* org-export-babel-evaluate and :exports none
@ 2013-02-17 14:24 Ista Zahn
From: Ista Zahn @ 2013-02-17 14:24 UTC (permalink / raw)

I upgraded to the latest git version yesterday, and am loving the new
exporter. Congrats to all involved!

However, when I set org-export-babel-evaluate to nil the new latex
exporter (I have not tried the others) ignores :exports none source
block header arguments. To reproduce:

1. start emacs with 'emacs -q' and visit a file named tmp.org with the
following contents:
<start org example>

#+TITLE: Source block export test

* Source block export

#+name: test
#+begin_src emacs-lisp :exports none :results silent :tangle no
  ;should not be exported but is
    (setq org-export-babel-evaluate nil)
#+end_src

</end org example>

2. place the point inside the test block and press 'C-c-c' to evaluate it
3. export to latex file with 'C-e l l'

the resulting tmp.tex incorrectly contains

\begin{verbatim}
;should not be exported but is
  (setq org-export-babel-evaluate nil)
\end{verbatim}

If this is an error on my part please correct my examples! Otherwise
please consider this a bug report. 'M-x org-version' reports "Org-mode
version 7.9.3e (7.9.3e-1107-g45442f @
/usr/share/emacs/site-lisp/org/)" on my system, which I believe to be
the latest.

Best,
Ista

* Re: org-export-babel-evaluate and :exports none
@ 2013-02-18 18:22 ` Ista Zahn
From: Ista Zahn @ 2013-02-18 18:22 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hi all,

Just checking to see if anyone was able to reproduce this or if I am
the only one with this problem.

Thanks,
Ista

@ 2013-02-18 18:59   ` Jay Kerns
From: Jay Kerns @ 2013-02-18 18:59 UTC (permalink / raw)

Dear Ista,

On Mon, Feb 18, 2013 at 1:22 PM, Ista Zahn <istazahn@gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> Just checking to see if anyone was able to reproduce this or if I am
> the only one with this problem.
>
> Thanks,
> Ista

I just make update2'ed, followed your recipe, but my tmp.tex did not
incorrectly have the exported source block.  So, I guess I can't
reproduce, unfortunately.

--
Jay Kerns

* Re: org-export-babel-evaluate and :exports none
@ 2013-02-18 19:20     ` Ista Zahn
From: Ista Zahn @ 2013-02-18 19:20 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Mon, Feb 18, 2013 at 1:59 PM, Jay Kerns <gjkernsysu@gmail.com> wrote:
> Dear Ista,
>

> On Mon, Feb 18, 2013 at 1:22 PM, Ista Zahn <istazahn@gmail.com> wrote:
>> Hi all,
>>
>> Just checking to see if anyone was able to reproduce this or if I am
>> the only one with this problem.
>>
>> Thanks,
>> Ista
>
> I just make update2'ed, followed your recipe, but my tmp.tex did not
> incorrectly have the exported source block.  So, I guess I can't
> reproduce, unfortunately.

Thanks for checking Jay. I just tried with make update2 (usually I use
make update), with the same result as I got before (i.e., the code
block is exported). Just to make sure -- you ran the test with emacs
-q right?

Anybody else try this?
Thanks!
Ista

> --
> Jay Kerns

* Re: org-export-babel-evaluate and :exports none
@ 2013-02-18 20:17       ` Nicolas Goaziou
                           ` (2 more replies)
From: Nicolas Goaziou @ 2013-02-18 20:17 UTC (permalink / raw)

Ista Zahn <istazahn@gmail.com> writes:

> Thanks for checking Jay. I just tried with make update2 (usually I use
> make update), with the same result as I got before (i.e., the code
> block is exported). Just to make sure -- you ran the test with emacs
> -q right?
>
> Anybody else try this?
> Thanks!
> Ista

I confirm the problem. It is coming from
12d592b73223f3b0628e10f0f627447b1a312203. I reverted it.

Thanks you.

Nicolas Goaziou

* Re: org-export-babel-evaluate and :exports none
@ 2013-02-18 20:26         ` Ista Zahn
From: Ista Zahn @ 2013-02-18 20:26 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Mon, Feb 18, 2013 at 3:17 PM, Nicolas Goaziou <n.goaziou@gmail.com> wrote:
> Hello,
>
> Ista Zahn <istazahn@gmail.com> writes:
>
>> Thanks for checking Jay. I just tried with make update2 (usually I use
>> make update), with the same result as I got before (i.e., the code
>> block is exported). Just to make sure -- you ran the test with emacs
>> -q right?
>>
>> Anybody else try this?
>> Thanks!
>> Ista
>
> I confirm the problem. It is coming from
> 12d592b73223f3b0628e10f0f627447b1a312203. I reverted it.

I confirm it is now working as expected. Thank you!
-Ista

@ 2013-02-18 20:42         ` Achim Gratz
From: Achim Gratz @ 2013-02-18 20:42 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

Nicolas Goaziou writes:
> I confirm the problem. It is coming from
> 12d592b73223f3b0628e10f0f627447b1a312203. I reverted it.

Doesn't this throw the baby out with the bathtub?  If anything that's an
indication that the evaluation and the exporting of a block should be
independently controllable.  So either org-babel-exp-process-buffer is
not the correct function to call or it needs to take
org-export-babel-evaluate into account.

BTW, the function org-export-execute-babel-code is called before it is
being defined.  Not sure why this doesn't give a warning.

Regards,
Achim.

Wavetables for the Waldorf Blofeld:

* Re: org-export-babel-evaluate and :exports none
@ 2013-02-18 20:49         ` Achim Gratz
From: Achim Gratz @ 2013-02-18 20:49 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

@ 2013-02-20 15:31           ` Nicolas Goaziou
From: Nicolas Goaziou @ 2013-02-20 15:31 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Achim Gratz; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

Hello,

Achim Gratz <Stromeko@nexgo.de> writes:

> Nicolas Goaziou writes:
>> I confirm the problem. It is coming from
>> 12d592b73223f3b0628e10f0f627447b1a312203. I reverted it.
>
> Doesn't this throw the baby out with the bathtub?  If anything that's an
> indication that the evaluation and the exporting of a block should be
> independently controllable.  So either org-babel-exp-process-buffer is
> not the correct function to call or it needs to take
> org-export-babel-evaluate into account.

I'm just starting over because that wasn't a correct solution. I'm not
even sure about what bug this patch fixed.

Anyway, it isn't org-export-babel-evaluate's job to tell when to
evaluate a source code block. It may be org-babel-exp-process-buffer's.
I asked the author of that patch to provide more information about the
context so I can get a clue.

> BTW, the function org-export-execute-babel-code is called before it is
> being defined.  Not sure why this doesn't give a warning.

Why should it? It's not a macro, after all.

Nicolas Goaziou

* Re: org-export-babel-evaluate and :exports none
@ 2013-02-22 20:49             ` Achim Gratz
From: Achim Gratz @ 2013-02-22 20:49 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

Nicolas Goaziou writes:
> I'm just starting over because that wasn't a correct solution. I'm not
> even sure about what bug this patch fixed.

The bug was that Babel blocks were evaluated during export when
org-export-babel-evaluate was explicitly set to nil (the default value
is t).

> Anyway, it isn't org-export-babel-evaluate's job to tell when to
> evaluate a source code block.

The documentation says that its job is exactly that, if the context is
export.

Documentation:
Switch controlling code evaluation during export.
When set to nil no code will be evaluated as part of the export
process.

> It may be org-babel-exp-process-buffer's.

You call org-export-execute-babel-code however, which doesn't check the
above variable.

>> BTW, the function org-export-execute-babel-code is called before it is
>> being defined.  Not sure why this doesn't give a warning.
>
> Why should it? It's not a macro, after all.

Ah yes.  To much C++ the last month.

Regards,
Achim.

* Re: org-export-babel-evaluate and :exports none
@ 2013-02-22 21:42               ` Ista Zahn
From: Ista Zahn @ 2013-02-22 21:42 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Achim Gratz; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

On Fri, Feb 22, 2013 at 3:49 PM, Achim Gratz <Stromeko@nexgo.de> wrote:
> Nicolas Goaziou writes:
>> I'm just starting over because that wasn't a correct solution. I'm not
>> even sure about what bug this patch fixed.
>
> The bug was that Babel blocks were evaluated during export when
> org-export-babel-evaluate was explicitly set to nil (the default value
> is t).

FWIW, I have not experienced this bug. I always set
org-export-babel-evaluate to nil, and this has always had the desired
effect of preventing babel evaluation on export.

Best,
Ista

@ 2013-02-23  8:08               ` Nicolas Goaziou
From: Nicolas Goaziou @ 2013-02-23  8:08 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Achim Gratz; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

Achim Gratz <Stromeko@nexgo.de> writes:

> Nicolas Goaziou writes:
>> I'm just starting over because that wasn't a correct solution. I'm not
>> even sure about what bug this patch fixed.
>
> The bug was that Babel blocks were evaluated during export when
> org-export-babel-evaluate was explicitly set to nil (the default value
> is t).

AFAICT, they aren't.

Try the following in a buffer with `org-export-babel-evaluate' set
alternatively to nil and t:

  #+BEGIN_SRC emacs-lisp :exports both :results value
  (+ 2 2)
  #+END_SRC

>> Anyway, it isn't org-export-babel-evaluate's job to tell when to
>> evaluate a source code block.
>
> The documentation says that its job is exactly that, if the context is
> export.

That was a typo. I meant "it isn't org-export-execute-babel-code's job
...".

>> It may be org-babel-exp-process-buffer's.
>
> You call org-export-execute-babel-code however, which doesn't check the
> above variable.

It doesn't need to. Export = "ox.el", but export + babel = "ob-exp.el".
So everything Babel related should happen there.

So, /if there's a bug/, it should be fixed in ob-exp.el (maybe in
`org-babel-exp-process-buffer's'), not in ox.el.

Nicolas Goaziou

* Re: org-export-babel-evaluate and :exports none
@ 2013-02-23  8:45                 ` Achim Gratz
From: Achim Gratz @ 2013-02-23  8:45 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

Nicolas Goaziou writes:
>> The bug was that Babel blocks were evaluated during export when
>> org-export-babel-evaluate was explicitly set to nil (the default value
>> is t).
>
> AFAICT, they aren't.

So let's go back to the OP (Gregor Kappler, IIRC) and ask for a
reproducible recipe.

Regards,
Achim.