* Bug: horizontal lines in tables [8.2.10 (release_8.2.10 @ /usr/local/share/emacs/24.5/lisp/org/)]
@ 2015-10-24 14:57 Guido Kraemer
From: Guido Kraemer @ 2015-10-24 14:57 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

Dear Emacs team,

if I have a table with an empty line

| row 1   |
|         |
| row 3   |

and want to insert a horizontal line I would expect the line to be
inserted adding some dashes and pressing TAB

| row 1   |
| ------- |
| row 3   |

but the cursor simply switches to the next cell and the horizontal line
is not being inserted. If I press DEL first, the ending | is moved and
the horizontal line is being inserted as expected.

| row 1   |
| ------ |
| row 3   |

TAB turns it into

| row 1   |
|---------|
| row 3   |

Cheers,
Guido

Emacs : GNU Emacs 24.5.1 (x86_64-unknown-linux-gnu, GTK+ Version 3.10.8)
of 2015-10-20 on my-computer
Package: Org-mode version 8.2.10 (release_8.2.10 @
/usr/local/share/emacs/24.5/lisp/org/)

* Re: Bug: horizontal lines in tables [8.2.10 (release_8.2.10 @ /usr/local/share/emacs/24.5/lisp/org/)]
@ 2015-10-24 15:50 ` Nicolas Goaziou
From: Nicolas Goaziou @ 2015-10-24 15:50 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Guido Kraemer; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

Hello,

Guido Kraemer <dr.moebius@gmx.de> writes:

> Dear Emacs team,
>
> if I have a table with an empty line
>
> | row 1   |
> |         |
> | row 3   |
>
> and want to insert a horizontal line I would expect the line to be
> inserted adding some dashes and pressing TAB
>
> | row 1   |
> | ------- |
> | row 3   |

Why ?

C-c - inserts a horizontal line. So does |- TAB, and |---| but the line
should not contain any space, as you noticed.

Nicolas Goaziou

* Re: Bug: horizontal lines in tables [8.2.10 (release_8.2.10 @ /usr/local/share/emacs/24.5/lisp/org/)]
@ 2015-10-24 20:35   ` Guido Kraemer
From: Guido Kraemer @ 2015-10-24 20:35 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Nicolas Goaziou; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

Hi Nicolas,

I thought that I read somewhere that more than 5 consecutive dashes plus
a realign make a horizontal line, but it seems that I mixed that up with
the markup part of the documentation.

If you do |- TAB and the table does not have to be realigned, then the
horizontal line will not show up until the next time the table has to be
realigned.

Thanks for the reply, and sorry that I bothered you. I am just learning
org-mode, I am using it to organize my PhD and it really is a lot of fun.

Cheers,
Guido

--
Guido Kraemer
+49 - 1577 - 609 94 39

* Re: Bug: horizontal lines in tables [8.2.10 (release_8.2.10 @ /usr/local/share/emacs/24.5/lisp/org/)]
@ 2015-10-25  8:42     ` Nicolas Goaziou
From: Nicolas Goaziou @ 2015-10-25  8:42 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Guido Kraemer; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

Guido Kraemer <dr.moebius@gmx.de> writes:

> If you do |- TAB and the table does not have to be realigned, then the
> horizontal line will not show up until the next time the table has to
> be realigned.

Could you show an example?