* Latex export fails for plain lists deeper than four, works for html
@ 2016-12-03 16:45 Scott Otterson
From: Scott Otterson @ 2016-12-03 16:45 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Emacs-orgmode@gnu.org

If a plain list has more than four levels, org-mode will produce latex that
crashes.  See attached.  On the other hand, html export works fine, even
for much deeper lists.

In a large org file, this export error is pretty time consuming for a naive
user (me) to isolate, so I'd like to suggest that, before crashing latexmk,
org-mode should at least print a human-readable warning -- especially since
deep list export works for other export types.

Better yet, would be deeper latex lists.  There are ways:

http://tex.stackexchange.com/questions/41408/a-five-level-deep-list

[-- Attachment #2: only4plainListLevels.org --]

1. level 1.1
   1. level 2.1
      1. level 3.1
         1. level 4.1
            1. level 5.1 (works if this level is deleted)
            2. level 5.2 (works if this level is deleted)
         2. level 4.2
      2. level 3.2
   2. level 2.2
2. level 1.2

* Re: Latex export fails for plain lists deeper than four, works for html
@ 2016-12-03 21:10 ` Nicolas Goaziou
From: Nicolas Goaziou @ 2016-12-03 21:10 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Scott Otterson; +Cc: Emacs-orgmode@gnu.org

Hello,

Scott Otterson <scotto@sharpleaf.org> writes:

> If a plain list has more than four levels, org-mode will produce latex that
> crashes.  See attached.  On the other hand, html export works fine, even
> for much deeper lists.
>
> In a large org file, this export error is pretty time consuming for a naive
> user (me) to isolate, so I'd like to suggest that, before crashing latexmk,
> org-mode should at least print a human-readable warning -- especially since
> deep list export works for other export types.
>
> Better yet, would be deeper latex lists.  There are ways:
>
> http://tex.stackexchange.com/questions/41408/a-five-level-deep-list
> 1. level 1.1
>    1. level 2.1
>       1. level 3.1
>          1. level 4.1
>             1. level 5.1 (works if this level is deleted)
>             2. level 5.2 (works if this level is deleted)
>          2. level 4.2
>       2. level 3.2
>    2. level 2.2
> 2. level 1.2

Again, this doesn't crash here.

Also, the manual already gives hint about how to support more than four
levels of nesting for lists.

Nicolas Goaziou

* Re: Latex export fails for plain lists deeper than four, works for html
@ 2016-12-05  8:30   ` Scott Otterson
From: Scott Otterson @ 2016-12-05  8:30 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Scott Otterson, Emacs-orgmode@gnu.org

Hi Nicolas, thanks for trying to replicate this on Linux.  What happens for
you if it doesn't crash?  Does the latex export just work and produce a pdf
with a set of properly nested lists?

Would you be willing to sent me .tex your latex export produces?  It seems
unlikely, but maybe org use a different/additional latex library on Linux
than it does in Windows.  Or alternatively, TexLive installs different/more
libraries on Windows.  Anyway, it would be nice to figure it out.

I googled quickly for the hint you mentioned but couldn't find it.

@ 2016-12-07 11:26     ` Nicolas Goaziou
From: Nicolas Goaziou @ 2016-12-07 11:26 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Scott Otterson; +Cc: Emacs-orgmode@gnu.org