* Bug: Inconsistent behaviour about inline markup
@ 2023-01-14 20:12 c.buhtz
From: c.buhtz @ 2023-01-14 20:12 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Emacs orgmode

Hello,

I'm not sure if this is a bug or intended by design. Please point to the
correct documentation if there is one.
I'm also not sure if Orgmode is the related component here or if there
is any other?

What I describe is in the context of auto-formating markup in orgmode.
When you type "=verb=" or "~code~" the first and last character
disappears but the text gets another color. In GUI mode also "/" and "*"
will disapear and make the word italic or bold.

What characters are allowed in front of the beginning inline marker
("=", "~", "/", "*", etc) and after the ending marker.
Allowed may not be the correct word. With which characters is Orgmode
still able to recognize the markup right.

Examples (the " are not part of the data)

  - "=verb=" -> OK, because line beginning and ending are allowed
  - "(=verb=)" -> OK
  - " =verb=}" -> OK. Space/blank and curly bracket allowed

- "=verb=\" -> OK. Backslash at the end.
- "\=verb=" -> BAD. Backslash in the beginning not allowed. No
formatting happens.
- ")=verb=(" -> BAD. "inverted" brackets not allowed.
- "=verb=." ->OK. Dot at the end.
- ".=verb=" -> BAD. Dot at the beginning.

IMHO there shouldn't be a difference in the allowed characters in front
of the beginning inline marker (the "=" here in the example) and the one
after the ending inline marker.

First of all it would help me if this is documented somewhere.

Second it would improve my (regex) code (which have to parse such
org-markup) and its maintainability if allowed characters would be
uniform/consistent.

Kind
Christian

* Re: Bug: Inconsistent behaviour about inline markup
@ 2023-01-15  6:22 ` Timothy
From: Timothy @ 2023-01-15  6:22 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: c.buhtz; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

Hi Christian,

> Please point to the correct documentation if there is one.

See <https://orgmode.org/worg/org-syntax.html#Emphasis_Markers>.

All the best,
Timothy

--
Timothy (‘tecosaur’/‘TEC’), Org mode contributor.
or support my work at <https://liberapay.com/tec>.

* Re: Bug: Inconsistent behaviour about inline markup
@ 2023-01-15 10:16   ` c.buhtz
From: c.buhtz @ 2023-01-15 10:16 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

Dear Timothy,

On 2023-01-15 14:22 Timothy <orgmode@tec.tecosaur.net> wrote:
> See <https://orgmode.org/worg/org-syntax.html#Emphasis_Markers>.

Thanks a lot. That help to make my code consistent.

But please take this also as a BugReport (because there seems to be no
regular bug tracker for orgmode). I see no need to restrict the allowed
characters that way they are. PRE and POST should be the same.
The only one exception is [ for POST because I suspect this isn't
implementable via RegEx or would interfere with parsing of links.

* Re: Bug: Inconsistent behaviour about inline markup
@ 2023-01-15 10:31     ` Ihor Radchenko
From: Ihor Radchenko @ 2023-01-15 10:31 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: c.buhtz; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

<c.buhtz@posteo.jp> writes:

> But please take this also as a BugReport (because there seems to be no
> regular bug tracker for orgmode). I see no need to restrict the allowed
> characters that way they are. PRE and POST should be the same.
> The only one exception is [ for POST because I suspect this isn't
> implementable via RegEx or would interfere with parsing of links.

The aim of limited PRE and POST is allowing dwim literal "*" in ordinary
text where users do not really intend to use emphasis.

The current approach is probably not ideal, but making changes to regexp
raises the risk of breaking existing Org documents that worked in the
past but may not because emphasis will be incorrectly recognized after
changing the syntax.

Any changes in this area should be done with caution.

--
Ihor Radchenko // yantar92,
Org mode contributor,