* Bug? Problem compiling git - Cannot open file: avl
@ 2014-01-06  8:59 Rainer M Krug
From: Rainer M Krug @ 2014-01-06  8:59 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

* Re: Bug? Problem compiling git - Cannot open file: avl
@ 2014-01-06  9:40 ` Bastien
From: Bastien @ 2014-01-06  9:40 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Rainer M Krug; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

Rainer M Krug <Rainer@krugs.de> writes:

> I just wanted to update to the newest git and I get repeatedly the error
>
>   Cannot open load file: avl-tree

This is weird.  avl-tree is in Emacs since 2007.

What (require 'avl-tree) returns?

Maybe ask the maintainers of the darwin port.

--
 Bastien

* Re: Bug? Problem compiling git - Cannot open file: avl
@ 2014-01-06 10:03   ` Rainer M Krug
From: Rainer M Krug @ 2014-01-06 10:03 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Bastien; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

On 01/06/14, 10:40 , Bastien wrote:

avl-tree

even when starting with -Q

My guess is that not the homebrew version of emacs is called for
compiling, but the in OS X buildin one, which does not have avl-tree
(to old).

So I now renamed the build-in emacs and tried to update again - now it
works.

The problem seems to been that

a) in my PATH, the /usr/bin (where the build in is located) comes
before /usr/local/bin (where the homebrew is installed).

b) I have set an alias in bash, so that emacs calls the homebrew version

c) the make script somehow does use the PATH but not the alias.

Is this normal, or something unusual in the org make process?

Thanks,

Rainer

- --
Biology, UCT), Dipl. Phys. (Germany)

Stellenbosch University
South Africa

Tel :       +33 - (0)9 53 10 27 44
Cell:       +33 - (0)6 85 62 59 98
Fax :       +33 - (0)9 58 10 27 44

Fax (D):    +49 - (0)3 21 21 25 22 44

email:      Rainer@krugs.de

Skype:      RMkrug

From: Rainer M Krug @ 2014-01-06 10:03 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Bastien; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

@ 2014-01-06 18:18     ` Achim Gratz
From: Achim Gratz @ 2014-01-06 18:18 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

Rainer M Krug writes:
> The problem seems to been that
>
> a) in my PATH, the /usr/bin (where the build in is located) comes
> before /usr/local/bin (where the homebrew is installed).

Except when root, it is almost always wrong to have /usr/local/bin after
any system paths.

> b) I have set an alias in bash, so that emacs calls the homebrew
> version

Depending on where and how you define that alias, sub-shells may or may
not see it.  It is generally a bad idea to rely on aliases for anything
but interactive work.

> c) the make script somehow does use the PATH but not the alias.

Not if EMACS is defined with an absolute path in local.mk.  Also, emacs
should actually be a link to emacs-maj.min (where maj.min denotes Emacs'
version), so if you want to use a specific Emacs rather than the
default, you should again define this in local.mk.

Regards,
Achim.