* Autoopen TODOs AND checkboxes?
@ 2014-05-27 10:25 Sharon Kimble
From: Sharon Kimble @ 2014-05-27 10:25 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: org-mode

In my "organiser" page I have a mixed bag of TODO lists and also
checkbox lists. If I have at the top of the page "#+STARTUP: content"
it opens just showing all of the TODO lists and none of the checkbox
lists. But if I have "#+STARTUP: showall" it shows everything,
including all the hidden dates on the TODOs.

How can I get it to just show all the TODOs and all of the
checkboxes please?

I've looked at the "org manual" and I don’t think its possible, but I
could be wrong. Am I?

Thanks
Sharon.
TGmeds = http://www.tgmeds.org.uk
Debian testing, Fluxbox 1.3.5, emacs 24.3.91.1

[-- Attachment #2: signature.asc --]

* Re: Autoopen TODOs AND checkboxes?
@ 2014-05-28  7:24 ` Alexander Baier
From: Alexander Baier @ 2014-05-28  7:24 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Sharon Kimble; +Cc: org-mode

On 2014-05-27 12:25 Sharon Kimble wrote:
> In my "organiser" page I have a mixed bag of TODO lists and also
> checkbox lists. If I have at the top of the page "#+STARTUP: content"
> it opens just showing all of the TODO lists and none of the checkbox
> lists. But if I have "#+STARTUP: showall" it shows everything,
> including all the hidden dates on the TODOs.
>
> How can I get it to just show all the TODOs and all of the
> checkboxes please?

I do not think this is possible by merely defining the STARTUP
directive.  You will probably need some custom elisp to accomplish
this.  Take a look at org-map-entries to iterate over every headline in
the file and reveal the stuff you want to see. That custom elisp can be
put into org-mode-hook, maybe checking if you are in the right file.

Note: I am just brainstorming here, there might be a solution that is a
lot easier.

Alexander Baier

* Re: Autoopen TODOs AND checkboxes?
@ 2014-05-28 20:54 ` Bastien
From: Bastien @ 2014-05-28 20:54 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Sharon Kimble; +Cc: org-mode

Hi Sharon,

Sharon Kimble <boudiccas@skimble.plus.com> writes:

> How can I get it to just show all the TODOs and all of the
> checkboxes please?

TODOs and checkboxs lists live in different worlds.

Although you can make checkbox lists look like TODOs by using
(setq org-cycle-include-plain-lists t), checkbox lists will always
be very different, because... they belong to a subtree, while TODOs
don't always belong to one.

"opening a checkbox list at point" has a clear meaning, and so does
"opening all subtrees from the buffer" -- but what would mean "opening
all checkbox lists from the buffer"?  Should it open the subtree the
list is part of too?

Anyway, the easy way is to not use both for similar purpose.
You can use [0/0] cookies in your TODOs so that sub-TODOs update
the stats cookie.

--
 Bastien