* - before *, special C-a with plain lists, and * to - conversion
@ 2007-08-09 15:13 Scott Jaderholm
From: Scott Jaderholm @ 2007-08-09 15:13 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: org-mode

Welcome back Carsten,

I hope you enjoyed your well-deserved vacation.

#1 is a bug, #2 and #3 are feature requests (both of which sound
familiar; apologies if they've been mentioned before).

1. Type "- " at the beginning of a blank buffer and then press M-RET.
On my system it stalls but if you press C-g it will insert another
line with -, but leave the cursor on the first line. I think it's a
problem with there not being a * first.

2. Should special C-a on plain lists work like it does on headings?

3. Is there a way to convert back and forth between headings and plain
lists? I often find myself creating a list of headings and then
deciding I'd really like it to be a plain list, or visa versa.
Handling indentation would obviously be important. Perhaps C-c - on
headings and C-u C-c - on plain lists could be used?

Thank you,
Scott

* Re: - before *, special C-a with plain lists, and * to - conversion
@ 2007-08-10  8:38 ` Carsten Dominik
From: Carsten Dominik @ 2007-08-10  8:38 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Scott Jaderholm; +Cc: org-mode

Hi Scott,

On Aug 9, 2007, at 17:13, Scott Jaderholm wrote:

> Welcome back Carsten,
>
> I hope you enjoyed your well-deserved vacation.
>
> #1 is a bug, #2 and #3 are feature requests (both of which sound
> familiar; apologies if they've been mentioned before).
>
> 1. Type "- " at the beginning of a blank buffer and then press M-RET.
> On my system it stalls but if you press C-g it will insert another
> line with -, but leave the cursor on the first line. I think it's a
> problem with there not being a * first.

Fixed, thanks.

> 2. Should special C-a on plain lists work like it does on headings?

This sounds indeed familiar, so this has been discussed before.
What do people thing who use the special C-a for headlines?  Should
we have this in items as well???

> 3. Is there a way to convert back and forth between headings and plain
> lists? I often find myself creating a list of headings and then
> deciding I'd really like it to be a plain list, or visa versa.
> Handling indentation would obviously be important. Perhaps C-c - on
> headings and C-u C-c - on plain lists could be used?

Piotr has a way to convert from plain list to outline in org-mouse, but
not the reverse.  I guess we could implement such a command.  I'll put
it on the list....

- Carsten

* Re: - before *, special C-a with plain lists, and * to - conversion
@ 2007-08-11  2:25   ` Bastien
From: Bastien @ 2007-08-11  2:25 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

Carsten Dominik <dominik@science.uva.nl> writes:

> This sounds indeed familiar, so this has been discussed before. What
> do people thing who use the special C-a for headlines? Should we have
> this in items as well???

Why not - but only as an option, no?

Since this new special C-a behavior for lists would be available in
other major modes through orgstruct-mode (which is not the case of the
actual special C-a, only relevant in org-mode), it seems to me that we
need to be very sober on such a change.

--
Bastien

* Re: - before *, special C-a with plain lists, and * to - conversion
@ 2007-08-15 12:20     ` Carsten Dominik
From: Carsten Dominik @ 2007-08-15 12:20 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Bastien; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

On Aug 11, 2007, at 4:25, Bastien wrote:

> Carsten Dominik <dominik@science.uva.nl> writes:
>
>> This sounds indeed familiar, so this has been discussed before. What
>> do people thing who use the special C-a for headlines? Should we have
>> this in items as well???
>
> Why not - but only as an option, no?

My ideas was to not use a special option, but to assume that
if people want this for headlines, they will also want this for
items.  Is that assumption wrong?

> Since this new special C-a behavior for lists would be available in
> other major modes through orgstruct-mode (which is not the case of the
> actual special C-a, only relevant in org-mode), it seems to me that we
> need to be very sober on such a change.

No, orgstruct-mode will not incorporate this feature.

- Carsten

* Re: - before *, special C-a with plain lists, and * to - conversion
@ 2007-08-15 16:14       ` Bastien
From: Bastien @ 2007-08-15 16:14 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

Carsten Dominik <dominik@science.uva.nl> writes:

>>> This sounds indeed familiar, so this has been discussed before. What
>>> do people thing who use the special C-a for headlines? Should we
>>> have this in items as well???
>>
>> Why not - but only as an option, no?
>
> My ideas was to not use a special option, but to assume that if people
> want this for headlines, they will also want this for items. Is that
> assumption wrong?

It's certainly right. I've beeen using this option for a while but i'm
not anymore. Hence my skepticism.

> No, orgstruct-mode will not incorporate this feature.

All right.

--
Bastien