* setting up org-remember
@ 2011-08-29 14:07 Renato
From: Renato @ 2011-08-29 14:07 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

Hello, I'm trying to set up org-remember, however I'm having some
problems. I seem to miss the function org-remember-insinuate (No
Match). However that function seems to be defined in org-remember.el.gz
which is in /usr/share/emacs/23.3/lisp/org (and this path is in
load-path).

should I post somewhere my .emacs?

I'm on archlinux, emacs version 23.3.1 and the org-mode shipped with it
(6.33)

renato

* Re: setting up org-remember
@ 2011-08-29 14:13 ` Sebastien Vauban
From: Sebastien Vauban @ 2011-08-29 14:13 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode-mXXj517/zsQ

Hi Renato,

Renato wrote:
> Hello, I'm trying to set up org-remember, however I'm having some
> problems. I seem to miss the function org-remember-insinuate (No
> Match). However that function seems to be defined in org-remember.el.gz
> which is in /usr/share/emacs/23.3/lisp/org (and this path is in
> load-path).
>
> should I post somewhere my .emacs?
>
> I'm on archlinux, emacs version 23.3.1 and the org-mode shipped with it
> (6.33)

If you can, try updating to Org 7.7 or something approaching. Org-remember has
been replaced by a very similar, but still different set of
variales/templates/etc., package called Org-capture.

So better upgrade first.

Best regards,
  Seb

--
Sebastien Vauban

* Re: setting up org-remember
@ 2011-08-29 18:47   ` Renato
                       ` (3 more replies)
From: Renato @ 2011-08-29 18:47 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Sebastien Vauban; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

On Mon, 29 Aug 2011 16:13:22 +0200
"Sebastien Vauban" <wxhgmqzgwmuf@spammotel.com> wrote:

> Hi Renato,
>
> Renato wrote:
> > Hello, I'm trying to set up org-remember, however I'm having some
> > problems. I seem to miss the function org-remember-insinuate (No
> > Match). However that function seems to be defined in
> > org-remember.el.gz which is in /usr/share/emacs/23.3/lisp/org (and
> > this path is in load-path).
> >
> > should I post somewhere my .emacs?
> >
> > I'm on archlinux, emacs version 23.3.1 and the org-mode shipped
> > with it (6.33)
>
> If you can, try updating to Org 7.7 or something approaching.
> Org-remember has been replaced by a very similar, but still different
> set of variales/templates/etc., package called Org-capture.

yeah, I've seen it (going through the compact guide for 7.7 which
treats org-capture). But since I saw -on the org manual I think- that
upgrading from org-remember to org-capture is rather painless, I was
hoping to be able to stick to the org shipped with emacs. Archlinux
doesn't provide binaries for "standalone" org and compiling it myself
would make future updates more cumbersome - though I'll indeed go that
route if I can't solve this issue in the next few days.

so, no idea on why I can't call org-remember-insinuate?

cheers,
renato

* Re: setting up org-remember
@ 2011-08-29 19:33     ` Sebastien Vauban
       [not found]     ` <CAEWDx5dAuhX=Pu_MZnXAPLyFnJnCEH=nLxU2PKPmUN7J5sN-aQ@mail.gmail.com>
                       ` (2 subsequent siblings)
From: Sebastien Vauban @ 2011-08-29 19:33 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode-mXXj517/zsQ

Hi Renato,

Renato wrote:
> On Mon, 29 Aug 2011 16:13:22 +0200
> "Sebastien Vauban" <wxhgmqzgwmuf-geNee64TY+gS+FvcfC7Uqw@public.gmane.org> wrote:
>> Renato wrote:
>> > Hello, I'm trying to set up org-remember, however I'm having some
>> > problems. I seem to miss the function org-remember-insinuate (No
>> > Match). However that function seems to be defined in
>> > org-remember.el.gz which is in /usr/share/emacs/23.3/lisp/org (and
>> > this path is in load-path).
>> >
>> > should I post somewhere my .emacs?
>> >
>> > I'm on archlinux, emacs version 23.3.1 and the org-mode shipped
>> > with it (6.33)
>>
>> If you can, try updating to Org 7.7 or something approaching.
>> Org-remember has been replaced by a very similar, but still different
>> set of variales/templates/etc., package called Org-capture.
>
> yeah, I've seen it (going through the compact guide for 7.7 which
> treats org-capture). But since I saw -on the org manual I think- that
> upgrading from org-remember to org-capture is rather painless, I was
> hoping to be able to stick to the org shipped with emacs. Archlinux
> doesn't provide binaries for "standalone" org and compiling it myself
> would make future updates more cumbersome - though I'll indeed go that
> route if I can't solve this issue in the next few days.
>
> so, no idea on why I can't call org-remember-insinuate?

I still would advice you to try and use Org 7+. There are huge, really huge,
differences with Org 6.33. Not just on the capture side.

Though, from your description, it seems to me you'd just miss the following
line in your .emacs:

(require 'org-remember)

Just put it there, restart Emacs and tell us whether that was it or not.

Best regards,
  Seb

--
Sebastien Vauban

* Fwd:  setting up org-remember
       [not found]     ` <CAEWDx5dAuhX=Pu_MZnXAPLyFnJnCEH=nLxU2PKPmUN7J5sN-aQ@mail.gmail.com>
@ 2011-08-29 20:08       ` Jonathan Leech-Pepin
From: Jonathan Leech-Pepin @ 2011-08-29 20:08 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

Forwarding to list (forgot to include in reply)

From: Pieter Praet @ 2011-08-29 20:33 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Renato, Sebastien Vauban; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

On Mon, 29 Aug 2011 20:47:48 +0200, Renato <rennabh@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Mon, 29 Aug 2011 16:13:22 +0200
> "Sebastien Vauban" <wxhgmqzgwmuf@spammotel.com> wrote:
>
> > Hi Renato,
> >
> > Renato wrote:
> > > Hello, I'm trying to set up org-remember, however I'm having some
> > > problems. I seem to miss the function org-remember-insinuate (No
> > > Match). However that function seems to be defined in
> > > org-remember.el.gz which is in /usr/share/emacs/23.3/lisp/org (and
> > > this path is in load-path).
> > >
> > > should I post somewhere my .emacs?
> > >
> > > I'm on archlinux, emacs version 23.3.1 and the org-mode shipped
> > > with it (6.33)
> >
> > If you can, try updating to Org 7.7 or something approaching.
> > Org-remember has been replaced by a very similar, but still different
> > set of variales/templates/etc., package called Org-capture.
>
> yeah, I've seen it (going through the compact guide for 7.7 which
> treats org-capture). But since I saw -on the org manual I think- that
> upgrading from org-remember to org-capture is rather painless, I was
> hoping to be able to stick to the org shipped with emacs. Archlinux
> doesn't provide binaries for "standalone" org and compiling it myself
> would make future updates more cumbersome - though I'll indeed go that
> route if I can't solve this issue in the next few days.

Seriously?  Not being bolted down to stale software is one of the main
reasons why people run Arch in the first place :D.

There's PKGBUILDs for both the stable [1] as well as the dev [2] version
in the AUR.  Using one of the "AUR Helpers" [3] (Clyde [4] is my personal
favourite) makes keeping up to date only slightly more "cumbersome"
than running `pacman -Syu'.

Even better, while Org *can* be compiled (or rather byte-compiled),
you don't *have* to:

  #+begin_src sh
    mdir -p ~/src
    git clone git://orgmode.org/org-mode.git ~/src/org-mode
  #+end_src

and stuff this in your `.emacs':

   #+begin_src emacs-lisp
    (add-to-list 'load-path "~/src/org-mode/lisp")
    (add-to-list 'load-path "~/src/org-mode/contrib/lisp")
    (require 'org-install)
  #+end_src

... and an occasional `cd ~/src/org-mode ; git pull' will be all you
need to stay on the cutting edge.

At the pace Org is evolving, running old code will surely cause you more
grief in the long run, so there's really no reason not to keep up to date.

> so, no idea on why I can't call org-remember-insinuate?

Sebastien covered this, but just in case, put this at the top of your `.emacs':

  #+begin_src emacs-lisp
    (setq debug-on-error t)
  #+end_src

... which will provide you with a much more informative error message.

> cheers,
> renato

Peace

--
Pieter

[3] https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/AUR_Helpers
[4] https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Clyde

* Re: setting up org-remember
@ 2011-08-30  9:42 ` Renato
From: Renato @ 2011-08-30  9:42 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode
  Cc: Sebastien Vauban, Nick Dokos, Jonathan Leech-Pepin, Pieter Praet

On Mon, 29 Aug 2011 16:07:33 +0200
Renato <rennabh@gmail.com> wrote:

> Hello, I'm trying to set up org-remember, however I'm having some
> problems.

I really didn't expect these multiple very detailed replies, thank you
very much guys! So it seems that (require 'org-remember) doesn't solve
the problem. I even tried doing M-x load-file
RET /usr/share/emacs/23.3/lisp/org/org-remember.el.gz but still I
there's no match for org-remember-insinuate.

So I'll update org-mode, as you suggested. BTW I do use many packages
from AUR (and clyde too) but, if possible, I try to avoid them as I do
update them far less frequently (mainly because the update process
requires much more user input and is usually much longer). Also clyde
-Syu --aur doesn't recompile git, svn etc. packages IIRC, but that's
another problem and maybe I should look into another AUR helper.

cheers,
renato

* Re: setting up org-remember
                       ` (2 preceding siblings ...)
@ 2011-08-30 16:46     ` Achim Gratz
From: Achim Gratz @ 2011-08-30 16:46 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

Renato <rennabh@gmail.com> writes:
> Archlinux doesn't provide binaries for "standalone" org and compiling
> it myself would make future updates more cumbersome

That's a bad excuse, and also wrong.  It is easy enough to have orgmode
installed without disturbing the Emacs installation and with a little
bit of care you can even have multiple Emacs versions and multiple
orgmode versions installed in parallel.

Install orgmode into …/emacs/site-lisp/org (the ellipsis likely
stands for /usr/share on Arch, but I don't know for sure).

Regards,
Achim.

DIY Stuff:
http://Synth.Stromeko.net/DIY.html

* Re: setting up org-remember
@ 2011-09-02  4:12   ` David Maus
From: David Maus @ 2011-09-02  4:12 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Renato
  Cc: Sebastien Vauban, Nick Dokos, emacs-orgmode, Jonathan Leech-Pepin,
	Pieter Praet

At Tue, 30 Aug 2011 11:42:24 +0200,
Renato wrote:

> On Mon, 29 Aug 2011 16:07:33 +0200
> Renato <rennabh@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> > Hello, I'm trying to set up org-remember, however I'm having some
> > problems.
>
> I really didn't expect these multiple very detailed replies, thank you
> very much guys! So it seems that (require 'org-remember) doesn't solve
> the problem. I even tried doing M-x load-file
> RET /usr/share/emacs/23.3/lisp/org/org-remember.el.gz but still I
> there's no match for org-remember-insinuate.

Although you are going to upgrade locally to 7.x it could useful to
check if there is a problem with the Org version shipped with Emacs
23.3 on Arch Linux.

What exactly do you mean with: "I seem to miss the function
org-remember-insinuate (No Match)."? Does Emacs throw an error if you
call `org-remember-insinuate'? Did you try it with emacs -Q to rule
out a configuration issue (e.g. related to load-path)?

Best,
  -- David
--
OpenPGP... 0x99ADB83B5A4478E6
Jabber.... dmjena@jabber.org

[-- Attachment #2: Type: application/pgp-signature, Size: 230 bytes --]

* Re: setting up org-remember
@ 2011-09-02  7:23     ` Pieter Praet
From: Pieter Praet @ 2011-09-02  7:23 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: David Maus, Renato
  Cc: Sebastien Vauban, Nick Dokos, emacs-orgmode, Jonathan Leech-Pepin

On Fri, 02 Sep 2011 06:12:22 +0200, David Maus <dmaus@ictsoc.de> wrote:
Non-text part: multipart/signed
> At Tue, 30 Aug 2011 11:42:24 +0200,
> Renato wrote:
> >
> > On Mon, 29 Aug 2011 16:07:33 +0200
> > Renato <rennabh@gmail.com> wrote:
> >
> > > Hello, I'm trying to set up org-remember, however I'm having some
> > > problems.
> >
> > I really didn't expect these multiple very detailed replies, thank you
> > very much guys! So it seems that (require 'org-remember) doesn't solve
> > the problem. I even tried doing M-x load-file
> > RET /usr/share/emacs/23.3/lisp/org/org-remember.el.gz but still I
> > there's no match for org-remember-insinuate.
>
> Although you are going to upgrade locally to 7.x it could useful to
> check if there is a problem with the Org version shipped with Emacs
> 23.3 on Arch Linux.

Using the latest binary package (emacs-23.3.a-2-i686), running with -Q option:

M-x version
: GNU Emacs 23.3.1 (i686-pc-linux-gnu, GTK+ Version 2.24.5) of 2011-08-21 on ovide

M-x org-version
: Org-mode version 6.33x

M-x locate-library org-remember
: Library is file /usr/share/emacs/23.3/lisp/org/org-remember.elc

M-: (org-remember-insinuate)
: (org-remember-apply-template)

Calling `org-remember' pops up a *Remember* buffer, and `org-remember-finalize'
saves cleanly to "~/.notes" (which is the default value of `remember-data-file').

No errors, no weird behaviour, everything works as expected: not an Arch issue.

> What exactly do you mean with: "I seem to miss the function
> org-remember-insinuate (No Match)."? Does Emacs throw an error if you
> call `org-remember-insinuate'? Did you try it with emacs -Q to rule
> out a configuration issue (e.g. related to load-path)?
>
> Best,
>   -- David
> --
> OpenPGP... 0x99ADB83B5A4478E6
> Jabber.... dmjena@jabber.org
> Email..... dmaus@ictsoc.de
Non-text part: application/pgp-signature

Peace

--
Pieter