related pages and I didn't find a way to do that.

Did you check `org-class'?  Also check
`org-clone-subtree-with-time-shift'.  If you search for the latter you
will find a recent discussion on what I think is the topic you are
interested in.

Hope it helps,
Rasmus

--
Evidence suggests Snowden used a powerful tool called monospaced fonts

* Re: Repeated teaching classes and stopping date
@ 2014-11-11  8:07   ` Xavier Garrido
From: Xavier Garrido @ 2014-11-11  8:07 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

Hi Rasmus,

Le 10/11/2014 18:37, Rasmus a écrit :
> Hi Xavier,
>
> Xavier Garrido <xavier.garrido@gmail.com> writes:
>
>> I'm trying to move to =org-agenda= and I'm converting some of my
>> Google Calendar entries into Org agenda entries. I'm facing an issue
>> with repeated tasks and how to properly stop the event. Consider the
>> following entry :
>>
>> * [Master 1] Nuclear & particle class
>> <2015-01-21 mer. 14:00-16:00 +1w>--<2015-03-22 dim.>
>>
>> For me it means, I will teach every week @ 14:00 to 16:00 until the
>> 22th of March. I am surely doing something bad since the events
>> actually appear every day until the 22th of March. It basically works
>> when I remove the --<2015-03-22 dim.> but then how to stop the
>> repeated tasks.
>>
>> Sorry if the answer is obvious but I have read org-mode manual
>> (http://orgmode.org/manual/Repeated-tasks.html) and other "timestamp"
>> related pages and I didn't find a way to do that.
>
> Did you check `org-class'?  Also check
> `org-clone-subtree-with-time-shift'.  If you search for the latter you
> will find a recent discussion on what I think is the topic you are
> interested in.

Thanks for the hints, I should have read the FAQ first since my problem
is clearly addressed (here for example
http://orgmode.org/worg/org-faq.html#diary-sexp-in-org-files). In SO
this guy also have the same problem
http://stackoverflow.com/questions/2464598/org-mode-schedule-weekly-event-for-a-period

I will try to slightly modify the ical2org.awk file from Eric Fraga
http://orgmode.org/worg/code/awk/ical2org.awk to automatically converts
ical file into org and to manage this repeating task. I have to say that
it is a bit frustrating that the syntax <YYYY-MM-DD +1w>--<YYYY-MM-DD>
is not working because it is pretty simple and quite elegant.

Cheers,
Xavier

--

   |__     GARRIDO Xavier       Laboratoire de l'Accélérateur Linéaire
    /\     NEMO                 Université Paris-Sud 11
   /--\    garrido@lal.in2p3.fr UMR 8607
   |       garrido@in2p3.fr     Batiment 200
   |__     +33 1.64.46.84.28    91898 Orsay Cedex, France

* Re: Repeated teaching classes and stopping date
@ 2014-11-11 11:06     ` Rasmus
From: Rasmus @ 2014-11-11 11:06 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

Xavier Garrido <garrido@lal.in2p3.fr> writes:

> Hi Rasmus,
>
> Le 10/11/2014 18:37, Rasmus a écrit :
>> Hi Xavier,
>>
>> Xavier Garrido <xavier.garrido@gmail.com> writes:
>>
>>> I'm trying to move to =org-agenda= and I'm converting some of my
>>> Google Calendar entries into Org agenda entries. I'm facing an issue
>>> with repeated tasks and how to properly stop the event. Consider the
>>> following entry :
>>>
>>> * [Master 1] Nuclear & particle class
>>> <2015-01-21 mer. 14:00-16:00 +1w>--<2015-03-22 dim.>
>>>
>>> For me it means, I will teach every week @ 14:00 to 16:00 until the
>>> 22th of March. I am surely doing something bad since the events
>>> actually appear every day until the 22th of March. It basically works
>>> when I remove the --<2015-03-22 dim.> but then how to stop the
>>> repeated tasks.
>>>
>>> Sorry if the answer is obvious but I have read org-mode manual
>>> (http://orgmode.org/manual/Repeated-tasks.html) and other "timestamp"
>>> related pages and I didn't find a way to do that.
>>
>> Did you check `org-class'?  Also check
>> `org-clone-subtree-with-time-shift'.  If you search for the latter you
>> will find a recent discussion on what I think is the topic you are
>> interested in.
>>

> Thanks for the hints, I should have read the FAQ first since my
> problem is clearly addressed (here for example
> http://orgmode.org/worg/org-faq.html#diary-sexp-in-org-files). In SO
> this guy also have the same problem
> http://stackoverflow.com/questions/2464598/org-mode-schedule-weekly-event-for-a-period

They also point to `org-class` in one of the answers.

> I will try to slightly modify the ical2org.awk file from Eric Fraga
> http://orgmode.org/worg/code/awk/ical2org.awk to automatically
> converts ical file into org and to manage this repeating task.

If you want...  There are already two functions that were created for
this stuff.

> I have to say that it is a bit frustrating that the syntax <YYYY-MM-DD
> +1w>--<YYYY-MM-DD> is not working because it is pretty simple and
> quite elegant.

Patch welcome!  I can see the syntax being somewhat intuitive, but I
think maybe the double use of "--" is confusing.  Why not:

      <YYYY-MM-DD> +1w> until <yyyy-mm-dd>

Anyway. . .

Cheers,
Rasmus

--
Bang bang

* Re: Repeated teaching classes and stopping date
@ 2014-11-11 13:56     ` Karl Voit
From: Karl Voit @ 2014-11-11 13:56 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

Hi Xavier!

* Xavier Garrido <garrido@lal.in2p3.fr> wrote:
> Hi Rasmus,
>
> Le 10/11/2014 18:37, Rasmus a écrit :
>> Hi Xavier,
>>
>> Xavier Garrido <xavier.garrido@gmail.com> writes:
>>
>>> * [Master 1] Nuclear & particle class
>>> <2015-01-21 mer. 14:00-16:00 +1w>--<2015-03-22 dim.>
>
> I will try to slightly modify the ical2org.awk file from Eric Fraga
> http://orgmode.org/worg/code/awk/ical2org.awk to automatically converts
> ical file into org and to manage this repeating task. I have to say that
> it is a bit frustrating that the syntax <YYYY-MM-DD +1w>--<YYYY-MM-DD>
> is not working because it is pretty simple and quite elegant.

I was there as well[1].

Meanwhile, I prefer the clone-method because I am able to
cancel/annotate single events pretty elegant which would not be
possible with recurring events.

Give it a try :-)

[1]
http://search.gmane.org/?query=org-clone-subtree-with-time-shift+Voit&group=gmane.emacs.orgmode

* Re: Repeated teaching classes and stopping date
@ 2014-11-12  2:03   ` James Harkins
From: James Harkins @ 2014-11-12  2:03 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

Rasmus <rasmus <at> gmx.us> writes:

> Also check
> `org-clone-subtree-with-time-shift'.

FWIW, I always create a separate subtree, with a single timestamp, for every
class session. Advantages:

- Individual status for each session: DONE, POSTPONED or CANCELED.

- If a single class in a series needs to be rescheduled, it's easy.

- I can add notes under the subtree, to plan for the session or note
important things that happened in class. So then my calendar is not just a
calendar -- it also helps with content organization. (That IMO is the whole
point of org-mode: it's not just a calendar!)

YMMV of course.

hjh

* Re: Repeated teaching classes and stopping date
@ 2014-11-13  8:26     ` Samuel Loury
From: Samuel Loury @ 2014-11-13  8:26 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: James Harkins, emacs-orgmode

Dear all,
James Harkins <jamshark70@qq.com> writes:

> Rasmus <rasmus <at> gmx.us> writes:
>
>> Also check
>> `org-clone-subtree-with-time-shift'.
>
> FWIW, I always create a separate subtree, with a single timestamp, for every
> class session. Advantages:
>
> - Individual status for each session: DONE, POSTPONED or CANCELED.
>
> - If a single class in a series needs to be rescheduled, it's easy.
>
> - I can add notes under the subtree, to plan for the session or note
> important things that happened in class. So then my calendar is not just a
> calendar -- it also helps with content organization. (That IMO is the whole
> point of org-mode: it's not just a calendar!)

I like the idea of `org-clone-subtree-with-time-shift', but wouldn't it
make the parsing of the files slower?

I admit that in the example, this would not have a big impact since
there would be only 9 entries. Nevertheless, I wonder if this can be
considered as a general solution.

In my org files that sum up to 51425 lines (not taking into account the
archives), the creation of the agendas takes minutes to generate. There
are a lot of repeated items with final date¹. I cannot imagine the time
it would take if I would use `org-clone-subtree-with-time-shift'...

My two cents :-)

¹  Like in the case mentioned by Xavier
--
Konubinix
GPG Key    : 7439106A

[-- Attachment #2: Type: application/pgp-signature, Size: 472 bytes --]

* Re: Repeated teaching classes and stopping date
@ 2014-11-13 10:09       ` Eric S Fraga
From: Eric S Fraga @ 2014-11-13 10:09 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Samuel Loury; +Cc: emacs-orgmode, James Harkins

On Thursday, 13 Nov 2014 at 09:26, Samuel Loury wrote:

[...]

> I like the idea of `org-clone-subtree-with-time-shift', but wouldn't it
> make the parsing of the files slower?

Maybe but O(n)...  I doubt it would make much difference in practice
compared with parsing a complex date structure.

> I admit that in the example, this would not have a big impact since
> there would be only 9 entries. Nevertheless, I wonder if this can be
> considered as a general solution.

It's a solution that works well for the reasons given by others.  I use
it for all of my lectures and it turns out better than a single repeat
directive would because you can annotate each instance separately, not
to mention being able to easily remove lectures that might be cancelled
or change ones that may have a different location or time.  Etc.

> In my org files that sum up to 51425 lines (not taking into account the
> archives), the creation of the agendas takes minutes to generate. There

Minutes!  What version of org and what kind of system?

I have >35k lines in my org agenda files and generating an agenda on a 5
year old system takes seconds.  On my wee Pandora, it takes a minute or
so but this is a very slow system with slow SD cards...

--
: Eric S Fraga (0xFFFCF67D), Emacs 24.4.50.1, Org release_8.3beta-558-g83d8a2

* Re: Repeated teaching classes and stopping date
@ 2014-11-13 10:44         ` Samuel Loury
From: Samuel Loury @ 2014-11-13 10:44 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Eric S Fraga; +Cc: emacs-orgmode, James Harkins

> On Thursday, 13 Nov 2014 at 09:26, Samuel Loury wrote:

[...]

>> In my org files that sum up to 51425 lines (not taking into account the
>> archives), the creation of the agendas takes minutes to generate. There

> Minutes!  What version of org and what kind of system?

Org version 8.2.7c.
The system is a Samsung galaxy S3.
$ cat /proc/cpuinfo
Processor       : ARMv7 Processor rev 0 (v7l)
processor       : 0
BogoMIPS        : 1592.52

processor       : 1
BogoMIPS        : 2189.72

processor       : 2
BogoMIPS        : 2189.72

processor       : 3
BogoMIPS        : 1592.52

Features        : swp half thumb fastmult vfp edsp neon vfpv3 tls
CPU implementer : 0x41
CPU architecture: 7
CPU variant     : 0x3
CPU part        : 0xc09
CPU revision    : 0

Chip revision   : 0011
Hardware        : SMDK4x12
Revision        : 000c
Serial          : cfca7043323016d7

With a RAM of 800Mo.

> I have >35k lines in my org agenda files and generating an agenda on a
>5
> year old system takes seconds.  On my wee Pandora, it takes a minute or
> so but this is a very slow system with slow SD cards...

I don't understand how the SD card speed is to be taken into account
since org mode by default loads into emacs (and then in memory) all the
org files prior to computing the agenda.

--

@ 2014-11-13 16:22           ` Eric S Fraga
From: Eric S Fraga @ 2014-11-13 16:22 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Samuel Loury; +Cc: emacs-orgmode, James Harkins

On Thursday, 13 Nov 2014 at 11:44, Samuel Loury wrote:

[...]

>> Minutes!  What version of org and what kind of system?
>
> Org version 8.2.7c.
> The system is a Samsung galaxy S3.

Ah, interesting.  Yes, not a terribly fast system so probably eplains
your performance issues.  Mind you, more than twice as fast as my
pandora :) :

Processor	: ARMv7 Processor rev 3 (v7l)
BogoMIPS	: 795.51
Features	: swp half thumb fastmult vfp edsp thumbee neon vfpv3 tls

I do periodically go through and archive sections of my org files to
keep the times bearable on the pandora and I use sticky agenda views to
help avoid unnecessary regeneration.

> I don't understand how the SD card speed is to be taken into account
> since org mode by default loads into emacs (and then in memory) all the
> org files prior to computing the agenda.

Are you sure?  I had the impression that my org files were not accessed
until I asked for the agenda.  But maybe they are in which case you are
correct that the SD card doesn't matter.

--
: Eric S Fraga (0xFFFCF67D), Emacs 24.4.1, Org release_8.3beta-558-g83d8a2

* Re: Repeated teaching classes and stopping date
@ 2014-11-14  9:42             ` Samuel Loury
From: Samuel Loury @ 2014-11-14  9:42 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Eric S Fraga; +Cc: emacs-orgmode, James Harkins

> On Thursday, 13 Nov 2014 at 11:44, Samuel Loury wrote:

[...]

> and I use sticky agenda views to help avoid unnecessary regeneration.

Wow, sticky agenda views are cool!

>> I don't understand how the SD card speed is to be taken into account
>> since org mode by default loads into emacs (and then in memory) all the
>> org files prior to computing the agenda.
>
> Are you sure?  I had the impression that my org files were not accessed
> until I asked for the agenda.  But maybe they are in which case you are
> correct that the SD card doesn't matter.

Actually, the first agenda generation appears to load all the buffers
and next generations only use the existing buffers.

Therefore, the SD card matters indeed for the first generation.

--

@ 2014-11-14 11:32               ` Eric S Fraga
From: Eric S Fraga @ 2014-11-14 11:32 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Samuel Loury; +Cc: emacs-orgmode, James Harkins

On Friday, 14 Nov 2014 at 10:42, Samuel Loury wrote:
> Eric S Fraga <e.fraga@ucl.ac.uk> writes:
>
>> On Thursday, 13 Nov 2014 at 11:44, Samuel Loury wrote:
>>

> [...]
>
>> and I use sticky agenda views to help avoid unnecessary regeneration.
>
> Wow, sticky agenda views are cool!

Indeed!  And essential for org on slow devices and large files.

--
: Eric S Fraga (0xFFFCF67D), Emacs 25.0.50.1, Org release_8.3beta-558-g83d8a2