From: jorge.alfaro-murillo@yale.edu (Jorge A. Alfaro-Murillo)
To: emacs-orgmode@gnu.org
Subject: Re: Other editors supporting Org-Mode
Date: Wed, 08 Oct 2014 14:43:46 -0400	[thread overview]

hymie! writes:

> I would suggest, rather than adapting more editors to support
> Org, creating a stand-alone program that "compiles" and manages
> Org functions separate from the act of editing them.

Perhaps the easiest thing would be an emacs configuration that
makes emacs just an org editor for Word users:

#+BEGIN_SRC emacs-lisp
  (setq-default major-mode 'org-mode)
  (setq initial-major-mode 'org-mode)
  (setq initial-buffer-choice "~/Untitled.org")
  (setq inhibit-startup-message t)
  (setq initial-scratch-message nil)
  (cua-mode)
  (require 'printing)
  (pr-update-menus)

#+END_SRC

And many many (define-key org-mode-map ...) to change default
keybindings and make, e.g., C-a mark-whole-buffer, C-s
save-buffer, C-p pr-txt-buffer, etc. It doesn't matter if the
bindings lose their default binding as long as there is a way to
activate the action in the menus.

The menus should be rewritten, and "Tools" and anything that can
make you lose focus on the current buffer should be removed,
"Buffers" should be renamed "Files opened", etc. There should be
one whole menu for Org-export to avoid the *Org Export Dispatch*
buffer and in general, any "special-mode derived" buffer should be
avoided.

The toolbar should have many more org-only buttons that emacs-org
users generally activate with keybindings: DEMOTE/PROMOTE, INSERT
TIME, INSERT SOURCE BLOCK, etc.

This would be an emacs just to edit org-files (and perhaps also
running code with babel). There wouldn't be access to the agenda,
without the user freaking out and not knowing how to exit (unless
it is always opened on a separate frame I guess). But I think
achieving agenda capabilities in another editor would also be very
difficult.

Best,
--
Jorge.