* CSS and cascading
@ 2008-06-26  7:45 Rustom Mody
                   ` (2 more replies)
From: Rustom Mody @ 2008-06-26  7:45 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

I am no CSS expert but as I understand the 'cascade' -- C in the CSS -- is
used so that one can compose a style piecemeal from simpler styles.  If I
use the suggestions of incorporating CSS given in the org manual in the CSS
support of HTML export (section 12.5.5) the new CSS replaces the old.

Is it not the CSS philosophy that it should rather add to the cascade?

* Re: CSS and cascading
@ 2008-06-26 11:58 ` Sebastian Rose
From: Sebastian Rose @ 2008-06-26 11:58 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: [emacs-orgmode]

Hi Rustom

It is the philosophy of CSS. Did you add all your stylesheets/styles to
the varible 'org-export-html-style'?

> I am no CSS expert but as I understand the 'cascade' -- C in the CSS --
> is used so that one can compose a style piecemeal from simpler styles.
> If I use the suggestions of incorporating CSS given in the org manual in
> the CSS support of HTML export (section 12.5.5) the new CSS replaces the
> old.
>
> Is it not the CSS philosophy that it should rather add to the cascade?

[-- Attachment #2: sebastian_rose.vcf --]

begin:vcard
fn:Sebastian Rose
n:Rose;Sebastian
email;internet:sebastian_rose@gmx.de
title:Fachinformatiker/Anwendendungsentwicklung
tel;cell:+49 173 / 83 93 417
note;quoted-printable:Entwicklung  von Internetanwendungen und Programmen  mit  freien  Werkzeu=
	gen  und Bibliotheken.=0D=0A=
	=0D=0A=
	PHP, Java, C/C++,  Bash,  Perl,  Apache, MySQL,  PostgreSQL, xt::commerce=
	, Typo3, Server,  Netzwerk,  Desktop, Datenbank, gtkmm=0D=0A=

x-mozilla-html:FALSE
version:2.1
end:vcard

* Re: CSS and cascading
@ 2008-06-26 14:37 ` Rustom Mody
From: Rustom Mody @ 2008-06-26 14:37 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

Sebastian Rose wrote:

> Did you add all your stylesheets/styles to the varible
> 'org-export-html-style'?

How to add??
I find a fairly large string there most of which I want to leave as-is and
say add only a
body {border-left: 12px}
How do I do that?

What I was suggesting is that the default which is put into the
org-export-html-style variable
* should be moved to the html file
* the variable should be empty by default
* if the user specifies a new set of styles they should be cascaded
before/after this default (Not sure if the CSS spec says 'before' overrides
or 'after']

* Re: CSS and cascading
@ 2008-06-29 19:16 ` Carsten Dominik
From: Carsten Dominik @ 2008-06-29 19:16 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Rustom Mody; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

On Jun 26, 2008, at 9:45 AM, Rustom Mody wrote:

> I am no CSS expert but as I understand the 'cascade' -- C in the CSS
> -- is used so that one can compose a style piecemeal from simpler
> styles.  If I use the suggestions of incorporating CSS given in the
> org manual in the CSS support of HTML export (section 12.5.5) the
> new CSS replaces the old.

I think this is a reasonable expectation.  While it is good that the
user can replace the entire style info or point to a css file, I agree
that there should also be a possibility to add to the default style
specifications.

I have just implemented a new variable `org-export-html-style-extra'
that can be used for this purpose.  The text in the new variable will
be spliced into the style, just before the </style> tag.  Note that if
you use the org-export-html-style variable to refer to a .css style
*file*, org-export-html-style-extra will be ignored.

- Carsten