emacs-orgmode@gnu.org archives
 help / color / mirror / code / Atom feed
* Links to datestamped headings broken?
@ 2011-02-24  3:49 Simon Guest
  2011-02-26 17:01 ` Bastien
  0 siblings, 1 reply; 6+ messages in thread
From: Simon Guest @ 2011-02-24  3:49 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-org list

I have an Org mode file with some date-stamped headers, e.g.
** <2011-04-06 Wed> National Bank

When I org-store-link (C-c l) on that line, I get
Stored: <2011-04-06 Wed> National Bank
which seems right.

When I org-insert-link in another org-mode file, I get
 [[file:~/share/notes/maths-competitions.org::*%20National%20Bank][<2011-04-06 Wed> National Bank]]
which looks wrong, and doesn't work.

I expected to see the date in the URL part of the link.

Am I confused, or is something broken?

cheers,
Simon

^ permalink raw reply	[flat|nested] 6+ messages in thread

* Re: Links to datestamped headings broken?
  2011-02-24  3:49 Links to datestamped headings broken? Simon Guest
@ 2011-02-26 17:01 ` Bastien
  2011-02-27  6:17   ` Simon Guest
  2011-02-28 16:32   ` Eric S Fraga
  0 siblings, 2 replies; 6+ messages in thread
From: Bastien @ 2011-02-26 17:01 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Simon Guest; +Cc: emacs-org list

Hi Simon,

Simon Guest <simon.guest@tesujimath.org> writes:

> I have an Org mode file with some date-stamped headers, e.g.
> ** <2011-04-06 Wed> National Bank

It's better to put timestamps outside of the heading.

> When I org-store-link (C-c l) on that line, I get
> Stored: <2011-04-06 Wed> National Bank
> which seems right.

The description of the link is right, the link isn't, because Org
removes the timestamp.

> When I org-insert-link in another org-mode file, I get
>  [[file:~/share/notes/maths-competitions.org::*%20National%20Bank][<2011-04-06 Wed> National Bank]]
> which looks wrong, and doesn't work.
>
> I expected to see the date in the URL part of the link.
>
> Am I confused, or is something broken?

Two simple workarounds: either load the org-id module, which takes care
of creating unique targets for internal links - or don't put timestamps
at the beginning of the heading.

If you see a place in the documentation where we need to be more acurate
please tell us!

HTH,

-- 
 Bastien

^ permalink raw reply	[flat|nested] 6+ messages in thread

* Re: Links to datestamped headings broken?
  2011-02-26 17:01 ` Bastien
@ 2011-02-27  6:17   ` Simon Guest
  2011-06-28 13:31     ` [Orgmode] " Bastien
  2011-02-28 16:32   ` Eric S Fraga
  1 sibling, 1 reply; 6+ messages in thread
From: Simon Guest @ 2011-02-27  6:17 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Bastien; +Cc: emacs-org list

At Sat, 26 Feb 2011 18:01:27 +0100,
Bastien wrote:
> 
> The description of the link is right, the link isn't, because Org
> removes the timestamp.

> Two simple workarounds: either load the org-id module, which takes care
> of creating unique targets for internal links - or don't put timestamps
> at the beginning of the heading.
> 
> If you see a place in the documentation where we need to be more acurate
> please tell us!

Hi Bastien,

Thanks for the explanation.  

I think the info file section 4.4. Handling Links would benefit from a
note on the fact that Org removes the timestamp, and how to work
around this.

cheers,
Simon

^ permalink raw reply	[flat|nested] 6+ messages in thread

* Re: Links to datestamped headings broken?
  2011-02-26 17:01 ` Bastien
  2011-02-27  6:17   ` Simon Guest
@ 2011-02-28 16:32   ` Eric S Fraga
  2011-02-28 18:38     ` Samuel Wales
  1 sibling, 1 reply; 6+ messages in thread
From: Eric S Fraga @ 2011-02-28 16:32 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Bastien; +Cc: emacs-org list

Bastien <bzg@altern.org> writes:

> Hi Simon,
>
> Simon Guest <simon.guest@tesujimath.org> writes:
>
>> I have an Org mode file with some date-stamped headers, e.g.
>> ** <2011-04-06 Wed> National Bank
>
> It's better to put timestamps outside of the heading.

We had a discussion about this a while back; I understand the preference
you state but, in some use cases, it is quite useful to have time stamps
in the headline, particularly because it makes it easy to sort a
sequence of such headlines in chronological order.

Just my 2¢...

-- 
: Eric S Fraga (GnuPG: 0xC89193D8FFFCF67D) in Emacs 24.0.50.1
: using Org-mode version 7.4 (release_7.4.529.gb23d.dirty)

^ permalink raw reply	[flat|nested] 6+ messages in thread

* Re: Re: Links to datestamped headings broken?
  2011-02-28 16:32   ` Eric S Fraga
@ 2011-02-28 18:38     ` Samuel Wales
  0 siblings, 0 replies; 6+ messages in thread
From: Samuel Wales @ 2011-02-28 18:38 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Eric S Fraga; +Cc: Bastien, emacs-org list

Missing context but:

Timestamps on headlines prevent ellipses.

They also allow you to look at a sorted list of headlines to zero in
on a timestamp.  I do this instead of using a date tree.

In case it helps.

Samuel

-- 
The Kafka Pandemic:
http://thekafkapandemic.blogspot.com/2010/12/welcome-to-kafka-pandemic-two-forces_9182.html
I support the Whittemore-Peterson Institute (WPI)
===
I want to see the original (pre-hold) Lo et al. 2010 NIH/FDA/Harvard MLV paper.

^ permalink raw reply	[flat|nested] 6+ messages in thread

* Re: [Orgmode] Links to datestamped headings broken?
  2011-02-27  6:17   ` Simon Guest
@ 2011-06-28 13:31     ` Bastien
  0 siblings, 0 replies; 6+ messages in thread
From: Bastien @ 2011-06-28 13:31 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Simon Guest; +Cc: emacs-org list

Simon Guest <simon.guest@tesujimath.org> writes:

> I think the info file section 4.4. Handling Links would benefit from a
> note on the fact that Org removes the timestamp, and how to work
> around this.

Done, thanks.

-- 
 Bastien

^ permalink raw reply	[flat|nested] 6+ messages in thread

end of thread, other threads:[~2011-06-28 13:30 UTC | newest]

Thread overview: 6+ messages (download: mbox.gz / follow: Atom feed)
-- links below jump to the message on this page --
2011-02-24  3:49 Links to datestamped headings broken? Simon Guest
2011-02-26 17:01 ` Bastien
2011-02-27  6:17   ` Simon Guest
2011-06-28 13:31     ` [Orgmode] " Bastien
2011-02-28 16:32   ` Eric S Fraga
2011-02-28 18:38     ` Samuel Wales

Code repositories for project(s) associated with this inbox:

	https://git.savannah.gnu.org/cgit/emacs/org-mode.git

This is a public inbox, see mirroring instructions
for how to clone and mirror all data and code used for this inbox;
as well as URLs for read-only IMAP folder(s) and NNTP newsgroup(s).