* Require feedback on an idea: move to a central server all my org file and edit from there?
@ 2016-01-23  7:22 Xebar Saram
                   ` (4 more replies)
From: Xebar Saram @ 2016-01-23  7:22 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: org mode

Hi all

Was wondering about input regarding having all my orgmode files on a remote
server and editing from there?

I keep syncing (via git,unison etc) all my org files all the time between 4
machines and i just had enough :) im not (and probably never will be)
disciplined enough to properly save and close all my 100's of buffer before
i leave each machine each time and im always faced with conflict/merging
hell..

I was thinking of putting all my org file in one of these cloud servers and
access the files directly and edit them there from any machine..is that a
silly though?

i dont have any real privacy concerns in my files (i use another system for
sensitive info) so that shouldn't be a concern

I would love to hear everyone's thoughts, and if they have a magic
git/unison solution for idiots like me id also welcome that ;-)

thx alot in advance

* Re: Require feedback on an idea: move to a central server all my org file and edit from there?
@ 2016-01-23  8:17 ` Marcin Borkowski
                   ` (3 subsequent siblings)
From: Marcin Borkowski @ 2016-01-23  8:17 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Xebar Saram; +Cc: org mode

On 2016-01-23, at 08:22, Xebar Saram <zeltakc@gmail.com> wrote:

> Hi all
>
> Was wondering about input regarding having all my orgmode files on a remote
> server and editing from there?
>
> I keep syncing (via git,unison etc) all my org files all the time between 4
> machines and i just had enough :) im not (and probably never will be)
> disciplined enough to properly save and close all my 100's of buffer before
> i leave each machine each time and im always faced with conflict/merging
> hell..

Autosave?  Commiting in hooks?  Pulling on starting Emacs (or after some
(considerable) idle time)?

> I was thinking of putting all my org file in one of these cloud servers and
> access the files directly and edit them there from any machine..is that a
> silly though?

I used to use D..pb.x for that, worked rather fine.

Hth,

--
Marcin Borkowski
Adam Mickiewicz University

* Re: Require feedback on an idea: move to a central server all my org file and edit from there?
@ 2016-01-23 13:10 ` Eric S Fraga
                   ` (2 subsequent siblings)
From: Eric S Fraga @ 2016-01-23 13:10 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Xebar Saram; +Cc: org mode

On Saturday, 23 Jan 2016 at 09:22, Xebar Saram wrote:
> Hi all
>
> Was wondering about input regarding having all my orgmode files on a
> remote server and editing from there?

I have a similar situation to you (4 machines, using git + unison) and
sympathise.  I have managed to be careful enough that it works for
me.  However, using a remote server could be quite easy using Emacs
remote access capabilities.

For instance, you can have your org agenda files include remote files:

(setq org-agenda-files '(
  "/ssh:a.remote.hostname.org:/home/user/myremotefile.org"
  "a.local.file.org"))

this will work nicely *if* you have a robust and low latency connection
to the remote server.

Of course, the other solution is to use some proprietary cloud server as
somebody else has already noted.

--
: Eric S Fraga (0xFFFCF67D), Emacs 25.0.50.1, Org release_8.3.3-475-g58af2e

* Re: Require feedback on an idea: move to a central server all my org file and edit from there?
@ 2016-01-23 14:58   ` John Kitchin
From: John Kitchin @ 2016-01-23 14:58 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Xebar Saram, org mode

you might adapt this: https://github.com/bbatsov/super-save

it saves buffers when they lose focus. You could also have them commit and
push with a little more work.

John

-----------------------------------
Professor John Kitchin
Doherty Hall A207F
Department of Chemical Engineering
Carnegie Mellon University
Pittsburgh, PA 15213
412-268-7803
@johnkitchin
http://kitchingroup.cheme.cmu.edu

@ 2016-01-23 18:28     ` Xebar Saram
From: Xebar Saram @ 2016-01-23 18:28 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: John Kitchin, Marcin Borkowski; +Cc: org mode

Thanks for the feedback guys!

Marcin: do you know of good packages or methods to auto push/pull from
emacs each time you save a file (preferably ones that dont require coding
skills :-))

thx

@ 2016-01-23 19:46       ` Peter Davis
From: Peter Davis @ 2016-01-23 19:46 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

I use Dropbox for this purpose. It works perfectly and is completely
transparent.

-pd

--
  Peter Davis
  www.techcurmudgeon.com

* Re: Require feedback on an idea: move to a central server all my org file and edit from there?
@ 2016-01-23 22:13       ` Marcin Borkowski
From: Marcin Borkowski @ 2016-01-23 22:13 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Xebar Saram; +Cc: org mode, John Kitchin

On 2016-01-23, at 19:28, Xebar Saram <zeltakc@gmail.com> wrote:

> Thanks for the feedback guys!
>
> Marcin: do you know of good packages or methods to auto push/pull from
> emacs each time you save a file (preferably ones that dont require coding
> skills :-))

Sadly, no.  But this shouldn't be too difficult - basically, just put
some code to run hg/git/whatever into one of the numerous Emacs hooks.
For instance, check out after-save-hook.  Alternatively, you could
advice a function responsible for actually doing the autosave
(do-auto-save - unfortunately, it's written in C and not in Elisp).

> thx

Best,

--

@ 2016-01-23 22:22         ` Thierry Banel
From: Thierry Banel @ 2016-01-23 22:22 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

Syncthing is your own cloud.
Released under the Mozilla Public License.

@ 2016-01-24  3:00           ` Eric Abrahamsen
From: Eric Abrahamsen @ 2016-01-24  3:00 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

Thierry Banel <tbanelwebmin@free.fr> writes:

> Syncthing is your own cloud.
> Released under the Mozilla Public License.

Almost, but not quite: you still need your own always-on server
somewhere to make it work. I use the Syncthing app on my Android phone,
so that the phone kind of works as a "ferry" for getting files back and
forth between my laptop and desktop. It doesn't work reliably, though
(and I don't always have my phone with me).

I'm considering flashing a nice router to use as a home server, largely
just to make Syncthing work without my having to think about it.

* Re: Require feedback on an idea: move to a central server all my org file and edit from there?
@ 2016-01-24  3:14 ` Eric Brown
  2016-01-25 15:42 ` My sync setup for Org-mode files and more: unison, git (was: Require feedback on an idea: move to a central server all my org file and edit from there?) Karl Voit
From: Eric Brown @ 2016-01-24  3:14 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Xebar Saram; +Cc: org mode

Xebar Saram <zeltakc@gmail.com> writes:

> Hi all
>
> Was wondering about input regarding having all my orgmode files
> on a remote
> server and editing from there?
> I keep syncing (via git,unison etc) all my org files all the
> time between 4
> machines and i just had enough :) im not (and probably never
> will be) disciplined
> enough to properly save and close all my 100's of buffer before
> i leave each
> machine each time and im always faced with conflict/merging
> hell..
>
> I was thinking of putting all my org file in one of these cloud
> servers and access the
> files directly and edit them there from any machine..is that a
> silly though?
>
> i dont have any real privacy concerns in my files (i use another
> system for sensitive
> info) so that shouldn't be a concern
>
> I would love to hear everyone's thoughts, and if they have a
> magic git/unison
> solution for idiots like me id also welcome that ;-)
>
> thx alot in advance

Hi Xebar,

I think I've tried all the options, and I have found that a
centralized
system is best for me.  I'm really tired of the syncing--I spend
way too
much time obssessing over the perfect system.  Others have pointed
out
Dropbox -- this might work but is not FLOSS and costs $.

If you put it in the cloud, it costs $ and you lose control.  See
Richard Stallman's missives on the topic. A cloud system large
enough to
hold all your digital assets could be very very expensive.

Personally, I have settled on one laptop, and a quick pluggable
monitor/keyboard for places that I do a lot of computing,
e.g. home and
work.  I also carry an ergonomic keyboard in my backpack.

My desktop machine stays home, of course, and every "3 months" or
so I
transfer old projects off.  The machine is always available over
cable
modem, with a service like DynDNS running so that I can ssh back
in at
my leisure.  (I don't need these 8 TB with me at all times.)

Eric

* Re: Require feedback on an idea: move to a central server all my org file and edit from there?
@ 2016-01-25  8:08             ` Loris Bennett
From: Loris Bennett @ 2016-01-25  8:08 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

> Thierry Banel <tbanelwebmin@free.fr> writes:
>
>> Syncthing is your own cloud.
>> Released under the Mozilla Public License.
>
> Almost, but not quite: you still need your own always-on server
> somewhere to make it work. I use the Syncthing app on my Android phone,
> so that the phone kind of works as a "ferry" for getting files back and
> forth between my laptop and desktop. It doesn't work reliably, though
> (and I don't always have my phone with me).
>
> I'm considering flashing a nice router to use as a home server, largely
> just to make Syncthing work without my having to think about it.

If you are going to run a home server, would ownCloud be an option?

Cheers,

Loris

* Re: Require feedback on an idea: move to a central server all my org file and edit from there?
@ 2016-01-25  8:30               ` Eric Abrahamsen
From: Eric Abrahamsen @ 2016-01-25  8:30 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

"Loris Bennett" <loris.bennett@fu-berlin.de> writes:

>> Thierry Banel <tbanelwebmin@free.fr> writes:
>>
>>> Syncthing is your own cloud.
>>> Released under the Mozilla Public License.
>>
>> Almost, but not quite: you still need your own always-on server
>> somewhere to make it work. I use the Syncthing app on my Android phone,
>> so that the phone kind of works as a "ferry" for getting files back and
>> forth between my laptop and desktop. It doesn't work reliably, though
>> (and I don't always have my phone with me).
>>
>> I'm considering flashing a nice router to use as a home server, largely
>> just to make Syncthing work without my having to think about it.
>
> If you are going to run a home server, would ownCloud be an option?

I tried to put that on an Ubuntu server I've got hosted somewhere, and
gosh did it try to install a lot of stuff. Nor would it start up after
it was installed! It felt like a whole lot of bulk.

On the other hand, I've set up git repositories on that server (I don't
put Syncthing there because I'm syncing many, many gigabytes of data),
and a caldav thing with Radicale, and some HTML pages... Perhaps at some
point will make sense to just install an omnibus package like
OwnCloud.

Eric

* Re: Require feedback on an idea: move to a central server all my org file and edit from there?
@ 2016-01-25  9:15                 ` Loris Bennett
From: Loris Bennett @ 2016-01-25  9:15 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

> "Loris Bennett" <loris.bennett@fu-berlin.de> writes:
>
>> Eric Abrahamsen <eric@ericabrahamsen.net> writes:

>>> Almost, but not quite: you still need your own always-on server
>>> somewhere to make it work. I use the Syncthing app on my Android phone,
>>> so that the phone kind of works as a "ferry" for getting files back and
>>> forth between my laptop and desktop. It doesn't work reliably, though
>>> (and I don't always have my phone with me).
>>>
>>> I'm considering flashing a nice router to use as a home server, largely
>>> just to make Syncthing work without my having to think about it.
>>
>> If you are going to run a home server, would ownCloud be an option?
>
> I tried to put that on an Ubuntu server I've got hosted somewhere, and
> gosh did it try to install a lot of stuff. Nor would it start up after
> it was installed! It felt like a whole lot of bulk.

I have ownCloud running on a decidedly unsuitable wheezy old netbook
(Eee PC 1000HA) under Ubuntu 15.10.  The only thing I particularly
remember about the installation was having to fiddle around with
self-signed SSL certificates.

I mainly sync the calendars between phone and my main laptop, plus a
small number of small files which I don't have in Git.  I just switch on
the laptop when I think something needs syncing.  I backup the ownCloud
directory on the nettop to a USB drive attached to the router using the
standard Ubuntu backup program (duplicity, I think).  I actually think
that only having to backup a single machine is one of the main
advantages of ownCloud.

> On the other hand, I've set up git repositories on that server (I don't
> put Syncthing there because I'm syncing many, many gigabytes of data),
> and a caldav thing with Radicale, and some HTML pages... Perhaps at some
> point will make sense to just install an omnibus package like
> OwnCloud.

YMMV depending on what exactly you need to sync, but it works for me,
although I should probably move it to something like a Rasperry Pi,
which I could leave on.

Cheers,

Loris

* Re: Require feedback on an idea: move to a central server all my org file and edit from there?
@ 2016-01-25 14:14                   ` Eric Abrahamsen
From: Eric Abrahamsen @ 2016-01-25 14:14 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

"Loris Bennett" <loris.bennett@fu-berlin.de> writes:

>>> If you are going to run a home server, would ownCloud be an option?
>>
>> I tried to put that on an Ubuntu server I've got hosted somewhere, and
>> gosh did it try to install a lot of stuff. Nor would it start up after
>> it was installed! It felt like a whole lot of bulk.
>
> I have ownCloud running on a decidedly unsuitable wheezy old netbook
> (Eee PC 1000HA) under Ubuntu 15.10.  The only thing I particularly
> remember about the installation was having to fiddle around with
> self-signed SSL certificates.
>
> I mainly sync the calendars between phone and my main laptop, plus a
> small number of small files which I don't have in Git.  I just switch on
> the laptop when I think something needs syncing.  I backup the ownCloud
> directory on the nettop to a USB drive attached to the router using the
> standard Ubuntu backup program (duplicity, I think).  I actually think
> that only having to backup a single machine is one of the main
> advantages of ownCloud.
>
>> On the other hand, I've set up git repositories on that server (I don't
>> put Syncthing there because I'm syncing many, many gigabytes of data),
>> and a caldav thing with Radicale, and some HTML pages... Perhaps at some
>> point will make sense to just install an omnibus package like
>> OwnCloud.
>
> YMMV depending on what exactly you need to sync, but it works for me,
> although I should probably move it to something like a Rasperry Pi,
> which I could leave on.

It seems like if you're still having to boot a machine on purpose when
you need the service, then that's the main obstacle! There are many,
many services that are only practically useful when they're always on.
Is your router+USB drive not always on?

* Re: Require feedback on an idea: move to a central server all my org file and edit from there?
@ 2016-01-25 14:51                     ` Loris Bennett
From: Loris Bennett @ 2016-01-25 14:51 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

[snip: stuff about syncthing (22 lines)]

>>> I tried to put that on an Ubuntu server I've got hosted somewhere, and
>>> gosh did it try to install a lot of stuff. Nor would it start up after
>>> it was installed! It felt like a whole lot of bulk.
>>
>> I have ownCloud running on a decidedly unsuitable wheezy old netbook
>> (Eee PC 1000HA) under Ubuntu 15.10.  The only thing I particularly
>> remember about the installation was having to fiddle around with
>> self-signed SSL certificates.
>>
>> I mainly sync the calendars between phone and my main laptop, plus a
>> small number of small files which I don't have in Git.  I just switch on
>> the laptop when I think something needs syncing.  I backup the ownCloud
>> directory on the nettop to a USB drive attached to the router using the
>> standard Ubuntu backup program (duplicity, I think).  I actually think
>> that only having to backup a single machine is one of the main
>> advantages of ownCloud.
>>
>>> On the other hand, I've set up git repositories on that server (I don't
>>> put Syncthing there because I'm syncing many, many gigabytes of data),
>>> and a caldav thing with Radicale, and some HTML pages... Perhaps at some
>>> point will make sense to just install an omnibus package like
>>> OwnCloud.
>>
>> YMMV depending on what exactly you need to sync, but it works for me,
>> although I should probably move it to something like a Rasperry Pi,
>> which I could leave on.
>
> It seems like if you're still having to boot a machine on purpose when
> you need the service, then that's the main obstacle! There are many,
> many services that are only practically useful when they're always on.
> Is your router+USB drive not always on?

You are right of course, but although I do occasionally boot it just to
sync, in fact the nettop lies around in the living room or kitchen and
is often on anyway.  The router with the USB drive is indeed always on
but it is also the DSL modem, so even if there were an open firmware
available for it, I would be rather wary of tinkering with it for fear
of bricking it and thus "breaking the internet" and incurring the wrath
of my family (they almost certainly wouldn't grant me enough of a
maintenance window to try anyway).  So I think a Pi is probably the way
to go.

Cheers,

Loris

* My sync setup for Org-mode files and more: unison, git (was: Require feedback on an idea: move to a central server all my org file and edit from there?)
                   ` (2 preceding siblings ...)
@ 2016-01-25 15:42 ` Karl Voit
From: Karl Voit @ 2016-01-25 15:42 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

Hi!

* Xebar Saram <zeltakc@gmail.com> wrote:

> I keep syncing (via git,unison etc) all my org files all the time between 4
> machines and i just had enough :) im not (and probably never will be)
> disciplined enough to properly save and close all my 100's of buffer before
> i leave each machine each time and im always faced with conflict/merging
> hell..

I do have privacy concerns since my most precious data is all
managed via Org-mode.

My system with four machines (1x Win7, 3x Linux) is:

- home desktop:
  - gitwatch + auto-commit: committing all changes when I save a
    file (or a file gets synced)
  - unison over ssh: sync with my own root-server via 10min cron-job

- root server:
  - just providing data and sync services
  - no Emacs processing

- home notebook:
  - unison over ssh to root server (10min cron-job)

- work (Win7):
  - manual unison sync in the morning & evening

Since I close Emacs when I'm done working on a machine, I avoid
merge hell so far.

I never forget to sync because Org is very important to me and the
sync jobs don't just sync Org-mode files but my whole core data-set
of several hundreds megabytes. I tend to use this functionality also
for "high-frequency" backup of my most important data.

--
mail|git|SVN|photos|postings|SMS|phonecalls|RSS|CSV|XML to Org-mode:

https://github.com/novoid/extract_pdf_annotations_to_orgmode + more on github

* Re: Require feedback on an idea: move to a central server all my org file and edit from there?
@ 2016-01-26 15:21         ` Jorge A. Alfaro-Murillo
From: Jorge A. Alfaro-Murillo @ 2016-01-26 15:21 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

Marcin Borkowski writes:

> On 2016-01-23, at 19:28, Xebar Saram <zeltakc@gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> Thanks for the feedback guys!
>>
>> Marcin: do you know of good packages or methods to auto
>> push/pull from emacs each time you save a file (preferably ones
>> that dont require coding skills :-))
>
> Sadly, no.  But this shouldn't be too difficult - basically,
> just put some code to run hg/git/whatever into one of the
> numerous Emacs hooks.  For instance, check out after-save-hook.
> Alternatively, you could advice a function responsible for
> actually doing the autosave (do-auto-save - unfortunately, it's
> written in C and not in Elisp).

You also might want to check git-annex, specifically the
assistant: https://git-annex.branchable.com/assistant/

Best,
--
Jorge.

* Re: My sync setup for Org-mode files and more: unison, git (was: Require feedback on an idea: move to a central server all my org file and edit from there?)
@ 2016-02-02 17:08   ` Tim O'Callaghan
From: Tim O'Callaghan @ 2016-02-02 17:08 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Karl Voit; +Cc: org-mode

Hi,

My setup uses Dropbox and encfs. It is the best cross platform
solution for managing this problem i have come across. I used to use
git repos, unison, ssh tunneling, etc, but Dropbox beats them all
hands down, and i can use it with a free account.

- Windows - Dropbox + boxcryptor classic
- Andoid - Dropbox + android Boxcryptor classic or cryptonite
- Linux/Macos - Dropbox + encfs

I created a script to automount and manage encfs and possible
conflicts on the encrypted filesystem from my bash command line. You
can find the script here:
https://github.com/timoc/encfsbox

I've been using this setup for a few years now and it auto-syncs all
of my org files, research material etc (and git repositories) securely
between multiple hosts.
I also use it to securely share org-files and working support material
with others,

The only caveat is to add this line (or add a org-mode hook) to the
top of your org file, so that if an org file is open elsewhere when
you edit your dropbox it will get auto-reloaded by emacs:

# -*- mode: org; mode:auto-revert; -*-

Dropbox manages conflict detection between the various hosts. I have
very  rarely had any conflicts between hosts. If you use my enfsbox
script it will automatically tell you if it encounters conflicts in
the encrypted files, and you can call it with the C parameter to move
the conflicted file into the encfs filesystem so you can perform a
merge.

Hope this helps.

Tim.
P.S. if you like this idea, and want to create a Dropbox account,
please use this link: https://db.tt/d1zHZ92
It donates extra dropbox storage to me, for which i will tidy-up and
publish my multi-dropbox account version and accept feature requests
via github :)

On 25 January 2016 at 16:42, Karl Voit <devnull@karl-voit.at> wrote:
> Hi!
>
> * Xebar Saram <zeltakc@gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>> I keep syncing (via git,unison etc) all my org files all the time between 4
>> machines and i just had enough :) im not (and probably never will be)
>> disciplined enough to properly save and close all my 100's of buffer before
>> i leave each machine each time and im always faced with conflict/merging
>> hell..
>
> I do have privacy concerns since my most precious data is all
> managed via Org-mode.
>
> My system with four machines (1x Win7, 3x Linux) is:
>
> - home desktop:
>   - gitwatch + auto-commit: committing all changes when I save a
>     file (or a file gets synced)
>   - unison over ssh: sync with my own root-server via 10min cron-job
>
> - root server:
>   - just providing data and sync services
>   - no Emacs processing
>
> - home notebook:
>   - unison over ssh to root server (10min cron-job)
>
> - work (Win7):
>   - manual unison sync in the morning & evening
>
> Since I close Emacs when I'm done working on a machine, I avoid
> merge hell so far.
>
> I never forget to sync because Org is very important to me and the
> sync jobs don't just sync Org-mode files but my whole core data-set
> of several hundreds megabytes. I tend to use this functionality also
> for "high-frequency" backup of my most important data.
>
> --
> mail|git|SVN|photos|postings|SMS|phonecalls|RSS|CSV|XML to Org-mode:
>        > get Memacs from https://github.com/novoid/Memacs <
>
> https://github.com/novoid/extract_pdf_annotations_to_orgmode + more on github

* Re: Require feedback on an idea: move to a central server all my org file and edit from there?
                   ` (3 preceding siblings ...)
@ 2016-02-07  6:52 ` Carlos Sosa
From: Carlos Sosa @ 2016-02-07  6:52 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

Xebar Saram <zeltakc@gmail.com> writes:

> I would love to hear everyone's thoughts, and if they have a magic
> git/unison solution for idiots like me id also welcome that ;-)
>
> thx alot in advance

  Seems like everybody suggested their favorite solutions, I used to
  make use of Unison, but have since moved to Joey Hess's git-annex,
  check it out. Do try git-annex assistant, which is a great webapp to
  help you achieve something like dropbox.

  That's how I keep my org files and gnus files in synch between my 4
  boxes.

  - Carlos