* install org-element, org-db
@ 2015-08-28 16:12 Lawrence Bottorff
From: Lawrence Bottorff @ 2015-08-28 16:12 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

What's the best way to install latest org-element and org-db? They're not
default, are they? They're not in ELPA.

* Re: install org-element, org-db
@ 2015-08-28 16:27 ` Rasmus
From: Rasmus @ 2015-08-28 16:27 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

Lawrence Bottorff <borgauf@gmail.com> writes:

> What's the best way to install latest org-element and org-db? They're not
> default, are they? They're not in ELPA.

Don't know what org-db is.  Re org-element you should probably use the one
that comes with your org-package.  IOW, you general org version and your
org-element version should be in sync.

Hope it helps,
Rasmus

--
Tack, ni svenska vakttorn. Med plutonium tvingar vi dansken på knä!

* Re: install org-element, org-db
@ 2015-08-28 18:02   ` Lawrence Bottorff
From: Lawrence Bottorff @ 2015-08-28 18:02 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

Yes, I got confused when I did M-x org-element-interpret-data and got
nothing. I used it in a code block and it worked fine. Beginner question
for sure: Why do these functions not work as M-x commands, rather, just in
elisp code?

BTW, how would I run org-element-interpret-data and have it just place the
output directly into my buffer without placing it in the #+RESULTS: output
format? I see I can customize the #+RESULTS: word itself, and, of
course, *:results
raw* almost gets it, but still puts the #+RESULTS: label at the top.

@ 2015-08-28 18:17     ` Rasmus
From: Rasmus @ 2015-08-28 18:17 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

Lawrence Bottorff <borgauf@gmail.com> writes:

> Yes, I got confused when I did M-x org-element-interpret-data and got
> nothing. I used it in a code block and it worked fine. Beginner question
> for sure: Why do these functions not work as M-x commands, rather, just in
> elisp code?

The technical reason: Function that are not marked as interactive won't
show up in M-x.  See the the docstring of interactive and the elisp manual
for details.

Why wasn't it marked interactive [note, I'm speculating here]?  It's
unlikely that you could want or should to run org-element-interpret-data
with "hand-written" input.  The org-element form becomes quite long (check
org-element-at-point on your favorite element).  In any case, when you
need it just do M-:.

> BTW, how would I run org-element-interpret-data and have it just place the
> output directly into my buffer without placing it in the #+RESULTS: output
> format? I see I can customize the #+RESULTS: word itself, and, of
> course, *:results
> raw* almost gets it, but still puts the #+RESULTS: label at the top.

To the best of my knowledge I would say no.  If I'm wrong Nick D will
surely chim in with the correct answer.

Rasmus

--
May contains speling mistake

* Re: install org-element, org-db
@ 2015-08-28 18:21     ` Nick Dokos
From: Nick Dokos @ 2015-08-28 18:21 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

Lawrence Bottorff <borgauf@gmail.com> writes:

> Yes, I got confused when I did M-x org-element-interpret-data and got nothing. I used it in a code block
> and it worked fine. Beginner question for sure: Why do these functions not work as M-x commands, rather,
> just in elisp code?

It's the difference between "commands" and functions. Commands are
functions that contain an (interactive) form and can be executed with
M-x <command> RET.  Functions need to be evaluated with M-: (<function>
<args>...) RET.

See the "command" entry in

   (info "(elisp) What is a function")

and references therein. I should say that the above is not quite
accurate but it captures 99% of what you need to know. Read the
references for the whole story.

> BTW, how would I run org-element-interpret-data and have it just place the output directly into my
> buffer without placing it in the #+RESULTS: output format? I see I can customize the #+RESULTS: word
> itself, and, of course, :results raw almost gets it, but still puts the #+RESULTS: label at the top.

M-: (org-element-interpret-data) RET

would evaluate the function, but any results would go to the echo area,
not your buffer. Adding a prefix argument would do what you want:

C-u M-: (org-element-interpret-data) RET

> On Fri, Aug 28, 2015 at 4:27 PM, Rasmus <rasmus@gmx.us> wrote:
>
>     Lawrence Bottorff <borgauf@gmail.com> writes:
>
>     > What's the best way to install latest org-element and org-db? They're not
>     > default, are they? They're not in ELPA.
>
>     Don't know what org-db is.  Re org-element you should probably use the one
>     that comes with your org-package.  IOW, you general org version and your
>     org-element version should be in sync.
>
>     Hope it helps,
>     Rasmus
>
>     --
>     Tack, ni svenska vakttorn. Med plutonium tvingar vi dansken på knä!

Nick

* Re: install org-element, org-db
@ 2015-08-28 18:34       ` Nick Dokos
From: Nick Dokos @ 2015-08-28 18:34 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

Nick Dokos <ndokos@gmail.com> writes:

>> BTW, how would I run org-element-interpret-data and have it just place the output directly into my
>> buffer without placing it in the #+RESULTS: output format? I see I can customize the #+RESULTS: word
>> itself, and, of course, :results raw almost gets it, but still puts the #+RESULTS: label at the top.
>>

> M-: (org-element-interpret-data) RET
>
> would evaluate the function, but any results would go to the echo area,
> not your buffer. Adding a prefix argument would do what you want:
>
> C-u M-: (org-element-interpret-data) RET

I didn't look at the definition before posting, sorry -
org-element-interpret-data takes an argument and you need to
pass it in the call:

C-u M-: (org-element-interpret-data  <data>) RET

As Rasmus points out, that might be complicated/inconvenient/both.

Nick