* org-notify dbus send message to KDE/Plasma caused desktop suspend
@ 2019-09-11  1:02 numbchild
From: numbchild @ 2019-09-11  1:02 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Org-mode

org-notify dbus send message to KDE/Plasma caused desktop suspend and high
CPU,memory resources.

Here is my config:
```elisp
(setq org-notify-audible nil)
(org-notify-add 'default
                '(:time "1h" :period "1h" :duration 8
                        :actions (-ding -notify/window)
                        :audible t))
(org-notify-start (* 60 2))
```

When I have about 10 deadline tasks to be reminded at once, dbus suspend
desktop soon because send dbus message too fast?

Maybe add a sequence delay to improve this situation?

[stardiviner]           <Hack this world!>      GPG key ID: 47C32433
IRC(freeenode): stardiviner                     Twitter:  @numbchild
Key fingerprint = 9BAA 92BC CDDD B9EF 3B36  CB99 B8C4 B8E5 47C3 2433
Blog: http://stardiviner.github.io/

* Re: org-notify dbus send message to KDE/Plasma caused desktop suspend
@ 2019-09-11 21:51 ` Adam Porter
From: Adam Porter @ 2019-09-11 21:51 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

"numbchild@gmail.com" <numbchild@gmail.com> writes:

> org-notify dbus send message to KDE/Plasma caused desktop suspend and high CPU,memory resources.
>
> Here is my config:
> ```elisp
> (setq org-notify-audible nil)
> (org-notify-add 'default
>                 '(:time "1h" :period "1h" :duration 8
>                         :actions (-ding -notify/window)
>                         :audible t))
> (org-notify-start (* 60 2))
> ```
>
> When I have about 10 deadline tasks to be reminded at once, dbus suspend desktop soon because send dbus message too fast?
>
> Maybe add a sequence delay to improve this situation?

That workaround might be helpful, but it sounds like a bug somewhere
else in the Plasma/dbus/etc. stack.  I recommend trying to reproduce it
with e.g. the notify-send shell command; if you can, you'll know the bug
isn't with Emacs/Org.

I recommend filing a bug report with KDE, or perhaps with your Linux
distro as a first step.

By the way, I'm not sure what you mean by "desktop suspend."  The word
"suspend" is typically used to mean putting the system into a low-power
sleep state, but I'm guessing you mean that some part of the Plasma UI
is freezing and causing high CPU usage.

* Re: org-notify dbus send message to KDE/Plasma caused desktop suspend
@ 2019-09-13 23:40   ` numbchild
From: numbchild @ 2019-09-13 23:40 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Adam Porter; +Cc: Org-mode