* anyone syncing orgmode calendar with google cal, and if so how?
@ 2015-10-05  6:46 Xebar Saram
                   ` (4 more replies)
From: Xebar Saram @ 2015-10-05  6:46 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: org mode

Hi all

i was wondering if anyone was syncing orgmode calendar with google cal, and
if so how? i tried this

https://github.com/myuhe/org-gcal.el/issues

which gave errors all the time and thus stopped being usable

im looking for a robust solution. any ideas?

best

* Re: anyone syncing orgmode calendar with google cal, and if so how?
@ 2015-10-05 15:09 ` Eric S Fraga
                   ` (3 subsequent siblings)
From: Eric S Fraga @ 2015-10-05 15:09 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Xebar Saram; +Cc: org mode

On Monday,  5 Oct 2015 at 09:46, Xebar Saram wrote:
> Hi all
>
> i was wondering if anyone was syncing orgmode calendar with google cal, and
> if so how? i tried this

I sync org with Google's calendar using MobileOrg on my phone as the
intermediary.  Generally works quite well.  I would be using MobileOrg
regardless so calendar synchronisation is a very nice bonus.
--
: Eric S Fraga (0xFFFCF67D), Emacs 24.5.1, Org release_8.3.1-203-g4ca3d3

* Re: anyone syncing orgmode calendar with google cal, and if so how?
@ 2015-10-05 15:17 ` Jorge A. Alfaro-Murillo
                   ` (2 subsequent siblings)
From: Jorge A. Alfaro-Murillo @ 2015-10-05 15:17 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

Xebar Saram writes:

> i was wondering if anyone was syncing orgmode calendar with
> google cal, and if so how? i tried this
>
> https://github.com/myuhe/org-gcal.el/issues
>
> which gave errors all the time and thus stopped being usable
>
> im looking for a robust solution. any ideas?

I export the agenda using org-icalendar-combine-agenda-files. If
you have access to a server, it is enough to point
org-icalendar-combined-agenda-file to the right location in your
server and then adding the ics file location in google calendar
(Other calendars/Add by URL). You can automate this with a timer:

#+BEGIN_SRC emacs-lisp
  (org-icalendar-combined-agenda-file
  "~/public_html/calendar.ics")
  (run-with-idle-timer (* 60 60) t
  'org-icalendar-combine-agenda-files)
#+END_SRC

If you do not have access to a server, you could use github
(https://pages.github.com/) or bitbucket
(https://confluence.atlassian.com/bitbucket/publishing-a-website-on-bitbucket-221449776.html)
to create a website for your account. Then you can point
org-icalendar-combined-agenda-file to the repo of your website and
commit and push every time that you export the agenda to the ics
file. In this case change org-icalendar-combined-agenda-file
accordingly.

#+BEGIN_SRC emacs-lisp
  (org-icalendar-combined-agenda-file
  "/path/to/personal/website/repo/calendar.ics")
#+END_SRC

If you do not like timers, you can also automate the process
creating an sh file:

#+BEGIN_EXAMPLE
  #!/bin/bash
  emacsclient -a '' -e "(org-icalendar-combine-agenda-files nil)"
  cd /path/to/personal/website/repo
  git add calendar.ics
  git commit -m "Update calendar"
  git push
#+END_EXAMPLE

And then using a cronjob.

Best,

--
Jorge.

* Re: anyone syncing orgmode calendar with google cal, and if so how?
@ 2015-10-05 17:45   ` Rainer M Krug
From: Rainer M Krug @ 2015-10-05 17:45 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Xebar Saram; +Cc: org mode

> On Monday,  5 Oct 2015 at 09:46, Xebar Saram wrote:
>> Hi all
>>
>> i was wondering if anyone was syncing orgmode calendar with google cal, and
>> if so how? i tried this
>
> I sync org with Google's calendar using MobileOrg on my phone as the
> intermediary.  Generally works quite well.  I would be using MobileOrg
> regardless so calendar synchronisation is a very nice bonus.

Interesting - Android or iOS? if iOS - I would like to know how you do
it.

Cheers,

Rainer

Stellenbosch University
South Africa

Tel :       +33 - (0)9 53 10 27 44
Cell:       +33 - (0)6 85 62 59 98
Fax :       +33 - (0)9 58 10 27 44

Fax (D):    +49 - (0)3 21 21 25 22 44

email:      Rainer@krugs.de

Skype:      RMkrug

PGP: 0x0F52F982

[-- Attachment #2: signature.asc --]

* Re: anyone syncing orgmode calendar with google cal, and if so how?
@ 2015-10-05 18:37     ` Fabrice Popineau
From: Fabrice Popineau @ 2015-10-05 18:37 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Rainer M Krug; +Cc: Xebar Saram, org mode

I have build a merge of elisp code from 2 people (org-gcal and
google-calendar) and enhanced it a little bit.
I can sync both ways from Emacs.
The code is ugly, so I won't publish it. But if anybody wants to clean it
up and make it more solid, I'll send it.

Fabrice

--
Fabrice Popineau
-----------------------------

* Re: anyone syncing orgmode calendar with google cal, and if so how?
@ 2015-10-05 20:36       ` James Richardson
From: James Richardson @ 2015-10-05 20:36 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: fabrice.popineau; +Cc: Xebar Saram, org mode

Fabrice Popineau writes:

> I have build a merge of elisp code from 2 people (org-gcal and
> google-calendar) and enhanced it a little bit.
> I can sync both ways from Emacs.
> The code is ugly, so I won't publish it. But if anybody wants to clean it
> up and make it more solid, I'll send it.

I would like to see the code, perhaps we can make something usable.

--
James

* Re: anyone syncing orgmode calendar with google cal, and if so how?
@ 2015-10-06  9:58 ` Julien Cubizolles
From: Julien Cubizolles @ 2015-10-06  9:58 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

Xebar Saram <zeltakc@gmail.com> writes:

> Hi all
>
> i was wondering if anyone was syncing orgmode calendar with google cal, and
> if so how? i tried this
>
> https://github.com/myuhe/org-gcal.el/issues
>
> which gave errors all the time and thus stopped being usable
>
> im looking for a robust solution. any ideas?

I'm using org-caldav, it's working fine for me.

Julien.

* Re: anyone syncing orgmode calendar with google cal, and if so how?
                   ` (2 preceding siblings ...)
@ 2015-10-06 10:03 ` Julien Cubizolles
From: Julien Cubizolles @ 2015-10-06 10:03 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

Xebar Saram <zeltakc@gmail.com> writes:

> Hi all
>
> i was wondering if anyone was syncing orgmode calendar with google cal, and
> if so how? i tried this
>
> https://github.com/myuhe/org-gcal.el/issues
>
> which gave errors all the time and thus stopped being usable
>
> im looking for a robust solution. any ideas?

I'm using org-caldav, it's working fine for me.

Julien.

* Re: anyone syncing orgmode calendar with google cal, and if so how?
                   ` (3 preceding siblings ...)
@ 2015-10-06 10:21 ` Julien Cubizolles
From: Julien Cubizolles @ 2015-10-06 10:21 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

@ 2015-10-06 13:35   ` Eric S Fraga
From: Eric S Fraga @ 2015-10-06 13:35 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Julien Cubizolles; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

On Tuesday,  6 Oct 2015 at 12:21, Julien Cubizolles wrote:
> I'm using org-caldav, it's working fine for me.

How do you have this working with Google?  It quit working for me due to
authentication changes at the Google end.  I cannot remember the details
unfortunately.

--
: Eric S Fraga (0xFFFCF67D), Emacs 25.0.50.2, Org release_8.3.1-270-g256fef

* Re: anyone syncing orgmode calendar with google cal, and if so how?
@ 2015-10-06 14:45     ` Julien Cubizolles
From: Julien Cubizolles @ 2015-10-06 14:45 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

> On Tuesday,  6 Oct 2015 at 12:21, Julien Cubizolles wrote:
>> I'm using org-caldav, it's working fine for me.
>
> How do you have this working with Google?  It quit working for me due to
> authentication changes at the Google end.  I cannot remember the details
> unfortunately.

Just followed the instructions on the github README page. I've not
looked this authentification problem in Google but from what I gathered
it's still working using the old endpoint for the time being. I'll
reconsider when it won't.

* Re: anyone syncing orgmode calendar with google cal, and if so how?
@ 2015-10-06 15:42       ` Eric S Fraga
From: Eric S Fraga @ 2015-10-06 15:42 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Julien Cubizolles; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

On Tuesday,  6 Oct 2015 at 16:45, Julien Cubizolles wrote:
> Just followed the instructions on the github README page. I've not
> looked this authentification problem in Google but from what I gathered
> it's still working using the old endpoint for the time being. I'll
> reconsider when it won't.

Interesting.  I cannot remember what happened but org-caldav stopped
working and so I went back to using MobileOrg.  I'll stick to what I
have for now but it's good to know that there still exist alternative
approaches, especially for the OP.

--

@ 2015-10-07 11:46   ` Guido Van Hoecke
From: Guido Van Hoecke @ 2015-10-07 11:46 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: org mode, Eric S Fraga

Eric,

Am I correct to assume that you're speaking about MobileOrg on an Android
phone?

I can't see how my iPhone's MobileOrg would allow me to sync with Google,
or am I completely missing out on such an important functionality?

Guido

@ 2015-10-07 11:56     ` Eric S Fraga
From: Eric S Fraga @ 2015-10-07 11:56 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Guido Van Hoecke; +Cc: org mode

On Wednesday,  7 Oct 2015 at 13:46, Guido Van Hoecke wrote:
> Eric,
>
> Am I correct to assume that you're speaking about MobileOrg on an Android
> phone?

yes, sorry, I should have been more clear.  Android version of
MobileOrg.  I know nothing about the iOS version.
--
: Eric S Fraga (0xFFFCF67D), Emacs 25.0.50.2, Org release_8.3.2-161-gd2ac25

* Re: anyone syncing orgmode calendar with google cal, and if so how?
@ 2015-10-07 12:08       ` Guido Van Hoecke
From: Guido Van Hoecke @ 2015-10-07 12:08 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: org mode, Eric S Fraga